- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Accredited Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer the Full Pathway cataract surgery package for Bupa customers ...more
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Oaks Hospital, Hospital of St John & St Elizabeth .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Surgical retinal
Mr Jignesh Patel is a Consultant Ophthalmologist with a specialist interest in Vitreoretinal Surgery and Medical Retina at the Essex County Hospital, Colchester. He completed his training at Moorfields Eye Hospital including Medical Retina and Vitreoretinal Fellowships.
He has developed a special interest in diabetic retinopathy and its management combining laser management with newer treatments, having also completed a research degree in diabetic macular oedema at the Institute of Ophthalmology, London including specialist cataract surgery in patients with diabetic retinopathy. Currently he is the Clinical Lead for the Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Service for the North East Essex area. He is also the joint Lead for the Age-Related Macular Degeneration service at The Essex County Hospital.
Areas of interest
• Cataract surgery • Vitreoretinal surgery • Retinal disease / surgery; age related macular degeneration; diabetic retinopathy; retinal vein occlusions; retinal detachment and retinal tears; macular holes; epiretinal membranes; anti-VEGF treatments.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust
Research clinic every friday morning. Research into retinal diseases especially diabetic retinopathy and age related macular degeneration and retinal vein occlusion, Exploring new drugs and techniques to treat these important potentially blinding condition
General keep fit and travel, reading
The ABRAHAMS PRIZE for HISTOPATHOLOGY 1992
Certificate of Merit for Immunology 1992
Stringer Fellowship, research grant award for research in diabetic retinopathy
MD (Doctorate in Medicine, University of London) and MSc Clinical Leadership (University of Warwick)
15 publications in wide variety of journals from RETINA, British Journal of Ophthalmology, Eye, Experimental Eye Research
Courses offered to GPs
AT St John and St Elizabeth -
- BSc (Hons) University of London 1990
- MBBS University of Londom 1993
- FRCOphth Royal COllege of Ophthalmologists 1999
- Doctorate in Medicine (MD) University of London 2008
- MSc with Merit Clinical Leadership University of Warwick 2014
- Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship Moorfields Eye Hospital 2008
- Medical Retina Fellowship Moorfields Eye Hospital 2009
- Surgical and Medical Retina Fellowship Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Australia 2005
Reference number 4029595
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Full member Royal College of Ophthalmologists 1999
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate for Specialist Training, 2009
- Essex County Hospital, CO3 3NB
- 12:00 - 18:00
- 01206 753213
- Hospital of St John & St Elizabeth, NW8 9NH
- 08:30 - 17:00
- 01206 753213
- Oaks Hospital, CO4 5XR
- 08:00 - 12:00
- 01206 753213
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr Jignesh Patel
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Intravitreal injection of pharmaceutical for neovascular age related macular degeneration - (1-5)
Yag laser photodisruption of posterior capsule of lens (including laser capsulotomy) - unilateral - (1-5)
Ultrasound phacoemulsification of cataract, with lens implant - unilateral (including topical or local anaesthetic) - (1-5)
Excision of lesion of eyelid - (1-5)