- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Ramsay Oaks Hospital, Hospital of St John & St Elizabeth .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
This healthcare professional is currently treating patients. Please speak to them to find out more about their availability.
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Surgical retinal
Mr Jignesh Patel is a Consultant Ophthalmologist with a specialist interest in Vitreoretinal Surgery and Medical Retina at the Essex County Hospital, Colchester. He completed his training at Moorfields Eye Hospital including Medical Retina and Surgical Retina Fellowships.
He has developed a special interest in diabetic retinopathy and its modern management , having completed a research degree (MD) in diabetic macular oedema at the Institute of Ophthalmology, London. Also specialising in cataract surgery (use of standard and premium lenses) and cataract surgery for patients with coexisting retinal problems. Currently he is the Clinical Lead for the Eye Department in Colcheter and previously Patient Safety Lead for the Trust.
Areas of interest
• Cataract surgery • Vitreoretinal surgery • Retinal disease / surgery; age related macular degeneration; diabetic retinopathy; retinal vein occlusions; retinal detachment and retinal tears; macular holes; epiretinal membranes; anti-VEGF treatments ; steroid treatments for retinal disease
Current NHS consultant posts held
Colchester Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust
Research clinic every friday morning. Research into retinal diseases especially diabetic retinopathy and age related macular degeneration and retinal vein occlusion, Exploring new drugs and techniques to treat these important potentially blinding condition
General keep fit and travel, reading
The ABRAHAMS PRIZE for HISTOPATHOLOGY 1992
Certificate of Merit for Immunology 1992
Stringer Fellowship, research grant award for research in diabetic retinopathy
MD (Doctorate in Medicine, University of London) MSc Clinical Leadership (University of Warwick)
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Afrikaans - Basic
- Dutch - Basic
15 publications in wide variety of journals from RETINA, British Journal of Ophthalmology, Eye, Experimental Eye Research
Courses offered to GPs
AT St John and St Elizabeth - \
at OAKS Hospital, Colchester
At Colchester Hospital
in a review of 120 cataract operations I have performed all patients were satisfied with final vision better than 6/9 which is the level of vision for driving standards. Most achieving 6/6 or 20/20 standard. All patients started off at a vision worse than the recognised driving standard.
- BSc (Hons) University of London 1990
- MBBS University of Londom 1993
- FRCOphth Royal COllege of Ophthalmologists 1999
- Doctorate in Medicine (MD) University of London 2008
- MSc with Merit Clinical Leadership University of Warwick 2014
- Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship Moorfields Eye Hospital 2008
- Medical Retina Fellowship Moorfields Eye Hospital 2009
- Surgical and Medical Retina Fellowship Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Australia 2005
Reference number 4029595
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Full member Royal College of Ophthalmologists 1999
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate for Specialist Training, 2009
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the American Society of Retinal Specialists (ASRS)
Member of American Academy of Ophthalmologists (AAO)
- Colchester Eye Centre CO4 5JR
- 08:00 - 18:00
- 07568 766527
- Hospital of St John & St Elizabeth, NW8 9NH
- 08:30 - 16:30
- 07557 040097
- Oaks Hospital, CO4 5XR
- 08:00 - 18:00
- 07568 766527
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr Jignesh Patel