- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Metabolic medicine
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Holt is a Consultant Gastroenterologist & Liver Specialist based at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham where he has worked as a Consultant Physician for over 12 years.
Dr Holt receives referrals from across the country and holds regular clinics in Birmingham, Gloucester, Hereford and the Isle of Man in his NHS practice. Andrew's sub-specialist interest is liver disease and primary liver cancer and he receives patient referrals from Consultants across England and Wales requesting consideration for liver transplantation.
Dr Holt is currently the Deputy Divisional Director for Specialty Medicine and Surgery at the University Hospital of Birmingham after acting as Clinical Service Lead for the Liver Unit for many years.
Areas of interest
Gastrointestinal disorders; Fatty liver; Cirrhosis; Liver Transplant; All forms of liver disease and liver cancer; Endoscopy; Dyspepsia; IBS; Pancreas disease; Pancreatic cancer; Liver cancer; Alcohol-related disease; Fatty liver; NASH; PBC; PSC; Autoimmune disease; ERCP.
Andrew cares for patients with a wide variety of GI conditions including pancreas disorders, stomach diseases and gastrointestinal conditions.
In his specialist practice Dr Holt looks after patients with diseases such as fatty liver (NAFL), Viral Hepatitis (Hepatitis B & C infection) and alcohol-related liver damage as well as primary liver cancer. Andrew has clinics for rare conditions such as autoimmune hepatitis, PBC and PSC as well as Haemochromatosis and Wilson's disease.
Dr Holt is expert in FibroScan, ERCP and endoscopy. He uses the latest therapies for HBV and HCV infection, ascites and portal hypertension, including Alfa-pump, Pleur-X drainage catheters and TIPSS.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Deputy Medical Director
Division 2a - Specialty Medicine and Surgery
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Testing for liver disease
Access for Liver Transplantation
Alcohol Liver Disease
My local church
Cycling and learning to sail
2012 - Fellowship of the RCP London
2007 - European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL) Young Investigator Award
2006 - British Association for the Study of the Liver Prize
July 2006 MGS + Oxford Gut Club Prize
2005 - British Association for the Study of the Liver Prize
2005 - Medical Research Council (MRC) Clinical Research Training Fellowship
2005 - European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL) Investigator Award
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Welsh - Basic
1. Liver transplantation for alcohol-related liver disease in the UK: revised UK Liver Advisory Group recommendations for referral
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021
Nov;6(11):947-955. doi: 10.1016/S2468-1253(21)00195-3.
S Masson, H Aldersley and A Holt
2. Resuming liver transplantation amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Aug;5(8):725-726. doi: 10.1016/S2468-1253(20)30187-4
Lembach H, Hann A, McKay SC, Holt A, et.al.
3. Nutrition in alcohol-related liver disease: Physiopathology and management. World J Gastroenterol. 2020 Jun 14;26(22):2916-2930. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v26.i22.2916
Kamran U, Towey J, Khanna A, Chauhan A, Rajoriya N, Holt A.
4. Adult liver transplantation: A UK clinical guideline - part 1: pre-operation Frontline Gastroenterol. 2020; 11(5): 375–384. doi: 10.1136/flgastro-2019-101215
Charles Millson, Aisling Considine, Matthew E Cramp, Andrew Holt, et. al.
5. Adult liver transplantation: UK clinical guideline - part 2: surgery and post-operation Frontline Gastroenterol. 2020; 11(5): 385–396. doi: 10.1136/flgastro-2019-101216
Charles Millson, Aisling Considine, Matthew E Cramp, Andrew Holt et. al.
6. Obesity in acute alcoholic hepatitis increases morbidity and mortality. EBioMedicine. 2019 Jul;45:511-518 Parker R, Kim SJ, Im GY, Nahas J, Dhesi B, Vergis N, Sinha A, Ghezzi A, Rink MR, McCune A, Aithal GP, Newsome PN, Weston CJ, Holt A, Gao B.
7. Large-duct cholangiopathies: aetiology, diagnosis and treatment. Menon S, Holt A. Frontline Gastroenterol. 2019 Jul;10(3):284-291
8. Home-Based Exercise in Patients Awaiting Liver Transplantation: A Feasibility Study.Williams FR, Vallance A, Faulkner T, Towey J, Durman S, Kyte D, Elsharkawy AM, Perera T, Holt A, et.al. Liver Transpl. 2019
9. Digital cholangioscopic evaluation of a post-liver transplantation stricture. VideoGIE. 2018 Feb 28;3(3):81-82. doi: 10.1016/j.vgie.2017.12.003 Menon S, Holt A.
10. Transplanting Patients with Alcohol-related Liver Disease in the National Health System: New Rules and Decisions. Alcohol Alcohol. 2018 Mar 1;53(2):145-150 Parker R, Holt A.
11. Home-based exercise therapy in patients awaiting liver transplantation: protocol for an observational feasibility trial. BMJ Open. 2018 Jan 21;8(1):e019298. Williams FR, Vallance A, Faulkner T, Towey J, Kyte D, Durman S, Johnson J, Holt A, Perera MT, Ferguson J, Armstrong MJ.
Courses offered to GPs
Andrew regularly speaks at National and International meetings for Consultants, Gastroenterology Trainees, Hospital Specialists and Nurses. He is a popular speaker at patient support groups & primary care training events and often teaches at local GP and VTS-GP training events.
If you would like invite Andrew to speak at an event please contact his PA, Ms Laura Ayres, at the liver unit.
- FRCP (London) Royal College of Physicians 2012
- MRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians 1999
- MB ChB (Honours) Sheffield University 1996
- Ph.D University of Birmingham 2008
Reference number 4300656
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Secretary British Liver Transplant Group 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council, 2008
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of London
Collegiate member of the RCP (London)
British Association for the Study of the Liver (BASL)
British Viral Hepatitis Group
British Society of Gastroenterologists (BSG)
British Medical Association (BMA)
European Association for the study of the Liver
- BMI The Priory Hospital Priory Road Edgbaston...
- 14:00 - 18:30
- 07746 698110
- The Liver Unit (Outpatients), Queen Elizabeth...
- 16:30 - 18:30
- 07746 698110
Post treatment communication
Through hospital switchboard at Queen Elizabeth Hospital and via PA.