- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Metabolic medicine
- Video and telephone consultations
Dr Holt has been based at the Birmingham Liver Unit for over 10 years and is Chair of the Liver Transplant Board and lead Physician for Live-donor Transplantation.
He is Clinical Lead for the Dept. Hepatology and Liver Transplantation, based at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, which is currently the largest liver unit in Europe.
Areas of interest
Dr Holt is a Consultant Hepatologist (Liver Specialist) working in Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital, currently the largest Solid Organ Transplant Unit in Europe.
Andrew specialises in liver diseases(Hepatology) as well as Liver Transplantation and receives referrals from Consultants and GP's around the region and across the country. His area of interest includes all forms of liver disease e.g. alcohol-related diseases, fatty liver disease, NASH, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C infection and the treatment of liver cancer (HCC).
Because of the national reputation of the Liver Unit, Andrew also looks after patients with rare conditions, such as autoimmune hepatitis and PSC as well as Haemochromatosis and Wilson's disease.
Dr Holt is an expert in FibroScan, ERCP and hepatobiliary endoscopy, including treatment for oesophageal and gastric varices. He uses the latest therapies for HBV and HCV infection, ascites and portal hypertension, including Alfa-pump and TIPSS.
- Nabeela Saeed
- BMI The Priory Hospital Priory Road Edgbaston BIRMINGHAM B5 7UG
- 0121 446 1670
- 0121 446 1682
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
2012 - Fellowship of the RCP London
2007 - European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL) Young Investigator Award
2006 - British Association for the Study of the Liver Prize
July 2006 MGS + Oxford Gut Club Prize
2005 - British Association for the Study of the Liver Prize
2005 - Medical Research Council (MRC) Clinical Research Training Fellowship
2005 - European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL) Investigator Award
English and (Bad) Welsh
1. Hepatopulmonary Disorders in Portal Hypertension Holt AP et.al. AlimPharmTher 2012
2. QJM. 2012 Sep;105(9):879-82
3. Hepatology. 2010 Jun;51(6):2030-9
4. BMJ. 2010 Dec 2;341
5. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011 Mar;73(3):630-2
6. Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (in Press 2011)
7. BMJ. 2010 Dec 2;341:c6764
8. Hepatology. 2010 Jun;51(6):2030-9.
9. Gastroenterology. 2009 Feb;136(2):705-14
10. Clin Liver Dis. 2008 Nov;12(4):861-82.
Courses offered to GPs
Andrew regularly speaks at National and International meetings for Hospital Specialists and Nurses. He is a popular speaker at primary care training events and is often asked to speak to local GPs and National Primary Care training events.
- MB ChB (Honours) Sheffield University 1996
- Ph.D University of Birmingham 2008
- FRCP (London) Royal College of Physicians 2012
- MRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians 1999
Reference number 4300656
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of London
Collegiate member of the RCP (London)
British Association for the Study of the Liver (BASL)
British Viral Hepatitis Group
British Society of Gastroenterologists (BSG)
British Medical Association (BMA)
European Association for the study of the Liver
- BMI The Priory Hospital Priory Road Edgbaston...
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 0121 446 1670
- Spire Parkway Hospital Damson Parkway...
- 19:00 - 21:00
- 0845 850 1451
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, we will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Through hospital switchboard at Queen Elizabeth Hospital