- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Metabolic medicine
Dr Holt is a Consultant Gastroenterologist and Hepatologist based at the Birmingham Liver Unit where he has worked for over 12 years. He holds regular clinics in Birmingham, Gloucester and Hereford in his NHS practice and specialises in the complications of liver disease and primary liver cancer. Andrew receives referrals from across England and Wales for patients being referred for consideration of liver transplantation.
He is currently the Deputy Divisional Director for Specialty Medicine and Surgery at the University Hospital of Birmingham after acting as Clinical Service Lead for the liver unit for many years.
Areas of interest
Dr Holt is a Liver Specialist working in Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital, currently the largest Solid Organ Transplant Unit in Europe.
Andrew specialises in liver disease management and Liver Transplantation and receives referrals from Consultants and GP's from around the region and across the country.
Dr Holt looks after patients with all forms of liver disease such as fatty liver disease (NAFL), Viral Hepatitis B & C infection, alcohol-related liver damage as well as patients being treated for primary liver cancer. Because of the national reputation of the Liver Unit, Andrew also looks after patients with rarer conditions, such as autoimmune hepatitis, PBC and PSC as well as Haemochromatosis and Wilson's disease.
Dr Holt is an expert in FibroScan, ERCP and hepatobiliary endoscopy. He uses the latest therapies for HBV and HCV infection, ascites and portal hypertension, including Alfa-pump, Pleur-X drainage catheters and TIPSS.
- Ms Nabeela Saeed
- BMI The Priory Hospital Priory Road Edgbaston BIRMINGHAM B5 7UG
- 0121 446 1670
- 0121 446 1682
- Ms. Laura Ayres
- Personal Assistant to Dr Holt Office of Dep Divisional Director Queen Elizabeth Hospital Edgbaston Birmingham B15 2TH
- 0121 371 4768
- Video and telephone consultations
2012 - Fellowship of the RCP London
2007 - European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL) Young Investigator Award
2006 - British Association for the Study of the Liver Prize
July 2006 MGS + Oxford Gut Club Prize
2005 - British Association for the Study of the Liver Prize
2005 - Medical Research Council (MRC) Clinical Research Training Fellowship
2005 - European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL) Investigator Award
1. Large-duct cholangiopathies: aetiology, diagnosis and treatment. Menon S, Holt A.
Frontline Gastroenterol. 2019 Jul;10(3):284-291
2. Home-Based Exercise in Patients Awaiting Liver Transplantation: A Feasibility Study.
Williams FR, Vallance A, Faulkner T, Holt A, Ferguson J, Lord JM, Armstrong MJ.
Liver Transpl. 2019 Jul;25(7):995-1006
3. Digital cholangioscopic evaluation of a post-liver transplantation stricture. Menon S, Holt A.
VideoGIE. 2018 Feb 28;3(3):81-82
4. Transplanting Patients with Alcohol-related Liver Disease in the National Health System: New Rules and Decisions. Parker R, Holt A.
Alcohol Alcohol. 2018 Mar 1;53(2):145-150
5. Home-based exercise therapy in patients awaiting liver transplantation: protocol for an observational feasibility trial. Williams FR, Vallance A, Faulkner T, Holt A, Perera MT, Ferguson J, Armstrong MJ BMJ Open. 2018 Jan 21;8(1)
6. Radiological insertion of automated low flow ascitic pump (alfapump®) system for management of medically refractory ascites.
Karkhanis S, Jones R, Willis A, Holt A, Tripathi D. BJR Case Rep. 2017 Jun 20;3(4)
7. Clinical and microbiological features of infection in alcoholic hepatitis: an international cohort study. Parker R, Im G, Jones F, Hernández OP, Aithal GP, Holt A, Stewart S. J Gastroenterol. 2017 Nov;52(11):1192-1200.
8. Portopulmonary hypertension: Still an appropriate consideration for liver transplantation? Verma S, Bathgate A, Masson S, Holt A, Houlihan DD, Ferguson JW.
Liver Transpl. 2016 Dec;22(12):1637-1642
9. Prednisolone or pentoxifylline for alcoholic hepatitis. Thursz MR, Richardson P, Allison M, Austin A, Bowers M, Day CP, Downs N, Gleeson D, MacGilchrist A, Grant A, Holt A, Masson S, McCune A, Mellor J, O'Grady J, Patch D, Ratcliffe I, Roderick P, Stanton L, Vergis N, Wright M, Ryder S, Forrest EH; STOPAH Trial.
N Engl J Med. 2015 Apr 23;372(17):1619-28
10. Hepatitis B and C prophylaxis in patients receiving chemotherapy. Lim R, Holt A.
Viral Hepat Pract. 2014 Jul 1;6(1):10-13
11. Screening immigrants for tuberculosis--why not for HBV infection? Williams R, Holt AP.
Lancet. 2013 Jun 22;381(9884):2164-5
12. Hepatopulmonary Disorders in Portal Hypertension Holt AP et.al. AlimPharmTher 2012
13. Acute liver failure after administration of paracetamol at the maximum recommended daily dose in adults. Claridge LC, Eksteen B, Smith A, Shah T, Holt AP. BMJ. 2010 Dec 2;341:c6764
Courses offered to GPs
Andrew regularly speaks at National and International meetings for Consultants, Gastroenterrology Trainees, Hospital Specialists and Nurses. He is a popular speaker at patient support groups & primary care training events and often teaches at local GP and VTS-GP training events.
If you would like invite Andrew to speak at an event please contact his PA, Ms Laura Ayres, at the liver unit.
- MB ChB (Honours) Sheffield University 1996
- Ph.D University of Birmingham 2008
- FRCP (London) Royal College of Physicians 2012
- MRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians 1999
Reference number 4300656
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of London
Collegiate member of the RCP (London)
British Association for the Study of the Liver (BASL)
British Viral Hepatitis Group
British Society of Gastroenterologists (BSG)
British Medical Association (BMA)
European Association for the study of the Liver
- BMI The Priory Hospital Priory Road Edgbaston...
- 14:00 - 17:30
- 0121 446 1670
- Spire Parkway Hospital Damson Parkway...
- 19:00 - 21:00
- 0121 704 1451
- The Liver Unit (Outpatients), Queen Elizabeth...
- 16:30 - 19:30
- 0121 371 4768
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, we will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Through hospital switchboard at Queen Elizabeth Hospital and via PA.