- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Spire Bushey Hospital, Spire Harpenden Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Oculoplastic surgery
- Surgical lacrimal
Mr Andre Ismail is a Consultant Ophthalmic and Oculoplastic Surgeon, working in the NHS and in private practice. He practices general ophthalmology including small incision cataract surgery. He has had subspecialist training in the field of oculoplastic (eyelid) and lacrimal (tear duct) surgery. His particular area of clinical interest lies in the management of eyelid conditions ranging from aesthetic to reconstructive in nature.
Mr Ismail qualified at Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School, London in 1996, and underwent postgraduate medical training in Emergency Medicine, Neurosurgery and Ophthalmology in London, and the South East. After completing his general ophthalmic training, he spent two years in subspecialist fellowships in Oculoplastic & Lacrimal Surgery in Salisbury and at Moorfields Eye Hospital.
Areas of interest
Cataract surgery; Eyelid Surgery; Watery eyes / lacrimal disorders
- Maxine Steinberg
- 40 Thornbury Gardens Borehamwood WD6 1RE
- 020 8386 6398
- 020 8386 6398
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Rupali Naik Fee Assured
- Dr Jayanta Mukherjee Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmic & Oculoplastic Surgeon West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Outside work, Mr Ismail enjoys sporting activities and is a social squash and golf player. He enjoys music and plays the piano and flute.
Double Clinical Excellence Awards in Ophthalmology West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust.
1) Nitrous oxide cryotherapy for primary periocular basal cell carcinoma: outcome at 5 years follow-up.
Moesen I, Duncan M, Cates C, Taylor A, Wintle RV, Ismail A, Lim DK, Tyers AG.
Br J Ophthalmol. 2011 Dec; 95(12): 1679-81
2) Surgical technique: Modified lateral tarsorrhaphy.
De Silva DJ, Ramkissoon YD, Ismail AR, Beaconsfield M.
Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2011, May-Jun; 27(3): 216-8
3) Novel description of autosomal dominant early onset aponeurotic ptosis and corneal limbal vascularization in a three generation family
Ismail AR, Cates CC, Mullins RF, Manners RM, Lotery AJ
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007 Nov-Dec;23(6):484-6
4)Wegener’s Granulomatosis masquerading as upper lid chalazion
Ismail AR, Theaker JM, Manners RM
Eye. 2007 Jun;21(6):883-4
5) Assessment of intraocular pressure measurements following penetrating keratoplasty with Goldman applanation tonometry and dynamic contour tonometry
Ismail AR, Lamont M, Khan-Lim D, Mcleod JDA, Anderson DF
Br J Ophthalmol. 2007 Jul;91(7):980-1
6) Compressive optic neuropathy in fungal hypertrophic pachymeningitis
Ismail AR, Clifford L, Meacock WR
Eye 2007 Apr;21(4): 568-9
7) Regional nerve block for upper lid surgery
Ismail AR, Anthony T, Mordant D, Maclean H
Eur J Ophthalmol 2006 Jul-Aug;16(4):509-13
8) Hyperferritinaemia cataract syndrome – ocular, genetic and biochemical findings
Ismail AR, Lachlan KL, Mumford AD, Temple IK, Hodgkins PR
Eur J Ophthalmol 2006 Jan-Feb;16(1):153-60
9) Optical coherence tomography imaging of severe commotio retinae and associated macular hole
Ismail AR, Williamson TH, Tanner V
Br J Ophthalmol 2002 Apr;86(4):473-4
10) Primary polypseudophakia for high hypermetropia cataract surgery - refractive results and long term stability within the capsular bag.
Eleftheriadis H, Sciscio A, Ismail A, Hull C, Liu CSC
Br J Ophthalmol 2001 Oct;85(10):1198-202
11) Visual loss as the presenting feature of acute myeloid leukaemia.
Ismail AR, Verity DR, Brittain GP
Eye 2001 Oct;15(5):681-3
12) Ballooning of the conjunctiva during phacoemulsification.
Ismail AR, Eleftheriadis H, Vakalis A, Liu CSC.
J Cataract Refract Surg. 2001 Jun;27(6):801-2.
Courses offered to GPs
Regular lunchtime and evening educational sessions for Gps and Optometrists
- BSc Pathology Charing Cross and Westminister Medical School London 1995
- MB BS Charing Cross and Westminister Medical School London 1996
- FRCOPHTH Royal College of Ophthalmologists London 2006
- Fellowship Oculoplastic and Lacrimal Surgery Southampton University and Salisbury District Hospitals 2006
- Fellowship Oculoplastic and Lacrimal Surgery Moorfields Eye Hospital London 2007
Reference number 4310316
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophthalmology, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Member British Oculoplastic Surgery Society
- Spire Bushey Hospital, WD23 1RD
- 08:30 - 12:30
- 020 8950 9090
- Spire Harpenden Hospital, AL5 4BP
- 18:00 - 20:30
- 01582 763191
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Monday to Friday daytime 0208 386 6398
Out of hours 07798856988