- Not Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Breast surgery
Haitham graduated from Cairo University Medical School in 1995. Shortly after, he started his oncoplastic career in the National Cancer Institute (NCI Cairo University) one of the most reputable cancer institutes in the Middle East and the Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Department of Cairo University Hospitals. He spent 9 years at Cairo University where he obtained both a Masters (MSc) and Medical Doctorate (MD) degree. Following these achievements, Haitham sought international experience in the UK where he spent three and a half years for his fellowship at the internationally recognised unit for breast, plastic and reconstruction at Kings College and St Thomas' Hospital, London, UK including a year of micro-vascular surgery senior fellowship. He was appointed as a Consultant Reconstructive Surgeon at Heart of England NHS Foundation trust in 2009 where he introduced the microvascular surgery for breast reconstruction. He was also the first to set up and perform the first free micro-vascular surgical procedure for breast reconstruction in 2015 at Spire Health care Parkway.
Since 2010 Haitham has been acting as the Audit and Reconstructive surgery clinical service Lead at Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust. The unit serves the breast unit which treats on average 650 breast cancers annually where he performs an average of 300 breast oncoplastic related procedures/year. To his knowledge he is one of the very few reconstructive surgeons in UK with surgical oncological background which adds to the depth in consideration of the oncological aspects during discussing reconstructive options to tailor them according to patient's needs (Individualized treatment for cancer patients).
In 2014 as part of his continuous educational responsibilities he obtained an Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer at (College of Medical & Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham). He specialises in oncoplasty, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery for breast diseases including cancer, developmental conditions and gynecomastia for male breast:
A- Providing full armamentarium of breast reconstruction post mastectomy either immediately (skin sparing and nipple sparing) or delayed:-
*Implant and autologous tissue transfer including microvascular procedures
*Management of partial breast defects post wide local excision.
* Management of post mastectomy lymphedema with lymph node transfer
B- All types of aesthetic breast procedures.
C- Haitham has developed the oncoplasty thoracic service with the thoracic team for provision of chest wall reconstruction at the supra-regional thoracic centre at Heartlands for different pathologies. This centre is considered one of the largest centres in Europe for this specialized work.
D- Haitham provides abdominal/trunk and perineal reconstruction for complex defects for several pathologies as part of the multidisciplinary colorectal team.
He is a regular speaker in national and international meetings for Breast, thoracic, abdomen and perineal reconstruction including American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland (SCTS), Mediterranean Society of pelvic floor disorder (MSPFD). He regularly teaches on several international instructional courses in Middle East countries especially micro-vascular breast reconstruction procedures. He is an author for 40 publications in high profile journals for Plastic and Reconstructive surgery. Haitham is a full member of several highly reputable international societies including American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and Association of Breast Surgery (ABS).
In 2016, Haitham together with the thoracic team introduced the first custom built 3D printed titanium implant for sternal reconstruction. This procedure was only the first of its kind in the UK and the second in the world so it’s going to be fascinating to see how this technology develops. This has been broadcasted by the BBC (trust me I am a doctor episode 6).
Areas of interest
Breast reconstruction; implant; acellular dermal matrix (ADM); latissimus dorsi flap; free flap; microvascular tissue transfer; abdomen DIEP; MSTRAM; thigh TMG;TUG; gluteal region SGAP;
Partial breast defect management; Thoracodorsal artery perforator (TAP); Muscle sparing Latissimus dorsi (MSLD); Intercostal artery perforator (ICAP); therapeutic mammoplasty;
Capsulectomy; exchange of ruptured implants;
Aesthetic breast surgery; reduction mammoplasty; augmentation mammoplasty; mastopexy (Uplift);
Lipofilling; fat transfer; fat graft;
Chest wall reconstruction;
Abdominal wall reconstruction;
perineal reconstruction; pilonidal disease; incisional hernia reconstructive procedures;
- Carla O'Brien
- Good Hope Hospital Rectory Road SUTTON COLDFIELD B75 7RR
- 0121 424 9590
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Sethu Veerabadran Fee Assured
- Spire Healthcare
- Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland (SCTS)
- Chest wall reconstruction 3D custom titanium implant
- BBC documentary chest wall reconstruction
- International Member of American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- Invited speaker
- patient feedback
- Video for chest wall reconstruction
- Video for perineal reconstruction 9Recto-vaginal fistula)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Oncoplasty & Reconstructive Surgery
Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust
Audit and Reconstructive Surgery Clinical Lead
- Microvascular tissue transfer (DIEP/MSTRAM)
- Management of Partial breast defect post wide local excision for breast cancer
- Thoracic (Chest wall) reconstruction
- Abdominal/Trunk and Perineal reconstruction
- Management of postmastectomy lymphodema (Inguinal Lymph node transfer)
- Enjoy playing Squash on competitive level in Warwickshire League
- Windsurfing (Mistral Boards)
- Listening to classic music
Three Clinical Excellence Awards for developing the Breast Oncoplasty /Thoracic Oncoplasty and Perineal reconstruction service at Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://content.digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB02731/clin-audi-supp-prog-mast-brea-reco-2011-rep1.pdf
I always bench mark my practice aganist national and international standards.
From the clinical governance point of view I am in a continous audit process and annual apprasials to ensure that I provide the highest standards to achieve the best outcomes. This also leads to continous personal and professional development
- MBBCH Cairo University (Medical School and Hospitals) 1995
- MSc (Master Degree in Surgery) Cairo University (Medical School and Hospitals) 1999
- MD (Medical Doctorate degree) Oncoplasty and Reconstructive Surgery Cairo University (Medical School and Hospitals) 2004
- MRCS(Ed) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2005
- FRCS(Eng) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2009
- Senior Breast Oncoplasty Fellowship King's College Hospital, London 2006
- Senior Microvascular & Plastic Surgery Fellowship Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital, London 2008
Reference number 6134408
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Surgery, Subspecialty Breast Oncoplasty and Reconstructive Surgery, 2008
Affiliations / memberships
Full Member of
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- Association of Breast Surgery (ABS)
- British Association of Surgical Oncology (BASO)
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS)
- Egyptian Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons (ESPRS)
- Affiliate Member of European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO)
- Spire Healthcare Parkway Clinic
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 0121 704 5500
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please contact Spire Healthcare Parkway Hospital on 01217045500