- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Dr Ashish P Desai completed his training in paediatric surgery in India. He then obtained his FRCS (Paediatric Surgery).
He is a Consultant Paediatric Surgeon at King’s College Hospital and Honorary senior lecturer at King’s College London. He performs range of surgeries for conditions like Phimosis, Tongue Tie, Hernia and Undescended testis. He also specialises in laparoscopic surgery and performs key hole surgeries for GE Reflux, appendicitis and gall stones.
He has established the surgical weight loss centre for Adolescents at the hospital. He routinely performs Gastric Band and Sleeve Gastrectomy.
He has been a part of numerous national committees and has been working towards establishing adolescent bariatric surgery standards in the country.
He has written numerous academic articles and chapters both on bariatric surgery as well as general paediatric surgery. He has been invited speaker in many international and national meetings.
Areas of interest
Gastro-intestinal tract (surgery);
Gall Stones - Cholecystectomy, Splenectomy, Gastro Oesophageal Reflux, Gastrostomy, Constipation,
Paediatric Urology: Undescended Testis, Torsion testis,Phimosis, Circumcision
General Paediatric surgery; Hernias, including inguinal hernia; Umbilical Hernia, Ingrowing Toe Nails, Dermoid Cysts
Laparoscopic procedures (‘keyhole surgery');
- Jane Clewlow
- Medway Maritime Hospital Windmill Road GILLINGHAM ME7 5NY
- 01634 830000
- Kiean Edwards
- Department of Paediatric Surgery Kings College Hospital Denmark Hill LONDON SE5 9RS
- 020 3299 3090
- 020 3299 4021
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Paediatric Surgeon
King’s College Hospital NHS Trust
Bariatric Surgery and Obesity related diseases in children
- Named by Times amongst Britain’s Top 100 CHildren’s Specialist
- Part of team receiving Maternity Unit Miracle Award
Numerous articles in peer reviewed journals.
Multiple newpaper and online articles in BBC Online, observer, Mail on sunday.
Courses offered to GPs
- Common Surgical Conditions in Children
- Paediatric Trauma
- Adolescent Obesity - Prevention and treatment options
- Laparoscopic Surgery in children
- FRCS Intercollegiate Examination Board 2006
- Fellow European Board of Examinations European Board of Paediatric Surgery 2005
- Diplomate National Board National Board of Examinations, Indian 1995
- MCh Mumbai University, Indian 1994
Reference number 4660372
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Executive Board Member European Society of Paediatric Endoscopic Surgeons 2013
- Lead - Paediatric Obesity British Association of Paediatric Surgeons 2014
- Specialist Advisor National Institute for Health & Clinical Excellence ( NICE) 2013
- Committee Member, Clinicians Reference Group CRG - Morbid Obesity , NHS England 2013
- Specialist Advisor - Too lean a service National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death ( NCEPOD) - 2012
- Deputy Clinical Director King's College Hospital 2015
Details of entry to specialist register
- Paediatric Surgery, 2006
- BMI Chelsfield Park Hospital, BR6 7RG
- 09:00 - 10:00
- 01689 877855
- Harley Street Children's Hospital35 Weymouth...
- 12:00 - 13:00
- 020 3299 3050
- King's College Hospital (Guthrie Clinic), SE5 9RS
- 16:30 - 17:00
- 020 8290 1314
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
02032999000 - Ext 3090
Or 01634 830000 Ext 5977
OR - Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Members seen by me will be given direct contact details -
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Frenotomy /frenectomy of tongue - (1-5)
Primary repair of inguinal hernia - (1-5)
Primary repair of inguinal hernia - bilateral - (1-5)
Preputioplasty - (1-5)
Laparoscopic appendicectomy - (1-5)
- Show All (7)...