- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Upper GI surgery
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Efthimiou undertook his basic surgical training in London and pursued his research interests at the Imperial Cancer Research Fund in Hammersmith Hospital where he investigated molecular and cellular changes in pancreatic cancer.
He completed his higher surgical training in The Wessex Deanery and developed a specialist interest in upper gastro-intestinal and laparoscopic surgery. He spent his final year in training at The Royal Marsden Hospital in London in Upper gastrointestinal cancer surgery.
Subsequently he obtained an advanced fellowship in laparoscopic bariatric surgery at McGill University in Montreal, Canada. He returned to UK and was appointed as a Consultant in General and Bariatric Surgery at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. He set up the Gastric Band Adjustment Clinic at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in 2009. He organised the first Course in UK in Emergencies in Bariatric Surgery which runs annually since 2009. He is Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer at Imperial College.
His expertise is in general surgery, emergency surgery, minimally invasive upper gastrointestinal surgery (gall stones, surgery for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, and complex hernia surgery) and bariatric surgery.
He is a Regular Member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). He is also a member of the British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS), Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons (AUGIS) of UK and a member of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland (ASGBI).
He has authored many papers both in general surgery and bariatric surgery and has presented in National and International conferences. He has validated the Obesity Surgery Mortality Score (OSMRS) in Canada. He both lectures and organises courses for other surgeons.
His interests lie in furthering research and educational development in the field of bariatric surgery as well as training surgeons in bariatric surgery.
Areas of interest
• Laparoscopic procedures ('keyhole surgery') • Upper gastro-intestinal disease • Hernias, including inguinal hernia • Upper gastro-intestinal surgery • Gallstones • Endoscopy - upper GI • Bariatric surgery (for obesity) • Surgery for reflux • Surgery for achalasia • Excicion of skin lesions and lumps, Heartburn, Vomiting, Abdominal pain, Reflux,
Current NHS consultant posts held
Chelsea and westminster Hospital
Consultant General Surgeon
Metabolic effect of Bariatric Surgery
Use of Predicting Scores for Mortality in Bariatric Surgery
Clinical Excellence Awards Chelsea and Westminster Hospital 2012 and 2013
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Greek, Modern - Fluent
Mr Efthimiou has published extensively in prestigious National and International journals. A list of his publications can be seen at his personal website
www.efthimiou-bariatric.com in the biography section.
Courses offered to GPs
1. Emergencies in Bariatric Surgery Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
Course October 2009, 2010, 2011,2012.
2. Management of Snoring and Royal National Hospital for Ear Nose and
Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Course Throat Hospital, London, November 2009,
Results of my work are published on Chelsea and Westminster Hospital website
- Medical Diploma Medical School of Athens 1990
- MSc in Surgical Science Imperial School Of Medicine 2000
- FRCS Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 1998
- FRCSGlasg (Gen. Surg) Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 2006
- Certificate of Completion of Training PMETB 2007
- Advanved Laparoscopic Surgery Fellowship McGill University 2008
- Advanved Laparoscopic Surgery Fellowship McGill University, Montral, Canada 2008
Reference number 4026475
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of Full registration as a Medical Practitioner, 2008
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons (Glasgow)
Association of Surgeons of GB and Ireland
American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons
Bariatric Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society (UK)
Chelsea Clinical Society
- 164-178 Cromwell RoadLONDONSW5 0TU
- 13:00 - 15:00
- 07826 854515
- Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, SW10 9NH
- 13:30 - 16:00
- 020 3651 7876
Post treatment communication
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
personal mobile 07980 606425
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: evangelos.efthimiou