- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Functional urology/continence
- Urinary tract stones
- Urological oncology
I am a Mersey trained Urologist with a special interest in renal stone disease. I am trained in all aspects of urology including female urinary incontinence, uro-oncology, especially prostrate and renal cancer.
I underwent a sub-speciality fellowship training in endo-urology and stones at Belfast, specialising in modern, minimally invasive and endoscopic treatment of renal stone disease. I can perform many of these procedures as day case operations with excellent success.
I had the opportunity to spend time at the Henry Ford Institute, Detroit, United States and at Elizabethenin H, Linz, Austria, as a fellow, to learn about latest and modern techniques in the management of prostate cancer.
I underwent a fully accredited training in General Surgery, Urology and Renal transplantation in India before coming to the UK in 1998. In the UK I underwent further specialist training and passed the intercollegiate board of examination for specialist urology training in 2007 I was appointed as a consultant at Warrington and Halton Hospitals in June 2008.
Areas of interest
• Kidney stones • Urinary tract problems • Prostate disease including prostate cancer • Urological cancers including kidney, bladder, prostate & testicular cancers • Female urinary incontinence • Sexual dysfunction and infertility • Vasectomy reversal • Minimally invasive renal stone surgery and laparascopic renal surgery
- Halton General Hospital Hospital Way Halton RUNCORN WA7 2DA
- 01928 753080
- 07888 896123
- 01925 662567
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Vijay Gund Fee Assured
- Dr Galal D Salem Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Urologist at Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer at Liverpool University
Clinical Lead for renal stone disease at Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
My research interests include renal stones and its prevention, prostate cancer and urethral stricture disease.
My interests outside medicine are classical music, cricket and my two lovely sons.
Norman Gibbon’s travelling scholarship ; Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, USA; Robotic radical prostatectomy
(July - August 2004)
Best poster award; Traumatic posterior urethral strictures
EAU Annual Congress, Paris, April 2006 - Randomised study
Article in the Urology Times, USA; Role of MRI in colovesical fistula
1. Ravichandran. S, Nambirajan. T, Muthulatha, Athmalingham. G. Management of Traumatic Posterior Urethral strictures: paper in preparation for European Urology
2. Ravichandran. S, Ahmed H U, Matanhelia S. Is There a Role for Magnetic Resonance Imaging in diagnosing Colovesical Fistulae? Urology. 2008 Oct;72(4):832-7. Epub 2008 Aug 21
3. Thwaini A, Ravichandran S, Nambirajan T En bloc stapler ligation of the renal vascular pedicle during laparoscopic nephrectomy; BJU Int. 2008 Aug;102(3):401; 401-2.
4. Ravichandran S, Parr N J. Penile Cancer: Do GUM clinic referrals delay the diagnosis; Urology; 2006 68 (5A) 238
5. Ravichandran S, Reddy G K, O’Sullivan D. Laparoscopic training in Urology: Are we geared up for the future? Results of an UK based questionnaire survey; Urology; 2006 68 (5A) 87-88
6. Ravichandran S, Lucky, Stephenson. Free/total PSA: A useful tool to select patients for biopsy in borderline cases; Urology; 2006 68 (5A) 119
7. Ravichandran S, O’Sullivan. Disposable Elliks: Are they different? Urology; 2006 68 (5A) 286
8. Ravichandran S, Reddy G K, O’Sullivan D. Is the two week cancer rule working? BJU International 2006 97 (3), 66
9. Ravichandran. S, Matanhelia. MRI in Colo-vesical fistula. Journal of Urology; 2006, 175 (4) 503
10. Ravichandran, S, P A Cornford, M V P Fordham. Surveillance of Testicular microlithiasis? Results of an UK based national questionnaire survey. BMC Urology 2006, 6:8 (15Mar2006)
11. Ravichandran S, Dasgupta P, Booth CM. Radical prostatectomy – current practice in Britain and Ireland. BJU International 2000; 85 (5): 63
12. Ravichandran, S., Dasgupta, P. & Booth, C.M. Radical prostatectomy in Britain and Ireland at the millennium. BJU International 2002 90 (4), 420
13. Ravichandran. S, Blades RA, Watson ME. Torsion of the epididymis: a rare case of acute scrotum. Int J Urol. 2003 Oct;10(10):556-7
14. Ravichandran. S, Nambirajan. T, Athmalingham. G. Traumatic posterior urethral stricture – a randomised study of core through urethrotomy and anastomotic urethroplasty. BJU International 2003 91 (S2), 20-21
15. Ravichandran. S, Matanhelia. SS, Dobson. M. Imaging in colo-vesical fistula. BJU International 2003 91 (S2), 16.
16. Ravichandran. S, Nambirajan. T, Athmalingham. G. Management of Traumatic posterior urethral stricture – Results of a randomised study; European Urology; Volume 5, issue 2, pages 47, April 2006
Courses offered to GPs
I regularly teach Medical students and trainees; I actively participate in Journal clubs for higher surgical trainees. I am involved in regional training workshops in minimally invasive surgery for higher surgical trainees.
I routinely give talks to GPs on updates in Urology
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.baus.org.uk
- MBBS MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE 1990
- MS (General Surgery) STANLEY MEDICAL COLLEGE 1993
- MCh (Urology) Kilpauk Medical College 1996
- FRCS (Edin.) Royal college of surgeons of Edinburgh 1990
- FRCS (Glasg.) Royal college of surgeons & physicians of Glasgow 1990
- FRCS (Urol.) Inter-collegiate board; Royal college of Surgeons 2007
- Fellowship subspecialty training in Endo-urology and stones Belfast City Hospital 2008
Reference number 4683623
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Consultant Urological Surgeon Warrington & Halton NHS Trust 2009
- Hon. Clinical Lecturer Liverpool University 2009
Details of entry to specialist register
- Consultant Urologist, 2007
Affiliations / memberships
General Medical Council
British Medical Association
British association of Urological Surgeons
Medical Defence Union
- Spire Cheshire Hospital
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 01925 215029
- Spire Cheshire Hospital
- 16:00 - 20:00
- 01925 215000
- Spire Cheshire Hospital
- 10:00 - 12:00
- 01925 215029
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details