- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Optegra Eye Hospital Manchester .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
I hold a consultant post at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital which is a tertiary University hospital, dealing with a large number and variety of eye diseases giving me vast experience. I have 30 years of experience in ophthalmology. I teach medical students and doctors training to be eye specialists and have published many papers which adds to my knowledge of the subject.
I provide personal, prompt and the right treatment. My practice is spread across Manchester for ease of access and timings are spread around for convenience of patients.
Areas of interest
cataract surgery; squints treatment for children and adults; neuro ophthalmology; unexplained visual problems; unequal pupils; glaucoma, general eye and lid problems
- Swarna Vishwanath
- Private Patient Centre Manchester Royal Eye Hospital Nelson Street Manchester M13 9WH
- 07956 960757
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Milda E Simpson Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital
1) Hypotension-induced blindness in haemodialysis patients
Shveta Bansal, Alec Ansons, Mandagere Vishwanath
Clin Kidney J. 2014 August; 7(4): 387–390
2)Isolated Pupil-Involving Third Nerve Palsy as the First Presentation of Sarcoidosis
Shveta Bansal, Kun Yin, Mandagere Vishwanath, Helen Doran, Roger Laitt, Alec Ansons
Neuro-Ophthalmology 09/2014; 38(5)
3) A Dharmasena, D Park and M Vishwanath. Does high intraocular pressure exclude an open globe injury. Int J Ophthalmol 2014; Vol 7, No 2: 389-390
4)Timothy A de Klerk, Dong Y Park, Mandagere Vishwanath. Driving after pupil dilation and insurance claims
The British journal of ophthalmology 05/2013; 97(8). DOI:10.1136/bjophthalmol-2013-303531
5)Manon Wyn Williams and MR Vishwanath. Intracranial hypertension: was it really idiopathic
BMJ Case Reports .published online 20 April 2011,doi:10.1136/bcr.08.2010.3274
6) M R Vishwanath, A Ansons. Mid-operative force duction test as a guide to titrate the surgery for consecutive exotropia. Strabismus 2009;17:41-44.
7)M R Vishwanath, A Maino, I B Marsh. Superior rectus recessions for downbeat nystagmus. Proceedings of the 32nd meeting of the European Strabismologists Association 2008.
Courses offered to GPs
Swollen optic disc management
Temporal arteritis- not to be missed
Impact of squint on patients
I have 0% readmission rate, 0% post operative infection rate, 0% mortality.
The following are some patient testimonials-
“My quality of life was seriously affected by the squint. I used to fall many times holding onto something I thought was there. Having the operation was like a miracle. I was very happy with the outcome. I feel like a different person. I would recommend Mr Vishwanath 100% to anyone. He has changed my life.” – Anon.
“I am so grateful for the good news you passed to us. Please accept… [our] deep appreciations for the care you provided… The support of Swarna will never be forgotten and the next time we are in Manchester, we must come to express our gratitude. Thanks again.” Mashhoor.A, OMAN
“ I had constant double vision and my eye was inverted… I can comprehend the benefits those eye surgeries brought to my life. It’s because of you I have been given a provisional license so I can attempt to acquire a full driving license.” – K. Simpson
“I was told at my local hospital that the operation could not be performed without causing double vision due to my complicated sight in the eye, however Mr Vishwanath felt that he could operate successfully and this has proven to be a correct clinical judgement”.
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1993
- DOMS Bangalore University 1989
- MBBS Mysore University 1987
- Residency in ophthalmology Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Bangalore 1989
- Higher specialist training in ophthalmology Nortwest Deanery 2006
- Fellowship in paediatric ophthalmology Great Ormond Street Hospital 2003
- Advanced subspecialist training in squint and neuro-ophthalmology Manchester Royal Eye Hospital and Aintree University Hospital 2007
Reference number 4151546
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical council, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
International Strabismus Association
- BMI Alexandra Hospital
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 07956 960757
- One Didsbury Point2 The...
- 09:00 - 18:00
- 0161 240 0700
- private patient centre, manchester Royal Eye...
- 14:30 - 17:30
- 07956 960757
- Spire Manchester Hospital
- 18:30 - 19:30
- 0161 232 2261
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details