- Fee assured
- Verified account
Professor Faizel Osman is Consultant Cardiologist / Electrophysiologist at University Hospital Coventry (UHC) and BMI Meriden Coventry. He is Honorary Professor of Cardiology with University of Warwick (Warwick Medical School).
He is head of Cardiac Arrhythmia Management at UHC and was appointed to lead this new service for patients in Coventry and Warwickshire. Faizel qualified from University of Wales College of Medicine in 1995 with commendation.
His early training was at University Hospital Birmingham and he was awarded a British Heart Foundation Research Fellowship in Cardiology in 1999 with several high profile publications resulting from the research. He subsequently trained as Specialist Registrar in Cardiology within the West Midlands region and sub-specialist training in Arrhythmia Management (Cardiac Electrophysiology and Complex Device Therapy) at University Hospital Birmingham, University Hospital of North Staffordshire and University Hospital Leicester (Glenfield).
He was appointed to start and lead a new arrhythmia service for Coventry and Warwichshire in April 2008. He has extensive experience in cardiac device implants and cardiac electrophysiology and ablation. He holds specialist accreditations from several organisations including Heart Rhythm UK, International Board of Heart Rhythm Examiners (US) and the European Heart Rhythm Association. He regularly speaks at courses for cardiologists in training.
He has several areas of research interest including AF, Complex devices in Heart Failure, use of Biomarkers in Arrhythmias and Heart Failure. He is also responsible for leading the development of new and innovative treatments, such as hybrid AF ablation for long standing persistent AF and Leadless Pacing using a trans-femoral approach.
Areas of interest
Arrhythmias; Palpitation; Ventricular ectopics; Atrial ectopics; Chest pain; Breathlessness; Heart Failure; Syncope; Blackouts; Atrial fibrillation; Atrial Flutter; SVT; VT; Wolf-Parkinson-White Syndrome; Cardiac electrophysiology studies; AF ablation (PVI); SVT ablation; Flutter ablation; Simple and complex cardiac ablation; Implantable cardioverter defibrillators; Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy (Biventricular Pacing); Pacemaker implants; Injectable Loop Recorder Implants; External Cardioversion; Internal Cardioversion
- Sandra Cadden
- University Hospital Clifford Bridge Road Coventry CV2 2DX
- 07485 028031
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Honorary Professor of Cardiology
University Hospital Coventry
Warwick Medical School
Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy
Sudden cardiac death
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
MD (University of Birmingham)
MB BCh (University of Wales, College of Medicine)
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Urdu - Fluent
- Gujarati - Conversational
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Basic
1. MUSTIC investigators. Effects of Multisite Biventricular Pacing in patients with Heart Failure and Intraventricular Conduction Delay. New England Journal of Medicine 2001; 344: 873-80 (member of study group).
2. Osman F, Gammage MD, Franklyn JA. Thyroid disease and its treatment: short- and long-term cardiovascular consequences. Current Opinion in Pharmacology 2001; 1: 626-631.
3. Osman F, Franklyn JA, Gammage MD. Cardiac dysrhythmias and thyroid dysfunction - the hidden menace? Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2002; 87: 963-967.
4. Osman F, Franklyn JA, Sheppard MC, Gammage MD. Successful treatment of Amiodarone-Induced Thyrotoxicosis. Circulation 2002; 105: 1275-1277.
5. Osman F, Gammage MD, Franklyn JA. Hyperthyroidism and cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Thyroid 2002; 12: 483-487.
6. MUSTIC investigators. Comparative effects of permanent biventricular and right-univentricular pacing in heart failure patients with chronic atrial fibrillation. European Heart Journal 2002; 23: 1780-1787 (member of study group).
7. Osman F, Franklyn JA, Daykin J, Chowdhary S, Holder R, Sheppard MC, Gammage MD. Heart rate variability and turbulence in hyperthyroidism before, during, and after treatment. American Journal of Cardiology 2004; 94: 465-469.
8. Osman F, Franklyn JA, Holder R, Sheppard MC, Gammage MD. Cardiovascular manifestations of hyperthyroidism before and after antithyroid therapy; a matched case control study. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2007; 49: 71-81.
9. Osman F, Kundu S, Tuan J, Pathmanathan RK. Use of coronary venous angioplasty to facilitate optimal placement of left ventricular lead during CRT. PACE 2009; 32: 281-2
10. Osman F, Jeilan M, Ng GA. Use of triple-site ventricular pacing in a patient with severe congestive heart failure and atrial fibrillation. Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology 2009; 32: 673-4
11. Osman F, Stafford PJ, Ng GA. Looks like VT but isn't - Successful ablation of a left free wall accessory pathway with Mahaim-like properties. Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J. 2009; 9: 112-118.
12. Osman F, Kundu S, Tuan J, Jeilan M, Stafford PJ, Andre Ng G. Ganlionic plexus ablation during pulmonary vein isolation--predisposing to ventricular arrhythmias? Indian Pacing and Electrophysiology Journal 2010; 10: 104-7
13. Osman F, Krishnamoorthy S, Nadir A, Mullin P, Morley-Davies A, Creamer J. Safety and cost effectiveness of same day pacing. American Journal of Cardiology 2010; 106: 383-5
Courses offered to GPs
Talks on arrhythmias given to local GP practices
Consultant Cardiologist Representative for Arrhythmia Alliance in Coventry and Warwickshire
I have excellent outcomes from EP related procedures as well as Device related procedures as highlighted by our local UHCW annual audits and national NICOR data submissions
- MB BCh University of Wales College of Medicine 1995
- MD University of Birmingham 2004
- Subspecialist training in Electrophysiology/Complex Devices West Midlands Deanary 2007
Reference number 4189552
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow of Royal College of Physicians Royal College of Physicians of London 2011
- Fellow of European Society of Cardiology European Soceity of Cardiology 2011
- Honorary Professor of Cardiology Warwick Medical School 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Faizel Osman, 2007
Affiliations / memberships
British Heart Rhythm Society
Royal College of Physicians
European Society of Cardiology
British Medical Association
- BMI The Meriden Hospital, CV2 2LQ
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 024 7664 7000
- The Chase Old Milverton Lane LEAMINGTON SPA...
- 17:30 - 19:30
- 01926 671480
Post treatment communication
02476 965668 (secretary)
02476 647 000 (BMI Meriden)