- Fee assured
- Verified account
Mr Nezar Tumia did his specialist Orthopaedic training in Aberdeen after finishing the degree of MD (Doctorate of Medicine) on a research project on knee cartilage engineering. In 2007 he travelled to Toronto to undertake a fellowship in a prestigious hip and knee orthopaedic centre. He has carried out a large number of complex and standard partial and total knee repalcements and has also performed many complex hip replacements including revision repalcment surgery. His surgery has achieved high patient satisfaction and he has a complication rate that is well below the national average. He has published and presented his research work both nationally and internationally and his reasearch has won the best paper award in Germany in 2009.
Areas of interest
My practice includes;
- Therapeutic hip arthroscopy (keyhole surgery) for sport related and other hip pathologies.
- Primary (cemented and uncemented) and complex revision (redo) and reconstruction hip replacement surgery.
- Total and partial knee replacement and revision (redo) knee replacement
- Periprosthetic fracture surgery (fractures around joint implants)
- Trauma surgery
- Rachel Wickens
- Nuffield Health Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospital Clayton Road Newcastle Upon Tyne NE2 1JP
- 0191 212 5232
- 07846 158022
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Naveen Venugopal Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
1- The North East Surgery Centre
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
2- Nuffield Health Newcastle
• Modern ceramic on ceramic hip replacement.
• Hip resurfacing for young people with osteoarthritis.
• The use of computer navigation in hip resurfacing.
• Surface bearing in total hip replacement. The
• Knee meniscal cartilage regeneration. Enhancing cartilage repair in order to prevent knee joint osteoarthritis.
• Contamination in the operative theatre and its potential source.
- Best Paper Award in Germany 2009
- Pfizer Travel Award 2004
- Grant of 56K towards research funding
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Native or bilingual
1. A Comparison of Conventional Guidewire Alignment Jigs with Imageless Computer Navigation in Hip Resurfacing Arthroplasty. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Am), 2010 Aug 4;92(9):1834-41.
2. Assessment of Accuracy and Reliability in Pre-operative Templating for Hip Resurfacing Arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2010 April; 25, 445-49.
3. Imageless Computer Navigation without Pre-operative Templating may lead to Femoral Head Malpreparation in Hip Resurfacing. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br), Oct. 2009; Vol 91, No. 10.
4. Platelet derived growth factor-AB enhances knee meniscal cell activity in vitro. The Knee. 2009 Jan;16(1):73-6.
5. Anterior knee pain. Trauma. 2005; 7: 11-18.
6. Regional regenerative potential of meniscal cartilage exposed to recombinant Insulin Like Growth Factor I in vitro. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [Br]. 2004; 86-B:1077-81.
1. A review of revision hip arthroplasty for ceramic. SICOT Annual Meeting. Dubai, 28-30 November 2012.
2. A prospective study on factors affecting length of stay following hip and knee arthroplasty. SICOT Annual Meeting. Dubai, 28-30 November 2012.
3. Ceramic on ceramic hip arthroplasty. One to ten year results from a single centre. The British Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting. Manchester, September 2012.
4. Post operative pain relief following total knee replacement. The 13th European federation of the National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology Annual Meeting (EFORT), Berlin 23-25 may 2012.
5. Ceramic on ceramic hip arthroplasty. Mid term results from a single centre The RCSEd Lister Centenary Meeting, Edinburgh 2012.
6. Clinical and academic advantages of a local trauma management software. The RCSEd Lister Centenary Meeting, Edinburgh 2012.
7. Squeaking following ceramic on ceramic hip arthroplasty. Should we be concerned? The RCSEd Lister Centenary Meeting, Edinburgh 2012.
8. The Emergency Management of Hip Fracture Patients. The RCSEd Lister Centenary Meeting, Edinburgh 2012.
9. Should we be concerned about squeaking following ceramic on ceramic hip arthroplasty? The Annual British Hip Society Meeting. Manchester, 2012.
10. Medium term results of ceramic-on-ceramic total hip arthroplasty. The Annual British Hip Society Meeting. Manchester, 2012.
Reference number 4680084
- Nuffield Health Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital,...
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 0191 212 5232
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Nuffield Health Newcastle