- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Siou is originally from the North East and was appointed Consultant surgeon within the Ear, Nose and Throat Department in 2008. Prior to this he completed his specialist training within the Tyne and Wear area. During this time Mr Siou also undertook a 2 year period of full-time research at the Newcastle University Medical School therby attaining a doctor of medicine degree. He sees and treats children and adults for all general ear, nose and throat conditions at the Freeman Hospital, but also jointly provides a specialist paediatric airway service with other Consultant colleagues based at the Great North Children's Hospital in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He also provides a weekly ENT service within the Gateshead community of Whickham, based at Whickham Cottage Medical Centre and at Cheste-le-Street at Cestria Health Centre.
Mr Siou has a keen interest in training. He is a member of the Northern Deanery Specialist Training Committee for ENT and is involved in annual trainee appraisals. He is clinical lead for the ENT core surgical training program within the Newcastle Surgical Training Centre based at the Freeman Hospital, and joint course director for both the Temporal Bone Course and the Intercollegiate ENT Revision Course.
Areas of interest
Mastoid disease; Paediatric ENT including neck lumps and airways; Salivary gland disease; Middle ear disease / surgery; Sinus procedures incl. endoscopic sinus surgery
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant ENT and Head & Neck surgeon
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Training Programme Director for Northern Region
Smith-Kline & French Anatomy Prize winner 1990
Distinction in Neurobiology & Neuroanatomy 1991
Medical Research Council Research Scholarship 1991
Wellcome Trust Research Training Fellowship 2002
University of Newcastle Postgraduate Research Poster Prize 2003
General ENT Free Paper Prize (Joint ENTUK/RSM meeting, Liverpool) 2004
Munro Black ENT Prize (Darlington Memorial Hospital) 2004
(Additional) Languages spoken
- French - Conversational
1. Group A Streptococcus / human epithelial cell interaction: an in vitro model if tonsil epithelial infection? Clin Oto 2004.
2. Antimicrobial peptide expression in human tonsils. Clin Oto 2004.
3. Expression and immunolocalisation of antimicrobial peptides within human palatine tonsils. J Laryngol Otol 2007.
4. Pili mediate specific adhesion of streptococcus pyogenes to human tonsil and skin . Cell Microb 2007
5. Review of decannulation experience and duration of tracheostomy within the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust . European Respiratory Society Submission 2010
6. Contributor to the Illustrated Textbook of Paediatrics. Chapter 16. 2nd Edition 2011
7. Chapter author in Principles and Practice of Lasers in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Chap 17: Paediatric laryngo-tracheal airway, 2012
- BSC(Hons) London University 1993
- MBBS London University 1995
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 1998
- MD Newcastle University Medical School 2005
- FRCS(ORL-HNS) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2006
- Wellcome Research Training Fellowship Newcastle Medical School 2006
Reference number 4201207
Details of entry to specialist register
- Otorhinolaryngology, 2008
Affiliations / memberships
British Association of Paediatric Otorhinolaryngologists
British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists
British Rhinological Society
North of England Otoaryngology Society
- Nuffield Health Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital,...
- 14:00 - 15:00
- 0191 281 6131
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Secretary to Mr Siou