- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Stroke medicine
Dr Joseph Kwan has more than 20 years of specialist experience in stroke medicine, geriatric medicine and internal medicine.
He qualified from Bristol University (Medicine 1994), Southampton University (MPhil 2000) and Edinburgh University (MD 2002). He also trained at University College London's Institute of Neurology, Queens Square (postgraduate certificate in clinical neurology with distinction 2006), Cornell University (plant-based nutrition 2015) and University of California San Francisco (dementia scholarship 2015).
Dr Kwan has been a stroke specialist since 2006. From 2008 to 2010, he was the clinical lead for the regional stroke network; and from 2013 to 2018, he took up an academic position as a clinical associate professor (reader) at Hong Kong University.
He returned to Imperial College London in 2018 as a senior stroke consultant, honorary senior lecturer, and head of original stroke research. He has published over 115 peer-reviewed scientific articles and written book chapters in his specialist fields, and became the first-ever Fellow of the American Heart Association in the UK in 2021.
Dr Kwan welcomes referrals for all problems related to stroke and ageing. He is a strong advocate of the holistic self-care approach to recovery, combining optimal nutrition and physical conditioning to promote well-being of the body and mind.
Outside of work, he is a father of four and has a passion for sports and fitness training.
Areas of interest
Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA)/Mini-Stroke
Current NHS consultant posts held
Stroke Consultant, Charing Cross Hospital
Stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA), geriatric medicine
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Cantonese - Native or bilingual
- MB ChB University of Bristol 1994
- MPhil University of Southampton 2000
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Neurology with Distinction University College London 2006
- MD University of Edinburgh 2002
- FRCP Edin RCP Edinburgh 2009
- FRCP London RCP London 2010
- Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition Cornell University 2015
- FHKCP Hong Kong College of Physicians 2016
- FHKAM (Medicine) Hong Kong Academy of Medicine 2016
- FRSPH Royal Society of Public Health 2017
- FAHA American Heart / Stroke Association 2021
- FAHA American Heart Association 2021
- FESO European Stroke Organisation 2018
Reference number 4083890
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Honorary Clinical Associate Professor The University of Hong Kong 2014
- Visiting Professor Bournemouth 2008
- Honorary Senior Lecturer Imperial College London 2019
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
American Heart Association (AHA), American Stroke Association (ASA), British & Irish Association of Stroke Physicians (BIASP), British Geriatrics Society (BGS), European Stroke Organization (ESO), Royal College of Physicians (RCP), Royal Society of Public Health (RSPH), World Stroke Organization (WSO)