- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Upper GI surgery
Mr Pratik Sufi is an experienced specialist general surgeon. He specialises in the surgical treatment of excess weight (obesity), diabetes, heartburn / dyspepsia (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease / hiatus hernia /gallstones), difficulty in swallowing (oesophageal dysmotility and strictures). He is an expert laparoscopic surgeon and has a long experience in treating gallstones, hernia and other abdominal conditions like acute appendicitis, perforated peptic ulcers, intra-abdominal adhesions etc using laparoscopic techniques. He is also an expert endoscopist.
Mr Sufi has a keen interest in minimally invasive surgery. He has travelled extensively to centres of excellence in Hamburg, Prague, Strasbourg, Oslo, Madeira, Oporto, Paris and Lyon to acquire advanced Laparoscopic, Endoscopic, Upper Gastro-Intestinal and Bariatric Surgical skills. He has advanced skills in insertion of gastric balloons and laparoscopic gastric bands, laparoscopic procedures like sleeve gastrectomy, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, Nissen’s fundoplication, cholecystectomy, splenectomy and hernia repairs
Areas of interest
Upper gastro-intestinal disease; Laparoscopic helium plasma coagulation; Bariatric surgery (for obesity);Gastrointestinal surgery; Hernia repair surgery; Laparoscopic surgery; Weight loss surgery; Obesity Surgery; Gastic Balloon (Orbera / Elipse); Gastric Bypass; Gastric Banding;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Bariatric and Upper Gastrointestinal
Investigation of vitamin deficiency and their association to hyperhomocysteinaemia following surgical weight loss.
Assess aerobic fitness and cardiac function with data from CPEX (VO2 max) and Echo from notes.
Effect of surgical weight loss on obesity associated co-morbities, especially type 2 diabetes
Mr Sufi is involved with various charities in the UK and abroad
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Bengali - Native or bilingual
- Urdu - Fluent
- Arabic - Basic
1. Primary Banded Sleeve Gastrectomy - a Systematic Review 2019.
2. Weight Loss Outcomes of Patients with Unplanned Pregnancy within a Year of Bariatric Surgery.
3. Need for Standardization of Perioperative Practices in MGB/OAGB.
4. The development and validation of a scoring tool to predict the operative duration of elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
5. Cost-effectiveness of emergency versus delayed laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute gallbladder pathology.
6. Reply to "Bleeding in Sleeve Gastrectomy-A Simple and Cost-Effective Solution".
7. Vanguard Advanced Goal- Oriented Surgery (VAGOS): In Hospital, Optimum Patient Experience.
8. Effectiveness of Antibiotic Prophylaxis in Non-Emergency Cholecystectomy Using Data from a Population-Based Cohort Study.
9. Population based cohort study of variation in the use of emergency cholecystectomy for benign gallbladder diseases.
10. Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass versus One Anastomosis (Mini) Gastric Bypass. A prospective Randomised Controlled Trial. Dragons Den meets Shark tank.
11. Preoperative risk factors for conversion from laparoscopic to open cholecystectomy: a validated risk score derived from a prospective U.K. database of 8820 patients.
12. Enoxaparin venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in bariatric surgery: a best evidence topic
13. Chronic Elevation of Systemic Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Following Surgical Weight Loss: Association with Nausea and Vomiting and Effects on Adipokines.
14. Factors predicting the occurrence of a gastrojejunal anastomosis leak following gastric bypass.
15. Surgical Management of Ogilvie’s Syndrome Post Caesarean Section.
16. BOMSS Standards for Clinical Services and Commissioning Guidelines. 2012.
17. Cardiopulmonary exercise testing predicts postoperative outcome in patients undergoing gastric bypass surgery.
18. Serum insulin and blood pressure in obese may be linked to subcutaneous and omental fat asymmetric dimethyl arginine content.
19. Laparoscopic insertion of a gastric band for weight gain following laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: Description of the Technique.
20. Emergency and elective laparoscopic repair of Spigelian hernias: two case reports and a review of the literature.
21. A symptomatic second gallbladder 7 years post initial cholecystectomy.
22. A Rare Case of Abdominal Aneurysm Presenting as Right Testicular Pain.
Courses offered to GPs
via Spire Bushey GP Liaison
View videos on youtube
- Dr Sufi on BBC Breakfast
- Spire Bushey Hospital Bariatrics
- 1. Live Well for Longer – Episode 4: Diet & Gut Bacteria. Channel 4, UK. August 2018. Is the Balloon Pill really the answer to the obesity crisis?
- Emma lost 20st by dieting. So should the NHS pay to remove the unsightly saggy skin left behind? Daily Mail
- The starvation diet that can REVERSE type two diabetes: How dramatic weight-loss could lower blood-sugar levels. Daily Mail
- The highs and lows after my gastric surgery. Belfast Telegraph
- ‘Mum’s gastric band saved my life’. Friday Magazine
- Gastric surgery: Is it really the answer to the UK's obesity epidemic? Independent
- Is BMI just a big fat lie - The obesity measure under the microscope. Metro
- The triple-zero diet is dangerous. MSN
- Fat Tax, Fat Chance, All Things Fall on Lean Times! Huffington Post
- 'An operation on Twitter': The Independent Practioner Today reports on live tweet
- Bushey Hospital live-tweet surgeon, Pratik Sufi, performing gastric bypass. Watford Observer
- To screen or not - has sun avoidance gone too far? Huffington Post
- The North London Obesity Surgery Service Video
- The sugar rush to diabetes. The Telegraph
- Overweight but Undernourished: Refeeding Syndrome after Bariatric Surgery. Bariatric Times
- Obesity is killing Haringey's children Ham&High
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://nbsr.e-dendrite.com/nbsr/d26d8f78f7f38ef8b8337a0ca220c8dd/data
- Lap Chirurgie Strasbourg University 2007
- FRCS (Gen) RCS England 2006
- MS University of London 1996
- FRCS RCS England 1996
- MBBS University of Dhaka 1990
- Advanced Laparoscopic Techniques IRCAD 2007
Reference number 4360548
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Surgery, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons of England – Fellow
BOMSS (British Obesity & Metabolic Surgical Society) – Member
IFSO (International Federation for Surgical Treatment of Obesity) – Member
AUGIS (Association of Upper GI Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland) – Member
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.