- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Consultant Rheumatologist since 2006.
I was trained in the North Western deanery (Manchester). I am experienced in managing a variety of rheumatological conditions (inflammatory and non-inflammatory). I also have experience in managing Osteoporosis (I lead Osteoporosis service for the Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust).
I undertake medico-legal work.
Areas of interest
Inflammatory arthritis(Rheumatoid Arthritis); connective tissue diseases; vasculitis; Polymyalgia, Giant Cell Arteritis, soft tissue rheumatism; osteoporosis; metabolic bone disease; osteoarthritis and spondylosis
Current NHS consultant posts held
Queen's Hospital, Burton upon Trent (main site and Swadlincote Health Centre)
Osteoporosis, Inflammatory Arthritis, musculoskeletal ultrasound
Best regional audit (North West Deanery) 2002
Best research project (Midlands Rhematology Association) 2011
1. Denosumab:Clinical perspective and drug survival in a secondary care set up in UK. Ann Rheum Dis 2017; 76:Suppl 2, 1355 (DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2017-eular.5290)
2. Zoledronic acid infusion and effect on renal function and calcium in osteoporosis. Ann Rheum Dis 2016; 75: Suppl 2, 366 (DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2016-eular.2788)
3. Development of a patient reported self-assessment tool for rheumatology patients. Ann Rheum Dis 2016; 75:Suppl 2, 1306 (DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2016-eular.4670)
4. A new patient reported tool in the assessment of physiotherapy for patients with knee osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2016; 75:Suppl 2, 1279 (DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2016-eular.5926)
5. Comparing digital tomogram and ultrasound in established rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2014;73:Suppl 2 1134-1135 (DOI: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-eular.1314)
6. Participation or engagement? Education and exercise program for inflammatory joint disease. Rheumatology (2014) 53 (suppl 1): i111
7. Use of Wii Fit® in balance training in Osteoporosis. Rheumatology (2013) 52 (suppl 1): i95-i1342. Non-Attendance at rheumatology appointments- fact and fiction. Rheumatology, 47(2): ii, 117, 2008
8. Patient education and anti-TNF related infections. Ann Rheum Dis 2007; 66:Suppl II, 634
9. The Use of Infliximab in Wegener’s Granulomatosis where standard therapies have failed. Oral presentation and abstract 2nd International Cytokine Conference, Manchester (UK), May 2005
10. Osteoporosis Treatment Influences Change in Bone Mineral Density in The Upper More Than The Lower Lumbar Vertebrae: An Observational Study Abstract EULAR annual meeting, Berlin, June 2004
11. Correlation between the bone mineral density measurement at different sites-an observational study. Abstract EULAR annual meeting, Lisbon, June 2003
Courses offered to GPs
I have given talks on various rheumatology topics at local GP training days, sponsored events and also through Nuffield Health, Derby.
I supervise training of rheumatology, GP and foundation medical trainees.
Patient feedback survey was conducted in 2014. This survey looked at my attitude to patients, confidence in my treatment, making patients feel at ease and trustworthiness. 100% response was good and 85% felt my care was very good. 90% patients were very satisfied by the care I provided and 10% felt satisfied.
Some individual Comments: -
1. I have always been extremely happy with treatments and attention to my condition by Dr Laxminaryan. He has a good bedside manner and always treats me as an individual and listens to my needs. I have confidence that he will continue to keep me as fit as is possible with my RA. I feel I am very lucky to have such a caring rheumatologist.
2. All staff and consultant doctor were informative and spent time ensuring that I was happy with treatment plan and I was reassured about what would happen during my time on the ward. Thank you.
3. Always happy before and after my appointment.
4. Very satisfied
5. Dr Laxminarayan is probably the most engaging consultant I have ever met. He makes me feel completely confident that my condition is being handled professionally and that all options are being explored.
6. I could not ask for a more pleasant man; nobody likes coming to hospital but Dr Laxminarayan makes me feel completely at ease. He appears to be a consummate professional, and a thoroughly nice man, too.
- MBBS Karnatak Medical College, Hubli, India 1993
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh 2011
- CCT (Rheumatology) Royal College of Physicians 2006
Reference number 5199257
Details of entry to specialist register
- Rheumatology, 2006
- Burton Clinic, DE13 0RB
- 11:00 - 12:00
- 01283 511511
- Nuffield Health Derby Hospital, DE23 4SN
- 18:00 - 20:30
- 01332 896750
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
01283511511 ext 4068/4101
or 01332 540100