- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 4 May 2020
I am a Consultant Orthopeadic Spinal Surgeon and work at Cambridge University Hospital NHS Trust. I trained in London at The Royal London Hospital, and did my registrar training in Cambridge and East Anglia. I undertook a further specialist Spinal Fellowship working in Brisbane, Australia for a year to complete my training.
I specialise in paediatric and adult scoliosis, spinal deformity, back pain, neck pain, degenerative spinal problems, sciatica, spinal tumours, spinal trauma and fractures.
Areas of interest
Lower back pain; Scoliosis; Neck pain; Spinal surgery; Lumbar spine (diseases and disorders of); Back pain; Paediatrics; Sciatica; Spinal deformity; Lumbar (lower back); Slipped disc; Back; Facet joint pain; Degenerative spinal conditions; Spinal infection; Spinal tumors; Coccyx pain; Spinal trauma; Spinal fractures
- Medical Management Practice
- Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital 30 New Road Impington Cambridge CB24 9EL
- 01223 266926
- 01223 266926
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Spinal Surgeon at
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust,
My research interests include endoscopic minimally invasive scoliosis correction, intra-operative screening in scoliosis surgery, pre-operative MRI assessment of scoliosis patients and pre-operative assessment of patients
I enjoy rugby and coach a local under-9's rugby team.
I also enjoy many other sports including running and I ran the Great North Run half-marathon in 2012 and 2013 raising money for the Spinal Injuries Assocation.
I have 3 children and enjoy going camping and holidays to Cornwall with my family.
I was nominated for 'You made a difference award' at Cambridge University Hospital in 2012 and 2014
Z Alshameeri, N Din, S Charlton, D Conlan, JR Crawford
The impact of a one-stop pre-assessment clinic in scoliosis surgery..
European Spine Journal 2014; 23;(suppl1),S121
N Mc Arthur, R Clark, E Peck, D Conlan, JR Crawford
Radiation exposure in scoliosis surgery – Is it a concern?
European Spine Journal 2012; 21 (suppl 2):S245
McNamara IR, Crawford JR, Edwards DJ
A survey of post-intake orthopaedic trauma meetings in England
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2007;89:70-72
Crawford JR, Izatt MT, Adam CJ, Labrom RD, Askin GN.
A prospective assessment of SRS-24 scores after endoscopic anterior instrumentation for scoliosis.
Crawford JR, Khan RJ, Varley GW
Early management and outcome following soft tissue injuries of the neck
– a Randomised Controlled Trial
Injury, Int J Care Injured 2004;35:891-895
Courses offered to GPs
During the last 12 months I have given lectures and seminars to General Practitioners on scoliosis in adults and children, back pain in children and examination of the spine
- MB BS, Medicine degree The London Hospital 1994
- BSc Biochemistry Queen Mary and Westfield College 1991
- FRCS Fellowship Royal College Surgeons The Royal College of Surgeons of England 1998
- FRCS(Orth) Specialty Examination Royal College Surgeons The Royal College of Surgeons of England 2003
- Fellowship in spinal surgery (one year) The spinal unit, Brisbane, Australia 2005
Reference number 4111940
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member of British Association Spine Surgeons British Association Spine Surgeons 2014
- Member of British Scoliosis Society British Scoliosis Society 2014
- Member of UK Spine Societies Board (UKSSB) United Kingdom Spine Societies Board (UKSSB) 2014
- Member of British Orthopaedic Association British Orthopaedic Association 2014
- Member of the Cambridge Orthopaedic Club Cambridge Orthopaedic Club 2014
- Clinical Lead for Spinal Surgery Cambridge University Hospital NHS Trust 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of Completion Specialist Training in Orthopeadics (CCST), 2005
Affiliations / memberships
British Association Spine Surgeons
British Scoliosis Society
UK Spine Societies Board
British Orthopaedic Association
Fellow Royal College Surgeons
British Orthopaedic Association
Seddon Society, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
- Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital, CB2 8AF
- 17:00 - 19:30
- 01223 370922
- Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital 30 New Road...
- 08:00 - 12:30
- 01223 266990
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
I can be contacted via my secretary 01223 266926 or via the Cambridge Spire Lea Hospital ward 01223 266940 or via the Cambridge Nuffield Hospital ward 01223 370920