- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
Dr Fady Joseph is a Consultant Neurologist and Honorary Clinical Tutor at Aneurin Bevan University Health Board (ABUHB), and Honorary Consultant at the University Hospital of Wales. He has private consulting rooms at St Joseph’s Hospital, Newport and Nuffield Health, Cardiff Bay Clinic.
Dr Joseph qualified from University of Wales in 1994 and has a broad background in general medicine, with subsequent experience in child health and general adult psychiatry. He completed his neurology training in South Wales and the South West of England, largely in Frenchay Hospital, Bristol. He was awarded an MD from the University of Bristol for his work on central nervous system inflammatory disorders including multiple sclerosis and various other central nervous system inflammatory diseases that may mimic it. He has numerous original publications in this area and has written several review articles in Neurology Journals. He has presented his research nationally and internationally and has won awards for his work. He leads the multiple sclerosis service for ABUHB and is a regular clinical tutor at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He has wide experience in all aspects of general acute and chronic neurology and has written numerous medical legal reports.
Dr Joseph will accept referrals relating to any aspect of neurology in the private sector.
Areas of interest
Multiple sclerosis; CNS Sarcoidosis; Vasculitis; Neuro-inflammatory disease; Lupus; Behcet's disease; Medico-legal Neurology; General Neurology
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Neurologist and Honorary Clinical Tutor, Royal Gwent Hospital and University Hospital of Wales.
I have a strong medical research background. I was awarded an MD in October 2006 for my Thesis on “Central Nervous System Inflammatory Diseases in South Wales and the Southwest of England”
Our team has received "MS Professional of the Year "award 2012
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Greek, Modern
Invited review articles:
• Scolding NJ and Joseph FG. The neuropathology and pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosis. Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology; (2002), 28, 173-189.
• Joseph FG and Scolding NJ. Cerebral Vasculitis – A practical approach. Practical Neurology, April 2002; vol 2 no 2, page 80-93.
• Joseph FG and Scolding NJ. Central Nervous System Lupus in Advances in Clinical Neurosciences 13 edited by KK Sinha and P Chandra. Ranchi, India: East Zone Neuro CME, 2003. 449-470.
• Joseph FG and Scolding NJ. Sarcoidosis of the Nervous System. Practical Neurology, 2007; vol 7, no 4, page 234-244.
• Joseph FG and Scolding NJ. Neurolupus. Practical Neurology, Feb. 2010; 10: 4-15
• Joseph FG, Amsler P, Wiles CM, Halpin SFS. Intracranial dural fistula as a cause of diffuse MRI enhancement of the cervical spinal cord. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, June 2000; vol 68, 799.
• Joseph FG, Jacob J, Carrington D. SSPE – a forgotten disease? European Journal of Neurology, September 2002; 9(5): 542.
• Scolding NJ, Joseph FG, Kirby PA et al. Aβ-related angiitis: primary angiitis of the central nervous system associated with cerebral amyloid angiopathy. Brain 2005; 128 (Pt 3):500-515.
• Joseph FG, Dawson K, Betmouni S, Moss T, Smith P. The Bath Advanced Neurology Course 2003: progressive neurological decline in pregnancy. Practical Neurology, June 2005; vol 5 no 3, page 168-175.
• Joseph FG, Scolding NJ. Neuro-Behçet’s disease in Caucasians – a study of 22 patients. European Journal of Neurology 2006 (in press).
• Joseph FG, Scolding NJ. Lammie GA. CNS lupus – A study of 41 new cases. Neurology2007; 69: 644-654.
• Joseph FG, Hurst CL, , Pickersgill TP, Y Ben-Shlomo, Robertson NJ, Scolding NJ. CSF oligoclonal band status informs prognosis: a case control study of 100 patients. JNNP March 2009
• Joseph FG, Scolding NJ. Neurosarcoidosis: a study of 30 new cases (original paper). JNNP March 2009
• Joseph FG and Scolding NJ. Neuropsychiatric lupus. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 2003; 74:397-410.
• Joseph FG and Scolding NJ. Oligoclonal band negative multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2004; 75:517 (Abstract).
• Joseph FG, Scolding NJ. Neuro-Behçet’s disease in white Caucasians – a study of 22 patients. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2004; (Abstract).
Courses offered to GPs
Talks to GPs on:
1) Multiple Sclersis and other CNS inflammation
3) Other aspects of general neurology
- MB BCh University of Wales 1994
- MD Univesrity of Bristol 2006
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 1999
Reference number 4101235
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the Royal College of Physicians
Southwest and South Wales Neurology Association
Medical Protection Society
- Cardiff Bay Clinic, CF11 0SN
- 17:30 - 21:00
- 029 2083 6700
- St Joseph's Private Hospital, NP20 6ZE
- 14:00 - 19:00
- 01633 234441
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.