- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Hand & Wrist
- Shoulder & Elbow
I have been on the Specialist Register since 2007. I practice the latest evidence based treatments. Conditions treated include shoulder arthroscopy, nerve entrapment, ganglia, Dupuytren's, thumb base arthritis, scaphoid non-union. I am interested in the treatment of sports injuries and have treated professionals from the Premier League, Rugby Premiership, GB Rowing and professional motorcyclists, including Olympic Finalists from Rio 2016 and World Gold and Silver medallists..
Areas of interest
Hand and wrist surgery; Shoulder surgery; Upper limb surgery
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Biomechanics of the upper limb.
7 year results lateral elbow resurfacing.
Chronic exertional compartment syndrome.
Diagnostic accuracy MRI vs wrist arthroscopy.
YOUNG INVESTIGATOR AWARD - British Orthopaedic Research Society Meeting, Spring 2001
DISTINCTION - MSc Thesis, Cardiff University, 2004
1. Stanley jig for large ulnar shortenings. JWK Harrison, JK Stanley, MJ Hayton. J Hand Surg - Br, April 2008; 197-200 (PMID: 18443063)
2. Traumatic extensor hood rupture. Loosemore MJ, Ansdell ML, Charalambous CP, Harrison JW, Hayton MJ. Hand (NY). Dec 2008 (PMID: 19096895)
3. Outcome of revision total elbow replacement using the Acclaim prosthesis. Hearnden AJ, Desai AS, Harrison WJ, Dramis A, Hayton MJ, Trail IA, Stanley JK. Shoulder & Elbow 2009; 1: 99–103
4. Rupture of flexor pollicis longus tendon - a complication of volar locking plating of the distal radius. Rajeev AS, Shanakar S, Harrison JWK. European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery – 2010; 36; 385-7
5. Results of locked flexible intramedullary nailing of metacarpal fractures- A case series. Venkatachalam S, Harrison JWK. European Journal of Trauma – 2011
6. A biomechanical study on variation of compressive force along the Acutrak 2 screw. Injury. Sugathan, H, Kilpatrick M, Joyce T, Harrison JWK. Injury 2011(PMID: 21839443)
7. Glomus Tumour. Radha S, Newby M, Harrison JWK. BMJ 2011; 343: d6473
8. Siddiqui B, Radha S, Senevirathna S, Harrison JWK. Candida Albicans Infection of a Reverse Polarity Shoulder Replacement in a Patient with Rheumatoid Arthritis Treated with Etanercept. J Clinical Rheumatology 2012: 18(6): 324 (PMID: 22955488)
10. Sugathan H, Harrison JWK. Chronic bilateral anterior shoulder dislocation- case report and review of literature. European Orthopaedics and Traumatology 2012: 3(4): 227-29 (DOI 10.1007/s12570-012-0132-8)
11. Chronic exertional compartment syndrome of the forearm in elite rowers: a technique for mini-open fasciotomy and a report of six cases. Hand (NY) 2013; 8 (4):450-453
12. 30. Andronic, Weusten, Harrison. Anatomic healing of a humeral shaft fracture despite failure of plate fixation - locking plates are a good idea. European Orthopaedics and Traumatology. 2015
Courses offered to GPs
Money saving tips in management of upper limb conditions.
Sports injury in the upper limb.
- FRCS(Orth) Royal College Surgeons(Edinburgh) 2006
- MSc(Orth Eng) Cardiff University 2004
- MFSEM(UK) RCS(Ed) 2007
- BMedSci(Hons) Newcastle University 1995
Reference number 4300663
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2007
Affiliations / memberships
- Nuffield Health Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital
- 09:30 - 17:00
- 0191 281 6131
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
0191 281 6131