- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Hand & Wrist
I have been on the Specialist Register since 2007. I practice the latest evidence based treatments. Conditions treated include peripheral nerve entrapment, trigger finger, ganglia, Dupuytren's contracture, thumb base arthritis, scaphoid non-union. I am interested in the treatment of sports injuries and have treated professionals from football, rugby union, TeamGB Rowing including Olympic Finalists from Rio 2016 and World Gold and Silver medallists, and professional motorcyclists.
Areas of interest
Hand and wrist surgery; Upper limb surgery
Anaesthetists worked with
Mr John Harrison has worked with Dr Neil Cardno at the following hospitals:
- Nuffield Health Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital (1-5)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Biomechanics of the upper limb.
7 year results lateral elbow resurfacing.
Chronic exertional compartment syndrome.
Diagnostic accuracy MRI vs wrist arthroscopy.
YOUNG INVESTIGATOR AWARD - British Orthopaedic Research Society Meeting, Spring 2001
DISTINCTION - MSc Thesis, Cardiff University, 2004
1. Stanley jig for large ulnar shortenings. JWK Harrison, JK Stanley, MJ Hayton. J Hand Surg - Br, April 2008; 197-200 (PMID: 18443063)
2. Traumatic extensor hood rupture. Loosemore MJ, Ansdell ML, Charalambous CP, Harrison JW, Hayton MJ. Hand (NY). Dec 2008 (PMID: 19096895)
3. A biomechanical study on variation of compressive force along the Acutrak 2 screw. Injury. Sugathan, H, Kilpatrick M, Joyce T, Harrison JWK. Injury 2011(PMID: 21839443)
4. Chronic exertional compartment syndrome of the forearm in elite rowers: a technique for mini-open fasciotomy and a report of six cases. Hand (NY) 2013; 8 (4):450-453
5. Diagnostic Accuracy of Single-compartment Magnetic Resonance Arthrography of the Wrist in Detecting Common Causes of Chronic Wrist Pain. Asaad AM, Andronic, A, Newby MP, Harrison JWK. Journal of Hand Surgery (European Volume) · 2017; 42(6):580-585 DOI: 10.1177/1753193417695180
7. Long-term results Lateral Resurfacing Elbow replacement. CE Watkins, DW Elson, JWK Harrison, J Pooley. Bone and Joint Journal 2018: 100-B: 338-343
8. Fasciectomy under Local Anaesthetic and Adrenaline for Dupuytren’s Contracture in a Community Setting in the UK and Cost Analysis. Nourreddine H, Harrison JWK. Bone and Joint Journal 2020: 102-B:
Courses offered to GPs
Money saving tips in management of upper limb conditions.
Sports injury in the upper limb.
- MFSEM(UK) RCS(Ed) 2007
- BMedSci(Hons) Newcastle University 1995
- MSc(Orth Eng) Cardiff University 2004
- FRCS(Orth) Royal College Surgeons(Edinburgh) 2006
Reference number 4300663
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2007
Affiliations / memberships
- Nuffield Health Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital
- 09:00 - 12:00
- 0191 281 6131
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
0191 281 6131