- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Applied Relaxation
- CBT with Exposure and Response Prevention (CBT with ERP)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Mindfulness based CBT
- Trauma focused CBT
I am a Clinical Psychologist, working both in the NHS, as a consultant clinical psychologist, and in private practice, with a clinic based in Ulverston, South Cumbria. I use an integrative approach to therapy based on cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) and Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR), all treatment recommended in NICE guidelines
I have a PhD in Psychology and an MSc in Clinical. Psychology, together with a BA in Psychology and a BA in Mathematics. I am a Fellow of the British Psychological Society (BPS) and am registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC). I follow BPS ethical guidelines and receive supervision for all clinical work.
Areas of interest
• Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) • Eye movement desensitisation & reprocessing (EMDR) • Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) • Anxiety disorders • Bereavement • Depression • Adolescent mental health • Eating disorders • Individual therapy • Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) • Major trauma
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Neurological disorders
- Pain management
- Physical disability
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Clinical Psychologist, South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Calderdale Royal Hospital, Halifax, West Yorkshire.
Visiting Professor, University of Huddersfield
Evaluating effectiveness of psychological therapies in complex healthcare settings - practice-based evidence. Constructing statistical models to evaluate the impact of early change in therapy.
Main clinical interest is in post-traumatic stress, whether it occurs as a result of recent traumas (eg, road traffic accidents, assaults), experience in war zones (eg, working with veterans), or from early abusive experiences. I also help clients with other problems, such as depression and anxiety.
Fellowship of the British Psychological Society (FBPsS) awarded in recognition of significant contribution to the advancement or communication of psychological knowledge or practice
Working knowledge of French, German and a little knowledge of Spanish
65 articles published in peer-reviewed journals and chapters in books. Recent examples include:
Delgadillo, J., McMillan, D., Lucock, M., Leach, C., Ali, S. & Gilbody, S. (2013). Early changes, attrition, and dose-response in low intensity psychological interventions. British. Journal of Clinical Psychology.
Leach, C. & Lutz, W. (2010). Constructing and disseminating outcome data: Case tracking and benchmarking. In Barkham, Hardy & Mellor-Clark (eds), Developing and Delivering Pratice-Based Evidence: A Guide for the Psychological Therapies. Chichester:Wiley.
Courses offered to GPs
Available to talk to local GPs in Cumbria.
Outcomes assessed using standard outcome measures such as CORE-OM and DASS completed throughout therapy.
- MSc Clinical Psychology Leeds University 1990
- BA Mathematics Open University 1973
- FBPsS British Psychological Society 1986
- CPsychol - Chartered Clinical Psychologist British Psychological Society 1990
- PhD Psychology Hull University 1972
- BA Psychology Hull University 1967
- EMDR 3-part training British EMDR Institute 2006
- Cognitive Processing Therapy for PTSD Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre 2011
Details of entry to specialist register
- Clinical Psychologist registration with HCPC, 2013
Affiliations / memberships
Membership of the British Psychological Society (BPS) and the Society for Psychotherapy Research (SPR)
- Queen Street Consulting Rooms 7 Queen Street...
- 08:30 - 13:00
- 07946 744696
Post treatment communication
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Chris Leach (07946 744696)