- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cardiac devices
- Devices: cardiac resynchronisation therapy device (CRT)
- Devices: dual chamber pacemaker insertion
- Devices: implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Devices: single chamber pacemaker insertion
- Electrophysiology complex cardiac ablation
- Electrophysiology intervention
- Electrophysiology simple cardiac ablation
- Reporting of echocardiography
- Trans-oesophageal echocardiography
- Transthoracic echocardiography
Professor Elijah Behr is a clinical cardiologist and electrophysiologist with an interest in all aspects of the treatment of arrhythmias including ablation and device therapies and cardiac genetic disorders. He completed his medical education at St John's College, Cambridge and Guy's Hospital, London with distinction. He was appointed to his current role in 2007 having undertaken full time clinical training and research at St George's.
Professor Behr is an international expert in the management of patients and families with cardiac genetic disorders that can cause sudden death - sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS), the Brugada and long QT syndromes and cardiomyopathies . He is President of the Association for Inherited Cardiac Conditions and is UK lead on the International Guidelines Writing Committee. He co-leads research in the 100,000 genomes project on inherited heart rhythm disturbances. He is Health Care Partner lead of the European Reference Network for rare heart disease - GUARD-HEART.
Areas of interest
Arrhythmias; Cardiac electrophysiology; Ablation; Cardiomyopathy; Sudden arrhythmic death syndrome; SADS; Syncope; Blackouts; Brugada syndrome; Long QT syndrome; ARVC; HCM; CPVT; catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia; hypertrophic cardiomyopathy; arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy; arrhythmogenic cardiomyopathy.
- Petula Potts
- Cardiology Clinical Academic Group ST. Georges Hospital Medical School Cranmer Terrace London SW17 0RE
- 07392 113455
- 020 8725 3416
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Giampaolo Martinelli Fee Assured
- The Association of Inherited Cardiac Conditions AICC
- St George's University of London
- SCVC profile
- St George's Hospital profile
- New Malden Diagnostic Centre Prfile
- Harley Street Clinic profile
- Prof Elijah R Behr
Current NHS consultant posts held
Professor Behr is a Consultant Cardiologist at St George's Hospital specialising in cardiac electrophysiology and Professor in Cardiovascular Medicine at St George's University of London.
Professor Behr runs an arrhythmia service to manage and treat heart rhythm disorders. He also runs a nationally reputed multi-disciplinary clinical service to diagnose and treat families with sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS) and inherited heart diseases.
Professor Behr's research focus is the genetic, electrophysiological, clinical, epidemiological, and pathological investigation of sudden death. He has particular interests in Brugada syndrome, long QT syndrome and cardiomyopathies as well as sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS). His aim is to develop new methods for risk stratification and prevention of sudden death.
2013 Writing Member for HRS/EHRA/APHRS International Guidelines for Diagnosis and Management of Arrhythmia Syndromes
2013 Editorial Board Member, Heart Rhythm Journal, USA
2012 Visiting Professor of Cardiology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University, Denmark
Many international speaking invitations at meetings of learned societies in the USA, Europe and Asia-Pacific .
Top 10 of 178 Articles
Priori SG, Wilde AA, Horie M, Cho Y, Behr ER, et al. HRS/EHRA/APHRS expert consensus statement on the diagnosis and management of patients with inherited primary arrhythmia syndromes:document endorsed by HRS, EHRA, and APHRS in May 2013 and by ACCF, AHA, PACES,and AEPC in June 2013. Heart Rhythm. 2013 Dec;10(12):1932-63.
R. Männikkö, ...E.R. Behr*, E. Matthews*. Dysfunction of the skeletal muscle voltage gated sodium channel in sudden infant death syndrome. Lancet 2018 Mar 28
David J. Tester,... Elijah R Behr*, Michael J Ackerman*. Cardiac Genetic Predisposition in Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018 Mar 20;71(11):1217-1227
Michael Papadakis, ... Sanjay Sharma*, Elijah R. Behr*. The Diagnostic Yield of Brugada Syndrome After Sudden Death With Normal Autopsy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018 Mar 20;71(11):1204-1214
Lahrouchi N,... Behr ER. Utility of Post-mortem Genetic Testing in Cases of Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017 May 2;69(17):2134-2145
Nademanee K,... Behr ER. Fibrosis, Connexin-43, and Conduction Abnormalities in the Brugada Syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015 Nov 3;66(18):1976-86.
Jamshidi Y,... Behr ER. Common Variation in the NOS1AP Gene Is Associated With Drug-Induced QT Prolongation and Ventricular Arrhythmia. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012 Aug 28;60(9):841-50.
Raju H, .... Behr ER. Low Prevalence of Risk Markers in Cases of Sudden Death Due to Brugada Syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 57(23):2340-2345.
Behr ER et al. Sudden arrhythmic death syndrome: familial evaluation identifies inheritable heart disease in the majority of families. Eur Heart J 2008; 29(13):1670-1680.
Makita N, Behr E et al. The E1784K mutation in SCN5A is associated with mixed clinical phenotype of type 3 long QT syndrome. J Clin Invest 2008; 118(6):2219-2229.
Behr E et al. Cardiological assessment of first-degree relatives in sudden arrhythmic death syndrome. Lancet 2003; 362(9394):1457-1459.
Out-patient clinic satisfaction rates - 98% Good and Excellent
- BA Honours Cambridge University 1990
- MBBS with Distinction London University 1993
- MA Honours Cambridge University 1993
- MD London University 2005
Reference number 4031491
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- President Association for Inherited Cardiac Conditions 2016
- Cardiovascular GECIP subdomain co-lead for the 100,000 genomes project St George's University of London 2015
- Miles Frost Fund Panel Member British Heart Foundation 2016
- Inherited Cardiac Conditions National Steering Group NHS England 2017
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy National Steering Group NHS England 2017
- South London Inherited Cardiac Conditions (SLICC) Network St George's Hospital 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiology, 2007
Affiliations / memberships
2017 onwards Fellowship of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)
2012 onwards Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (RCP)
2012 onwards European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA)
2010 onwards Association of Inherited Cardiac Conditions (AICC) council
2007 onwards British Heart Rhythm Society (BHRS)
- 5 Huxley RoadSurrey Research ParkGUILDFORDGU2 7RE
- 18:00 - 22:00
- 01483 467100
- Department of Cardiology St George's Hospital...
- 09:00 - 11:00
- 020 8725 5939
- Surrey Cardiovascular Clinic
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 01483 467100
- The New Malden Diagnostic Centre
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 020 3277 0160
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details