- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Dr Khan is a Consultant Physician at St Mary’s and Hammersmith Hospitals, Imperial College London Healthcare NHS Trust; and an Adjunct Reader at Imperial College London, having been appointed in 2007. He is a Consultant in Gastroenterology with Specialist accreditation in Hepatology and also in General Internal Medicine. He qualified from Guy’s Hospital Medical School in 1994 and underwent house-officer posts at Guy’s Hospital and Greenwich District Hospital.
Dr Khan underwent medical training as a Senior House Officer at St Thomas’, Hammersmith, Charing Cross and West Middlesex Hospitals, before becoming a Specialist Registrar in Gastroenterology in London. Between 1999 and 2002 he was a Clinical Research Fellow to Professor Howard Thomas and Professor Simon Taylor-Robinson at Imperial College London, where his studies in liver cancer led to being awarded a PhD from the University of London in 2003. His senior gastroenterology and specialist hepatology training was completed at St Mary’s Hospital and University College Hospital, London. Dr Khan became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) in 2010.
His sub-specialty interests within Hepatology include
• investigation of abnormal liver function tests
• liver cancer
• fatty liver disease
• viral hepatitis
• autoimmune and metabolic liver disease
• alcoholic liver disease
and within Gastroenterology his interests include
• abdominal pain
• investigation of a change in bowel habit
• Endoscopy, including both gastroscopy and colonoscopy.
Since his appointment, as well as running a general Hepatology/Gastroenterology service, Dr Khan set up a dedicated clinic for decompensated cirrhotic patients. He is also the clinical and academic lead for liver cancer. Dr Khan also performs general endoscopy lists and is a designated endoscopy trainer. He is also on the General Medical Consultant On-call rota.
Dr Khan is an accredited Royal College of Physicians Educator and enjoys a large teaching role, at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. He is Unit Training Director for junior doctors in the Hepatology Unit at Imperial College London. He is course Director of the Gastroenterology & Hepatology BSc Programme at Imperial College London. Dr Khan is Deputy Director of Medical School Admissions for Imperial College London Medical School.
Areas of interest
Hepatology including abnormal liver tests; Fatty liver disease; Alcoholic liver disease; Viral hepatitis; hepatitis B and C; Cirrhosis; haemachromatosis; autoimmune hepatitis; All chronic liver disease; Liver tumours; oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (OGD); colonoscopy; flexible sigmoidoscopy; polypectomy;
Heartburn; Indigestion; Abdominal pain; Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing); ulcers; Abnormal blood chemistry; Stomach ache; Stomach pain
- Karen Baxter/Jeanette Brindley
- The Liver Centre The London Clinic Consulting Rooms 116 Harley Street LONDON W1G 7JL
- 020 7616 7719
- 07584 318782
Current NHS consultant posts held
Dr Khan is a Consultant Physician at St Mary’s and Hammersmith Hospitals, Imperial College London Healthcare NHS Trust; and Adjunct Reader at Imperial College London, having been appointed in 2007. He is Course DIrector of the Gastroenterology and Hepatology BSc programme at Imperial College London and Deputy Admissions Tutor for Imperial Medical School.
Dr Khan is extensively published in the world medical literature on various aspects of liver disease and in particular liver cancer. He has an active research profile investigating the genetic, metabolomic and proteomic profiling of liver malignancies and epidemiology of liver cancer around the world.
British Liver Trst Award for Liver Cancer Research
English, Urdu, Hindi
Dr S Khan has over 80 publications in peer reviewed medical literature
Courses offered to GPs
Abnormal Liver tests, Fatty Liver Disease, Liver Cancer, Hepatology updates
- Caecal intubation rate >95%
- Polyp detection rate >20%
- readmission rate 0%
- mortality rate 0%
- BSc Honours Immunology (2:1) Guy's and St Thomas' Medical School, University of London 1992
- MBBS Guy's and St Thomas' Medical School, University of London 1994
- PhD Imperial College London (University of London) 2003
- FRCP Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians 2011
Reference number 4111658
Details of entry to specialist register
- Gastroenterology; Hepatology and General Internal Medicine, 2007
Affiliations / memberships
Dr Khan is a member of the:
- British Medical Association
- British Association for the Study of the Liver
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- European Association for the Study of the Liver
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- International Liver Cancer Association
- BMI The Clementine Churchill Hospital, HA1 3RX
- 18:30 - 20:30
- 020 3312 6254
- St Mary's Hospital - Lindo Wing, W2 1NY
- 17:30 - 20:00
- 020 3312 6254
- The Liver Centre, The London Clinic Consulting...
- 08:30 - 12:30
- 020 7616 7719
- The Liver CentreThe London Clinic Consulting...
- 16:00 - 18:30
- 020 7616 7719
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr Shahid A Khan
ph: 0203 312 6254