- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Video consultations
- Phone consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
After completing my training I became a Consultant Paediatric Surgeon in 2004 at Leeds General Infirmary. I have special interest in Gastrointestinal, Hepatobiliary and Key hole surgery.
I am a Senior lecturer at University of Leeds and an Honorary Professor of Paediatric Surgery to Soochoo Children's Hospital in Suzhou, China.
I have dual qualifications and have studied law as a full time student. I obtained the degree in law and qualified as a barrister in 2003.
Areas of interest
Gastrointestinal; Liver; Gallbladder; Pancreas; Spleen; Stomach; Bowel; Neonatal; General; Abdominal; Groin surgery; Key hole surgery; laparoscopic; robotic procedures; endoscopy
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Paediatric Surgeon at Leeds General Infirmary
The current projects are as follows.
1. Multicentre Randomised control trial to investigate the effectiveness of CoSeal Surgical Sealant in reducing intra-abdominal adhesions following the Kasai Hepatoportoenterostomy for biliary atresia.
2. Double Blind Randomised Controlled Trial to Investigate the Efficacy of ANTOX (vers) 1.2 and MGCT (Magnesiocard®) for the Treatment of Hereditary Pancreatitis and Idiopathic Chronic Pancreatitis.
This is a Europe wide trial known as EUROPAC-2
I am a keen squash player and learning to be a beekeeper.
I have received clinical excellence awards by the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Urdu - Native or bilingual
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Fluent
- Pashto, Pushto - Basic
I have a number of publications in Peer rev journals. This website has a limit on word count, few examples are as follows.
1. Alizai N, Dawrant M, Najmaldin A. Robotic-assisted resection of Choledochal cysts and hepaticojejunostomy in children. Pediatric Surgery International. Mar 2014: Vol 30(3);291-294
2. Patricia McClean, Naved Alizai. Acquired disorders of the biliary tract in Children. Paediatrics and Child Health. Vol 23:12 Dec 2013
3. Davenport M, Ong E, Sharif K, Alizai NK, McClean P, Hadzic N, Kelly DA. Biliary atresia in England and Wales: results of centralization and new benchmark. J Pediatr Surg 2011 Sep;46(9):1689-94
4. NK Alizai, M Richards, MD Stringer. Is concomitant splenectomy really necessary for patients undergoing cholecystectomy in mild Hereditary Spherocytosis. Arch Dis Child. 2010 Aug;95(8):596-9. Epub 2010 Jun 7
5. Puppala S, Patel J, Woodley H, Alizai NK, Kessel D. Preoperative imaging of left portal vein at the Rex recess for Rex shunt formation using wedged hepatic vein carbon dioxide portography. J Pediatr Surg 2009 Oct;44(10):2043-7
6. Livesey E, Cortina Borja M, Sharif, Alizai NK, McClean P, Kelly D, Hadzic N, Davenport M. Epidemiology of biliary atresia in England and Wales (1999-2006). Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2009 Nov; 94(6): F451-5. Epub 2009 May 19
7. Stringer MD, Alizai NK. Mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver: a systematic review. J Pediatr Surg. 2005 Nov;40(11):1681-90
8. Alizai NK, Thomas DF, Lillford RJ, Batchelor AG, Johnson N. Feminizing genitoplasty for congenital adrenal hyperplasia: What happens at puberty? J. Urol.1999 May; 161(5): 1588-91
9. Bianchi A, Sowande O, Alizai NK, Rampersad B. Aesthetics and lateral thoracotomy in the neonate. J Pediatr Surg. 1998 Dec; 33(12): 1798-800
10. Alizai NK, Batcup G, Dixon MF, Stringer MD. Rectal biopsy for Hirschsprung’s disease: what is the optimum method? Pediatr Surg Int. 1998 Mar; 13(2-3): 121-4
11. Alizai NK, Puntis JW, Stringer MD. Duodenal web presenting with acute pancreatitis. J Pediatr Surg. 1997 Aug; 32(8): 1255-6
12. Bianchi A, Dickson AP, Alizai NK. Elective delayed midgut reduction- No anaesthesia for gastroschisis: Selection and conversion criteria. J Pediatr Surg. 2002 Sep;37(9):1334-6
Courses offered to GPs
I deliver ad hoc talks to GP practices and happy to be contacted to arrange talks and seminars.
I am the sole Paediatric Liver Surgeon on Leeds and one of the four for the whole of the United Kingdom. We have published the data on one of the main procedures I perform, namely Kasai Portoenterostomy for Biliary Atresia; and the results are second to none internationally.
I have a very low complication rate.
- FRCS (Paediatric Surgery) Intercollegiate Board, United Kingdom 1998
- FRCSI Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin, Ireland 1992
- Diploma in Law University of Exeter, United KIngdom 2002
- Bar at Law University of The West of England, Bristol, UK 2003
- Certificate of Completion of Training (CCST) JCHST, United Kingdom 2001
Reference number 4589286
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Executive board member and Audit Lead British Association of Paediatric Endoscopic Surgeons (BAPES) 2013
- Executive Board member and Audit/Reseach lead European Society of Paediatric Endoscopic Surgeons (ESPES) 2014
- Board member of Governing Body Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), Blackpool 2014
- UK representative to educational & Training Board European Pediatric Surgeons Association (EUPSA) 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council, 2001
Affiliations / memberships
The General Medical Council
The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
The British Association of Paediatric Surgeons
British Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
British Association of Paediatric Endoscopic Surgeons
European Paediatric Surgical Association
European Society of Paediatric Endoscopic Surgeons
European Hepato-Pancreato-biliary Association
- Spire Elland Hospital, HX5 9EB
- 09:00 - 12:00
- 01422 324000
- Spire Leeds Hospital, LS8 1NT
- 17:30 - 18:30
- 0113 269 3939
- Spire Leeds Hospital, LS8 1NT
- 15:30 - 18:30
- 0113 269 3939
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details