- Fee assured
- Verified account
- General urology
- Urological oncology
• Lifetime commitment to innovative research, education and clinical excellence
• Accredited Consultant Urologist and Pelvic minimally invasive surgeon
• Strong academic background in prostate oncology and imaging
• Special interests in minimally invasive treatments for prostate cancer, prostate imaging and biomarker development
• Over 20 years of clinical experience
• Established NHS and independent practice West London since 2007
• Skilled in general urology, urological oncology, laparoscopy
Matt Winkler leads the prostate cancer services at Charing Cross Hospital, Imperial College NHS Healthcare Trust, and chairs the prostate specialist multidisciplinary meeting of the cancer network. He also is lead urology cancer surgeon at the Chelsea&Westminster Fundation Hospital. At Westmiddlesex hospital site he deals with elective and emergency urology and trains junior doctors.
He provides an expert opinion for most aspects of general urology (urinary symptoms, pelvic and kidney pain, prostate and bladder problems, male incontinence, stones, scrotal lumps, penis problems, sex life trouble, suspected urological cancers, blood in urine, infections) except infertility and female incontinence. However, his superspecialist interests are prostate cancer screening (PSA), diagnosis and treatment including keyhole treatments of urological cancers. He introduced robotic ultrasound/MRI fusion targeted prostate biopsy in the UK.
Matt Winkler is a high volume robotic and laparoscopic prostate cancer surgeon having completed >1000 keyhole procedures.
He has a super specialist practice for high risk or locally advanced prostate cancer.
As one of the most experienced surgical practitioners in England he offers a second opinion for prostate cancer management, conservative or failed primary curative treatments.
In April 2016 he performed the first MRI thermography guided focal HIFU treatment in the UK (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3555704/Right-target-prostate-cancer-zapper-won-t-ruin-love-life-New-hope-men-early-stage-condition-development-new-ultrasound-cooks-tumour.html).
His team at Charing Cross Hospital pioneered day case surgery for laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8049603.stm).
He also introduced the concept of volumetric surveillance and staging with multi parametric MRI and histoscanning to improve outcomes.
In addition he is visiting reader at the Institute of Global Health Improvment, Imperial College, author of numerous peer reviewed publications and investigator and collaborator of several prostate cancer studies.
Areas of interest
Laparoscopic procedures ('keyhole surgery'); Bladder syndromes; Ultrasound; Testicular pain; Kidney (renal) cancer; Prostate disease including prostate cancer; Urological oncology; Testicular cancer; Kidney disorders; Incontinence (urine / faeces); Bladder cancer; Vasectomy (including reversal); Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH); Bladder; Kidney stones; Cancer diagnosis; Inguinal scrotal disorders; Haematuria; Radical prostatectomy; Penile cancer; High intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU); Circumcision; Penile disorders; Penile surgery
- Clare Hayden
- 15th Floor, Private Patients Charing Cross Hospital Fulham Palace Road LONDON W6 8RF
- 020 3311 7768
- 020 3311 1119
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Dejan Markovic Not Fee Assured
- Dr Foster
- Top Doctors
- BMI Syon Clinic
- Chelsea & Westminster Hospital
- Prostate cancer blog
- First MRI thermography guided focal HIFU
- BUPA Cromwell Hospital
- The Mulberrry Centre
Current NHS consultant posts held
Charing Cross Hospital, Imperial College NHS Healthcare Trust, London
Chelsea&Westminster NHS Fundation Hospital Trust, West Middlesex site
Prostate cancer (diagnosis, high risk and treatment failures),
PSA testing and screening,
development of biomarkers,
epigenetic cancer signatures,
minimally invasive treatments of prostate cancer (HIFU and keyhole surgery),
imaging of prostate cancer
Cycling, judo, contemporary classical music
(Additional) Languages spoken
- German - Native or bilingual
Courses offered to GPs
Prostate cancer and prostate disorders
NICE guidelines on the management of lower urinary tract symptoms
View videos on youtube
Short length of stay for robotic radical prostatectomy <1.1 days
Low readmission rates (under 10%)
severe incontinence only 2%
minor incontinence at 1 year 17% (patient questionnaire data)
- MD University of Magdeburg and Bristol Urological Institute 2005
- Intercalated BSc Biochemistry University of Magdeburg 1991
- State Exam Med (Equivalent to MB.BS) Medical Academy, University of Magdeburg, Germany 1992
- Fellow in Laparoscopic Urological Surgery Department of Urology, University of Leipzig, Germany, Professor Stolzenburg 2007
- Research Fellow Bristol Urological Institute and School of Veterinary Medicine 2001
- Scholarship - The Biomedical Science Exchange Program New York Medical College, Westchester Medical Centre, N.Y., USA 1992
Reference number 4160384
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Trustee Mulberry Centre 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- Urology, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
- 15th Floor, Private Patients Charing Cross...
- 12:00 - 15:00
- 020 3311 7768
- BMI Syon Clinic 941 Great West Road BRENTFORD...
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 020 3311 7768
- BUPA Cromwell Hospital
- 08:00 - 11:00
- 020 7460 5700
Post treatment communication
07957396866 (private number - life threatening emergencies only)
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: mattwinklerwulff