- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Areas of interest
Bowel cancer screening;
Screening for detection of early and pre-cancer changes in bowel;
Screening and treatment of colonic polyps; Inflammatory (IBD);
Management of bowel symptoms following cancer treatment;
Particular interest in high quality, safe, colonoscopy;
Management of bowel symptoms following cancer treatment
- Karen Chambers
- Professional Medical Management Services High Trees Hillfield Road HEMEL HEMPSTEAD HP2 4AA
- 0844 858 1177
- 0844 858 1122
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Peter Amoroso Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Gastroenterologist, specialist endoscopist and Deputy Director Bowel Cancer Screening St Marks and Northwick Park Hospital
Chair of the Joint Advisory Group for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Since Jan 2017
Quality and safety in colonoscopy and endoscopy
Early detection and management of bowel cancer
Early detection of dysplasia in inflammatory bowel disease
Improving polypectomy outcomes
British Society Gastroenterology Hopkins Prize 2018 in recognition of outstanding contribution to the field of Endoscopy
John of Ardene Medal Royal Society Medicine
1. Endoscopy in 2017: a national survey of practice in the UK. Shenbagaraj L, Thomas-Gibson S, Stebbing J, Broughton R, Dron M, Johnston D, Shaw T, Haboubi HN, Green JT. Frontline Gastroenterology 2018.
2. Changes in scoring of Direct Observation of Procedural Skills (DOPS) forms and the impact on competence assessment. Siau K, Dunckley P, Valori R, Feeney M, Hawkes NH, Anderson JT, Beales ILP, Wells C, Thomas-Gibson S, Johnson G. Endoscopy 2018
3. How I do colonscopy. Waye JD, Thomas-Gibson S. Gastrointest Endosc. 2018
4. Impact of a new distal attachment on colonoscopy performance in an academic screening center. Tsiamoulos ZP, Misra R, Rameshshanker R, Elliott TR, Beintaris I, Thomas-Gibson S, Haycock A, Suzuki N, Rees C, Saunders BP.
Gastrointest Endosc. 2018
5. Implementing endoscopy checklists, a step in the right direction? Hartery K, Thomas-Gibson S, Rutter MD. Endoscopy 2018:
6. An International survey of polypectomy training and assessment. K. Patel, A. Rajendran, O. Faiz, M.D. Rutter, C. Rutter on behalf of BSG Trainees Section, R. Jover, I. Koutroubakis, W. Januszewicz, M. Ferlitsch , E. Dekker , D. MacIntosh , S. C. Ng, T. Kitiyakara, H. Pohl , S. Thomas-Gibson. Endoscopy International Open. 2017
7. Cumulative Burden of Inflammation Predicts Colorectal Neoplasia Risk in Ulcerative Colitis: A Large Single Centre Study. Choi CR, Al Bakir I, Ding NJ, Lee GH, Askari A, Warusavitarne J, Moorghen M, Humphries A, Ignjatovic-Wilson A, Thomas-Gibson S, Saunders BP, Rutter MD, Graham TA, Hart AL. Gut. 2017
8. Infection following lower gastrointestinal endoscopy: Silent risk or non-event? Crudeli A, Thomas-Gibson S.Endoscopy. 2017
9. Factors defining expertise in screening colonoscopy. Patel K, Pinto A, Faiz O, Rutter, MD, Thomas-Gibson S. Endoscopy International Open. 2017
10. Safe Endoscopy. Matharoo M, Thomas-Gibson S Frontline Gastroenterology 2017
11. A prospective study of patient safety incidents in gastrointestinal endoscopy. Matharoo M, Haycock A, Sevdalis N, Thomas-Gibson S. Endosc Int Open. 2017
12. Report of the Association of coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland/British Society Gastroenterology Colorectal Polyp Working Group: The development of complex colorectal polyp minimum dataset Chattree A, Barbour JA, Thomas-Gibson S, Bhandari P, Saunders BP, Veitch AM, Anderson J, Rembacken BJ, Loughrey MB, Pullan R, Garrett WV, Lewis G, Dolwani S, Rutter MD. Colorectal Dis. 2017
Courses offered to GPs
Bowel Cancer screening: for who, where and when?
Investigating bowel symptoms, what to choose and tell your patients.
Colonic polyps explained.
Investigating and treating inflammatory bowel disease.
Rectal bleeding- what should I do?
Is it irritable bowel syndrome?
Caecal intubation rate 95-97%
Adenoma detection rates 45-55% (in screening population)
Significant complication rates (bleeding, perforation) 0.2% in last 12 months
- MD Imperial College 2006
- FRCP (MRCP) London 1996
- MBBS Imperial College London 1992
- BSc Imperial College London 1991
Reference number 3614916
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chair Joint Advisory Group Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Royal College Physicians 2017
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCST, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
British Society Gastroenterology
European Society Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
American Society Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- 116 Harley StreetLondon
- 13:30 - 17:00
- 0844 858 1177
- London Clinic, W1G 6BW
- 09:30 - 12:30
- 0844 858 1177
- Trust PlusSt Mark's and Northwick Park...
- 13:30 - 15:00
- 0844 858 1122
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
02076167782 (London Clinic patient)
02082354000 (St Marks Patient 24 hours)
0208 235 4141 (St Mark's Endoscopy Daytime hours)
08448581177 All Emergency/urgent enquiries 24 hours