- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I am a consultant-level speech and language therapist with almost 20 years experience of assessing and treating communication and swallowing difficulties. In particular, I specialise in the assessment and rehabilitation of patients with head and neck cancer before, during and following their treatment. I also treat patients with benign diseases of the head and neck, specifically laryngotracheal stenosis. I am also experienced in working with patients with communication and swallowing difficulties relating to other cancers particularly lung cancer. I have extensive experience of working with older people and those affected by progressive neurological diseases.
I have an holistic approach to my work and place great value on multidisciplinary collaboration and involving families and caregivers.
I have worked in a number of centres of excellence including Imperial Healthcare NHS Trust, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, The Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust. Currently, I work as the Clinical Service Lead for the airway disorders and ENT service at Charing Cross Hospital as well as the Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust where I also lead the speech and language therapy service.
In addition to my clinical work, I am involved in a number of international research collaborations. I have published a number of peer reviewed scientific papers and have presented at prestigious meeting in the UK, Europe and the United States. I hold an honorary academic appointment in the Department of Surgery and Cancer at Imperial College London
I am a national adviser in head and neck cancer and palliative care to the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and chair the Head and Neck Clinical Excellence Network for Head and Neck Cancer for the south of England.
Areas of interest
swallowing assessment and rehabilitation; head and neck cancer; benign disorders of the head and neck; lung cancer; oncology; progressive neurological disease; palliative care
Current NHS consultant posts held
Head of Speech & Language Therapy
The Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Clinical Service Lead - Speech and Language Therapy (Airway/ ENT Service)
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
Department of Surgery and Cancer,
Imperial College London
- Swallowing outcomes following (chemo)radiotherapy treatment for head and neck cancer
- Swallowing and voice outcomes in patients treated for laryngotracheal stenosis
- Swallowing in non-malignant conditions
- The benefit of targeted radiotherapy techniques to improve swallowing outcomes
- Interventions to improve swallowing problems following late treatment effects
- Swallowing problems relating to lung cancer
- Understanding the rehabilitation needs of patients with advanced lung cancer
- Patient reported outcome measures
- Service delivery models
2017 Patricia McGregor Travelling Fellowship
2016 Head and Neck Cancer Alliance Award from the Dysphagia Research Society Meeting, Tucson, Arizona
2016 Giving Voice Award from the Royal College of speech and Language Therapists
Details of my peer reviewed publications and book chapters can be found at:
Courses offered to GPs
In addition to conference and academic lectures, I have provided wider training for GP Education days and to nursing home teams.
- Ph.D. - Radiation oncology and swallowing outcomes The Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK 2013
- MSc (with distinction) - Advanced Clinical Practice: Dysphagia Research Newcastle University 2005
- Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Communication Sciences City University 1999
- BA (Hons) Majoring in Psychology Thames Valley University 2003
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chair of the Clinical Excellence Network for Head and Neck Cancer (South) Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Qualified as a Speech and Language Therapist, 1999
Affiliations / memberships
- British Laryngological Association
- United Kingdom Swallowing Research Group (UKSRG)
- British Association of Head & Neck Oncologists (BAHNO)
-European Head & Neck Society (EHNS)
- Life member RCSLT Clinical Excellence Network in Palliative & Supportive Care
- RCSLT Clinical Excellence Network in Head & Neck Oncology (South)
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.