- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Gynaecological oncology
Hello, my name is Jo Bailey. I am a consultant gynaecologist looking after women with general gynaecological problems and am a designated subspecialist with particular skills in treating gynaecological cancers and precancers.
I believe in confidential, holistic, person centred care, offering a range of treatments , including surgery for gynaecological problems as well as cancer. I qualified from Glasgow University in 1993 and completed my general gynaecology training in Newcastle before moving to Bristol to complete RCOG subspecialty training in gynaecological cancer treatment. I have been a consultant gynaecologist at St Michaels Hospital, part of University Hospitals Bristol since 2006. I have particular expertise in laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery and complex abdominal and pelvic surgery. As an accredited colposcopist with the BSCCP (British Society of Cervical Cytology and Pathology) I look after women with abnormal cervical smears and vulval skin problems.
For the past 6 years I have been the head of the gynaecological cancer department at St Michaels Hospital, the regional centre for gynaecological cancer. I also have a keen interest in training the next generation of gynaecologists and am the vice chair of the subspecialty training committee of the RCOG.
I am passionate about training the doctors of the future. I am educational supervisor for medical students and RCOG trainees and Training Programme Director for the RCOG recognized subspecialty training in gynaecological oncology. I am also vice chair of the subspecialty training committee of the RCOG.
Areas of interest
General gynaecology problems, including menstrual problems; painful periods; ovarian cysts; fibroids; abnormal smears; colposcopy; cancer and precancer; vulval problems
Procedures performed: hysterectomy, including keyhole; ovarian cystectomy; laparoscopy; hysteroscopy
- Kay James
- Spire Bristol Hospital Redland Hill Redland Bristol BS6 6UT
- 07444 852064
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Kate O'Connor Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
St Michaels Hospital
Bristol BS2 8EG
I am married with a daughter. As a family we enjoy the outdoors, especially ski-ing, cycling, kayaking and stand up paddle boarding.
University Hospitals Bristol ‘Celebrating Success’ Awards – Clinical Team of the Year 2017
- MB ChB University of Glasgow 1993
- FRCS(Ed) (Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1997
- MRCOG (Member of the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology) Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 1999
- Accreditated colposcopist BSCCP (British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology) 2002
- RCOG recognised Subspecialty Training in Gynaecological Oncology Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2006
Reference number 4013523
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Vice Chair of Subspecialty training Committee of RCOG RCOG 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCST in Obstetrics and Gynaecology with subspecialty accreditation in Gynaecological Oncology, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
Member of British Gynaecological Cancer Society (BGCS)
Member of European Society Gynaecological Oncology (ESGO)
Member of British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (BSCCP)
British Medical Association (BMA)
- Nuffield Health Bristol Hospital-The...
- 14:00 - 16:30
- 0117 906 4870
- The GlenRedland Hill Durham Down BRISTOLBS6 6UT
- 09:00 - 12:00
- 0117 980 4000
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
If you have been recently discharged from hospital following an operation, please contact the Hospital directly.
If you have seen Dr Bailey in clinic, please contact the office on 07444852064