- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 4 May 2020
Mr. Chukwuemeka's practice encompasses the whole spectrum of heart and lung surgery and his specialist interests include aortic valve surgery and transcatheter aortic valve implantation(TAVI), surgery for ischaemic heart disease (coronary artery surgery), and surgery for aortic aneurysms.
He also performs video-assisted thoracoscopic operations for lung and pleural disease, diagnostic operations for chest disease and surgery for lung cancer.
Areas of interest
Aortic surgery, coronary artery surgery, thoracic surgery, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI), surgery for lung cancer
- Sharon Boother
- London Cardiovascular Clinic 66 Harley Street LONDON W1G 7HD
- 020 7436 0669
- 020 7323 0217
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Smitangshu Mukherjee Fee Assured
- Dr Shane George Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
1. Chief of Service, Cardiovascular Sciences, and Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
2. Hon. Senior Lecturer, National Heart and Lung Institute
Cell adhesion molecule inhibition in myocardial ischaemia-reperfusion injury.
Timing of intervention in aortic valve disease.
Minimally Invasive Versus Conventional Aortic Valve Replacement: A Propensity-Matched Study From the UK National Data. Innovations 2016 11(1):15-23.
Influence of Gender on Clinical Outcomes Following Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation from the UK Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Registry and the National Institute for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research. Am J Cardiol 2014 1;113(3):522-8.
Survival of patients with renal dysfunction undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting. J Cardiovasc Surg 2013
Comparing results of on-pump with off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting in patients over seventy years of age. J Cardiovasc Surg 2013
Arterial Pulse Wave Dynamics After Percutaneous Aortic Valve Replacement: Fall in Coronary Diastolic Suction With Increasing Heart rate as a Basis for Angina Symptoms in Aortic Stenosis. Circulation 2011 124(14):1565-72.
How to manage the left subclavian artery during endovascular stenting for thoracic aortic dissection. An assessment of the evidence. Ann Vasc Surg 2010 24(7):956-65.
Editorial. Think 'better bypass' before thinking 'off-pump'? Chukwuemeka A. Heart 2009;95(12):955-6
Surgery of the Thoracic Aorta. Kidher ES, Chukwuemeka A. Surgery 2008;26(12):510-12
Aortic Valve Replacement: A Safe and Durable Option in Patients with Impaired Left Ventricular Systolic Function. Chukwuemeka A et al. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2006;29(2):133-8
Valve Surgery in Octogenarians: A Safe Option with Good Medium-term Results. Chukwuemeka A et al. J Heart Valve Dis 2006;15:191-6
- MB BS University of London (St. Thomas' Hospital Medical School) 1992
- FRCS(England) Royal College of Surgeons of England 1996
- FRCS(CTh) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2004
- MD University of London 2004
- LLB(Hons) OU 2004
Reference number 3680076
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Executive Committee Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in GB and Ireland 2014
- Medical Technologies Advisory Committee National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) 2013
- Cardiac Surgery National Clinical Reference Group NHS England 2013
- Regional Specialty Advisor Royal College of Surgeons of England 2013
- Director, Cardiothoracic Skills Course Royal College of Surgeons of England 2012
- Chair, Adult Cardiac Surgery Committee Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in GB and Ireland 2015
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2005
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons of England, Royal Society of Medicine (Cardiothoracic Section, former Council Member), The Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland, The Society for Heart Valve Disease, British Medical Association, Old Etonian Medical Society, International Society for Heart Research (European Section)
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
0207 436 0669
07594 076 857