- Not Fee assured
- Verified account
I am a Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist with specialist accreditation in General Medicine and Rheumatology. I am Honorary Consultant Physician at Epsom General Hospital, Surrey and see private patients at the hospitals listed on this website.
I graduated from Charing Cross Hospital Medical School, London University and received my Doctorate from the University of London. I was awarded the Charing Cross Hospital’s Trustees’ Research Fellowship, the Michael Mason Medal for my work on ultrasound in Rheumatology, and a Private Patients’ Plan Research Fellowship at Jesus College, Cambridge. I am also Clinical Lead for sponsoring medical research.
I am a
• Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
• Honorary Senior Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow
• Member of the British Medical Association
• Member of the British Society for Rheumatology
• Member of the Committee of the Nutritional Affinity Group of the British Society for Immunology
• Member of the International Society for Tryptophan Research
A full CV and list of publications is available from my PA, Beth Coton, as below.
I have an active and wide ranging research program which includes
• Rheumatoid arthritis
• Huntington’s Disease
• Chronic brain injury
• Parkinson’s Disease
• Cardiac bypass surgery
• Lipid and purine metabolism
• Flavonoids in medicine
• Nutritional immunology
I founded Epsom Medical Research (Registered Charity No. 1101433) to fund research. Collaborating with Professor Trevor Stone at Oxford University, Epsom Medical Research supports two post-doctoral research scientists. This work results in a very productive relationship between laboratory science and clinical medicine.
I have published many papers in peer-reviewed journals and abstracts for national and international meetings. I have also co-edited 4 books.
I take a holistic approach to my work with patients. I consider all aspects of your health, rather than treating any condition in isolation. I treat and manage a full range of rheumatological, autoimmune, and general medical conditions. This includes
• Assessment of complex and problematic rheumatological and medical conditions
• A full preventative and therapeutic osteoporosis program to prevent osteoporotic fractures, and to treat any fractures and the pain from them should they occur.
• Monitoring of Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs (DMARDS), e.g. methotrexate, leflunomide, mycophenolate, sulphasalazine, hydroxychloroquine etc.
• Bereavement counselling
• Weight reduction
• Nicotine withdrawal
I also see patients referred by GPs on a “one visit” basis to advise on a particular diagnostic or treatment problem before returning patients to the care of their GP.
I work with GP colleagues to transfer care of stable Rheumatology patients to the community, following UK Government’s requirements.
Areas of interest
Rheumatoid arthritis; Psoriatic arthritis; Gout; Metabolic bone disease; Osteoporosis; All aspects of acute and chronic general medicine; Nutritional immunology; Weight reduction; Nicotine withdrawal; Bereavement support
Current NHS consultant posts held
Honorary Consultant Physician, Epsom General Hospital, Epsom, Surrey KT18 7EG
Locum Consultant Rheumatologist, Worthing and Southlands Hospitals, West Sussex
Locum Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist at :-
- St Anthony's Hospital, North Cheam SM3 9DW
- The Ashtead Hospital, Ashtead KT21 2SB
- Mount Alvernia Hospital, Guildford GU1 3LX
- Locum Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist, Raynes Park Medical Centre, 1 Lambton Rd,
London SW20 0LW
Dr Darlington has wide-ranging research programme on rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, gout, stroke, Huntington’s Disease, depression, chronic brain injury, Parkinson’s Disease, neuroprotection, lipid and purine metabolism, malaria, flavonoids in medicine and nutritional immunology. She founded Epsom Medical Research, Registered Charity 1101433, to fund research in clinical medicine and laboratory science. Dr Darlington has published over 50 research papers, four chapters and three books.
She has been awarded theCharing Cross Hospital’s Trustees’ Research Fellowship, the Michael Mason Medal for her work on ultrasound in Rheumatology and a Private Patients’ Plan Research Fellowship at Jesus College, Cambridge.
Dr Darlington has also been awarded a Clnical Excellence Award Level 9.
Dr Darlington has published over 50 papers or reviews in peer-reviewed journals and has written four chapters and co-edited three books.
Further details are available from her personal website : www.LGDmedical.co.uk.
Courses offered to GPs
Dr Darlington lectures to collleagues and the general public.
Information is available from individual hospitals at which she works, e.g. Clare Park.
Topics: all aspects of rheumatology and general medicine.
Extremely successful 360 degrees evaluation from colleagues and patients.
Summary: Highly Rated as good / outstanding
Revalidated to 20 June 2020
- MB, BS University of London 1968
- MRCS, LRCP University of London 1968
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians (UK) 1988
- MD University of London 1974
Reference number 1206986
Details of entry to specialist register
- Rheumatology, 1977
Affiliations / memberships
Member, British Society for Rheumatology
Member, South West Thames Regional Rheumatology Group.
Member, British Society of Immunology
Member, British Neuroscience Association
Member, International Society for Tryptophan Research
Member, Society for Neuroscience (USA)
Member, Medical Section of Amnesty International.
Member of Centre for Women & Leadership, Lucy Cavendish College, Cambridge
Chairman, mid-Surrey, Kingston and Esher Division of the British Medical Association
- Ashtead Hospital, KT21 2SB
- 09:00 - 20:00
- 01372 221441
- BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital, GU1 3LX
- 06:00 - 06:30
- 01483 442693
- Clock House Healthcare Limited, KT18 7LX
- 10:00 - 17:00
- 01372 840837
- Epsom Hospital, KT18 7EG
- 13:00 - 18:00
- 01372 735735
- Spire Clare Park Hospital Crondall Lane...
- 10:00 - 13:00
- 01372 353204
- Spire St Anthony's Hospital, SM3 9DW
- 09:30 - 12:00
- 020 8337 6691
Post treatment communication
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
07802505979 (Dr Darlington)