- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
This healthcare professional is currently treating patients. Please speak to them to find out more about their availability.
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
I am a Consultant Paediatrician and have a broad as well as specialised work experience in Paediatrics.
Established the First Paediatric Allergy & Respiratory Service in East Kent (2002).
Specialist interest: Paediatric Allergy; Paediatric Respiratory disorders; General Paediatrics; Cystic Fibrosis.
Responsible for the care of Children with Cystic Fibrosis in the Southern half of East Kent.
Worked at the Hammersmith Hospital, London; Whipps Cross Hospital, London; Sheffield Children's Hospital & Clinical Research Fellow at the University of Aberdeen and Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital (RACH).
Master of Science (MSc) in Allergy from Imperial College, London
Elective experience at the Children's Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Areas of interest
Respiratory disorders; Allergies; General Paediatrics
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Paediatrician in East Kent Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (EKHUFT) based at the William Harvey Hospital, Ashford, Kent;
Honorary Consultant in Paediatric Allergy, King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London.
Paediatric Allergy including Food and respiratory allergies.
Paediatric Respiratory including Cystic Fibrosis.
Supportive of children and community
establishments/projects that create a brighter future for children and the homeless.
August 2000: British Lung Foundation Fellowship Award
July 2001:British Paediatric Respiratory Society Fellowship Award
April 2006 to date:Clinical Excellence Awards from East Kent University NHS Foundation Trust
1. Endobronchial Fibrosarcoma Presenting as Recurrent Left-sided Pneumonia. Atul Gupta, Rosemary Marsh, Simon Jordan, Simon Padley, Kareem Aboulalfa, Ola Smith, Cyril Fisher, Andrew G. Nicholson, Andrew Bush. Pediatric Pulmonology.Article first published online: 30 December 2010. DOI: 10.1002/ppul.21400.
2. Familial Association of Childhood Wheezy Bronchitis And Asthma Only Through the Male Lineage. O. Smith, G. Russell, P. J. Helms. Thorax, December 2004. Vol 59, Suppl II. Ii68.
3. Trends of Atopic Sensitisation and Physician Diagnosed Asthma (PDA) Across 3 generations. O.O. Smith, P.J. Helms, J. Martin, L. Adams, G. McNeill, G. Russell.
(Accepted as poster presentation by the American Thoracic Society for the May 2002
conference in Atlanta).
4. Association of Chronic Respiratory Symptoms across 3 generations: O.O. Smith, P.J. Helms,
J. Martins, L. Adams, G. Russell. European Respiratory Journal, September 2001.Vol 18, Suppl 33,. p128s-129s. P873.
5. Asthma or viral-associated wheeze. O.O. Smith, P. J. Helms. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2001 Jun;2(2): 196, 198-9.
6. Genetic/environmental determinants of adult chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and
possible links with childhood wheezing. O.O. Smith, P.J. Helms Paediatric Respiratory Reviews. June 2001.2, p178-183.
7. Country Specific Features of Intermediate Asthma Phenotypes in “High Risk” Families
A.D.G Baxter-Jones, P. J. Helms, O.O. Smith, G. Russell, J. Tsanakas, F. Kirivassilis.
American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, April 2001,Vol 163. No 5, A203.
8. Late expression and persistence of leukotriene C4 (LTC4) in upper respiratory secretions in
infants with Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) bronchiolitis. O. O. Smith, R. J. Brooker, S.
K. Ismail, P. J.Helms. European Respiratory Journal. August 2000. Vol 16, Suppl 31, p196s.
9. Acute Viral Bronchiolitis: Mucosal Inflammatory Responses Are Age Dependent. R. J.
Brooker, O. O. Smith, S. K. Ismail, P. J.Helms. European Respiratory Journal October 1999,
14: Suppl 30. 20s.
Courses offered to GPs
Regular seminars to GPs, Hospital and Community Professionals
- MB.BS 1989 1989
- MRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians 1995
- DCH (London) Royal College of Physicians; Diploma in Child Health 1996
- MRCPCH (UK) Medical Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health 1996
- FRCPCH (UK) Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health 2004
- MSc Imperial College, London 2014
Reference number 4276562
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member of the British Society of Allergy & Clinical Immunology (BSACI) BSACI 2002
- Member of the British Paediatric Respiratory Society (BPRS) British Paediatric Respiratory Society (BPRS) 2002
- Member of the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) 1999
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCST, 2002