- Not Fee assured
- Verified account
- Paediatric gastroenterology, hepatology & nutrition
Dr Nadeem Ahmad Afzal was appointed Consultant in Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition in 2004 at Southampton University Hospital NHS Trust, UK. He leads the paediatric endoscopy services offering a range of diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic procedures to babies and children in Hampshire.
Dr Afzal received specialist training in paediatric gastroenterology, nutrition, intestinal allergy and general paediatrics in Great Ormond Street, Barts and the London, Royal Free and Kings College Hospitals and served as research fellow at the University College of London, studying role of nutrition in paediatric inflammatory bowel diseases. Dr Afzal received his doctorate on the subject from Queen Mary, University of London. In 2010, he was appointed Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer at School of Medicine, Southampton. Dr Afzal has an active research programme in the university and is more than 60 Medline research papers.
At the Hampshire clinic, as a sub-specialist in paediatric gastroenterology Dr Afzal offers help to children with a wide range of gastrointestinal conditions including abdominal pains, reflux, vomiting, bloating, constipation, short and long-term diarrhea, gut allergy, rectal bleeding and inflammatory bowel disease. In addition he offers a paediatric endoscopy service at the Hampshire clinic using the latest High Defintion digital endoscopes.
Dr Afzal serves as Secretary of The British Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (BSPGHAN) and has served on the national British paediatric inflammatory bowel disease and medicines for children working groups. He has served as Editor-in-Chief of the World Journal of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.
Dr Afzal is involved in charity work and assists Lagan Foundation.
Areas of interest
Paediatric gastroenterology & nutrition ~ My expertise is in a wide range of gastrointestinal conditions including abdominal pains, reflux, vomiting, bloating, constipation, short and long-term diarrhea, gut allergy, rectal bleeding and inflammatory bowel diseases. Paediatric endoscopy (anaesthetic) - paediatric gastroscopy, ileosconoscopy (diagnostic and therapeutic) at the Hampshire Clinic.
- Claire Preston
- Dept. Of Paediatrics Southampton General Hospital Tremona Road SOUTHAMPTON SO16 6YD
- 023 8079 8711
- 023 8098 6837
- Ruth Nethercott
- BMI The Hampshire Clinic Basing Road Old Basing BASINGSTOKE RG24 7AL
- 01256 377717
- 023 8098 6837
Current NHS consultant posts held
1. Consultant Paediatric Gastroenterologist, Southampton Children's Hospital
2. Honorary Senior Lecturer in Paediatrics, School of Medicine, Southampton
1. Eosinophilic Oesophagitis
2. Gut and allergies
3. Paediatric inflammatory bowel diseases
4. General paediatric gastroenterology and nutrition issues
1. Photography - including medical photography for digital records to help to monitor clinical progress
2. Making electric guitars (Strat and Tele clones) with playing at charity events
3. Charity work - Lagan Foundation
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Fluent
- Urdu - Fluent
Courses offered to GPs
Modules for GP colleagues available on PULSE website
1. Key questions on gastroenteritis in children.
2. Managing Gastroesophageal reflux in children
Lectured on management of GOR in children on PULSE national meetings
- MD Queen Mary's, University of London 2010
- MRCPCH Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health 1997
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 1997
- MBBS King Edwards Medical University, Pakistan 1992
- Griffiths Developmental Scales Kings College, London 1997
Reference number 4456234
Details of entry to specialist register
- Paediatrics and Paediatric Gastroenterology, 2005
Affiliations / memberships
BSPGHAN Eosinophilic Oesophagitis Group
ESPGHAN IBD Porto Group
- BMI The Hampshire Clinic, RG24 7AL
- 18:00 - 19:30
- 01256 377717
Post treatment communication
Mobile: 07 496 496 573