- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Gynaecological oncology
Mr Summi Abdul Qualified from Leeds University in 1995. He has worked at a number of Centres of Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynaecology - Including St James's Hospital, Leeds; Leeds General Infirmary, Bradford Royal Infirmary, Northampton, Kettering, The John Radcliffe at Oxford, Sheffield Royal Infirmary, Tolouse, Ispwich, Hull and the Royal Derby Hospital.
He attained his CCT in Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Gynaecological Oncology in 2006. He has been a Consultant since 2006.
He has a strong interest and expertise in Keyhole surgery and is a nationally recognised expert in Keyhole surgery - Teaching other consultants nationally and internationally.
He is the Founder and Director of the DELTA centre.
Ad-hoc appointments available
Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist, Royal Derby Hospital
Keyhole Removal of ovary and treatment of endometriosis
Management of all Gynaecological Cancers
Treatment of abnormal smears and Colposcopy
Menstrual problems / Heavy periods
Pelvic Pain / Pain with intercourse
Areas of interest
Gynaecological Cancers ( Ovarian, Uterine, Cervical, Vulval and Vaginal ); Abnormal Smears / Colposcopy; Abnormal Vaginal bleeding ( Heavy periods, Irregular periods), Pelvic pain; Endometriosis; Painful periods; Pain with intercourse; Bleeding after intercourse; Ovarian cysts
Age treated; 12-100
keyhole Hysterectomy, Total Laparoscopic hysterectomy, Laparoscopic treatment of endometriosis, Laparoscopy, LLETZ; Colposcopy,
Open Hysterectomy, Hysteroscopy. Lapaoscopic oophorectomy, Vulvectomy
- Vanessa Green
- Royal Derby Hospital Level 2 Maternity and Gnaecology Uttoxeter Road Derby DE22 3NE
- 01332 785698
- 07742 428789
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist, Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgeon
Royal Derby Hospital
2012-2014 Supervisor to MD research Doctor looking at K+ channels in ovarian cancer
2007-2012 Recruitment of patients to ASTEC trial, Endometrial cancer study, Yoga trial and ovarian cancer screening studies.
2003-2006 Research project, ‘Evaluation of cervical impedance spectroscopy in the detection
of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and associated correlation in the expression of cell
adhesive molecules’. Clinical and laboratory based project at the Royal Hallamshire
1992 1 Year lab based research project into the antibacterial properties of an anti-ulcer
drug, Sucralfate against organisms commonly causing nosocomial pneumonia in
ventilated ICU patients. The research findings were presented and later published.
Recommendations were made that ventilated ICU patients should receive stress ulcer
Prophylaxis using Sucralfate rather than antacids
Teaching Laparoscopic Surgery
1: BSCCP prize for best ‘short’ presentation (2004) Awarded for oral presentation on ‘cervical impedance spectroscopy’ at the annual BSCCP meeting in Cardiff.
2: BSCCP prize for best conference abstract (2004) Awarded for one of the best abstracts submitted to meeting.
3: Bernard Baron award, RCOG (2005) Travelling fellowship awarded to undertake laparoscopic Gynaecological oncology fellowship in Toulouse and Paris.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Fluent
- Urdu - Fluent
1. The antibacterial activity of Sucralfate against Eschericia coli , Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa in batch and continuous culture. S Abdul et al ; The European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. Nov 93. 12 (11): 869 – 871.
2. Detection of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia using impedance spectroscopy – a prospective study. S Abdul et al; British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology; June 05. 112(6): 802-806.
3. Can we identify the patients likely to undergo bowel resection at the time of operation for ovarian cancer? S Abdul et al. The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology; May 2006, 26(4),357-62.
4. The use of electrical impedance spectroscopy in the detection of cervical intra-epithelial neoplasia. S Abdul et al. International Journal of gynaecological cancers 2006 Sep-Oct;16(5):1823-32..
5. Cervical impedance spectroscopy as a potential cervical screening tool. Prospective study of 170 women. S Abdul, B H Brown, P Milnes, J A Tidy. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology; Sept 2004; 24(6): 722-723.
6. Management and prognosis of uterine sarcomas- Sheffield case series; S Abdul et al; IJGC. 2004 Sep-Oct; 14 Suppl 1:183.
7. Can pre-operative Ca125 levels predict stage of disease and likelihood of optimal debulking in ovarian cancer? S Abdul et al; IJGC. 2005 Sep-Oct; 15 Suppl 2:86.
8. Predictors of inguino-femoral lymph node metastases in vulval squamous cell carcinoma. Can contra-lateral inguino-femoral lymphadenectomy be omitted in tumours with < 5mm depth of invasion? S Abdul et al; IJGC. 2005 Sep-Oct; 15 Suppl 2:101.
9. Trends in the management of vulval cancers. S Abdul et al; IJGC. 2005 Sep-Oct; 15 Suppl 2:100-1.
10. How radical should surgery be for vulvar cancer? Sheffield case series of 230 patients. S Abdul et al. European journal of Obstetrics and gynaecology. September 2006.
11. Paravaginal Dermoid Cyst- an unusual presentation. Abdul et al. BJOG June2012. 119. S1. P 207
12. Awareness of Signs and Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer among Gynecology Nurses in a Large Teaching Hospital in the UK (Awareness of Ovarian Cancer among Gynecology Nurses). Olumide Ofinran*, Daniel Hay, Raheela Khan and Summi Abdul. Aug 2015. J Women’s Health Care 4:257.
13. Selection of suitable reference genes for gene expression studies in normal human ovarian tissues, borderline ovarian tumours and ovarian cancer. Abdul S et al. Mol Med Rep. 2016 Dec;14(6):5725-5731.
Courses offered to GPs
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.doctify.co.uk/specialist/mr_summi_abdul
- Bsc(Hon) Leeds University 1992
- MB ChB Leeds University 1995
- DFFP RCOG 1997
- MRCOG RCOG 1999
- FRCOG RCOG 2012
Reference number 4194176
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- National ATSM Officer RCOG 2018
- MRCOG Examiner RCOG 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Obsetetric and Gynaecology, 2006
- Gynaecological Oncology, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College Of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
British Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
British Gynaecological Cancer Society
British Medical Association
Medical Defence Union
- Derby Private Health
- 11:00 - 13:00
- 01332 786128
- Nuffield Health Derby HospitalRykneld...
- 08:30 - 12:00
- 01332 540130
- Nuffield Health Derby HospitalRykneld...
- 08:30 - 11:00
- 01332 540130
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.