- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Spire Hartswood Hospital, Spire London East Hospital, The Holly Private Hospital, Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
Mr Niaz Islam is Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon (Medical Retina and Cataract Surgery) at Moorfields Eye Hospital London. He graduated from Guy’s and St Thomas’ Medical School, London in 1996. He trained at Moorfields Eye Hospital London, for 8 years – including two medical retinal fellowships and Locum Consultant (Medical Retina / Uveitis) in 2007.
He was appointed Consultant Ophthalmic surgeon in 2007 and set up the macular degeneration diagnostic and treatment service at Queen’s hospital, Essex. He was lead clinician for Havering and Barking & Dagenham diabetic retinopathy screening service. He was educational supervisor and clinical tutor for all Ophthalmic trainees within his NHS hospitals.
In 2012 he was nominated for a National Macular Disease Society Award by patients for excellent service delivery & clinical care. He is a high volume topical anaesthesia cataract surgeon and surgical trainer. He has a passion for education and teaching. He has published over 25 articles in peer-reviewed journals and written book chapters and co-authored “Crash Course in Ophthalmology”. As an undergraduate, he was awarded the Charles Oldham Essay Prize for Ophthalmology.
Mr Islam has a particular interest and experience in retina (age related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, anti-VEGF and retinal laser treatment, uveitis) and cataract surgery (monofocal and multifocal intraocular lenses).
Areas of interest
Cataract surgery (multifocal lens); Retinal disease / anti- VEGF treatment for Macular degeneration, Diabetic eye and retinal vein occlusion ; YAG and retinal laser ; chalazion; General / Primary care ; pupils / monocular blindness
- Mrs Alison Palmer (Moorfields appointments only)
- 020 7566 2690
- 020 7566 2608
- Research Gate - Publications list: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Niaz_Islam
- Patient feedback & ratings: http://www.doctoralia.co.uk/consultant/islam+niaz+m-12192747
- Linked in : http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/niaz-islam/4/449/749
- Spire Healthcare: http://www.spirehealthcare.com/hartswood/our-facilities-treatments-and-consultants/our-consultants/mr-niaz-islam/
- London Eye Specialist: http://www.londoneyespecialist.com
- Top Doctors - Own website: http://www.niaz.islam.com
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
Clinical Lead - Quality & Safety
Moorfields Eye Hospital
Clinical SLB assessor
Diabetic Eye Screening Programme -NE London
He has published over 25 articles in peer-reviewed journals and written book chapters and co-authored “Crash Course in Ophthalmology”. As an undergraduate, he was awarded the Charles Oldham Essay Prize for Ophthalmology.
Cataract Surgery (multifocal and toric premium lens implants); Medical Retina (Age related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, anti-VEGF, retinal laser treatment and uveitis)
In 2012 - nominated for national macular disease society award by patients for excellent service delivery & clinical care.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Bengali - Fluent
- French - Basic
He has published over 25 articles in peer-reviewed journals- many are listed via researchgate website.
Past 100 Phacoemulsification cataract surgical rates:
1) Endopthalmitis 0.00%
- infection after cataract surgery
2) Vitreous Loss/ Posterior Capsular Tear rate 0.01%
- complication during cataract surgery
- BSc (Hons) Guys & St Thomas (UMDS), London 1993
- MBBS Guys & St Thomas (UMDS), London 1996
- MRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists, England 2001
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists, England 2005
- Medical Retina Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 2005
Reference number 4316288
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC - Ophthalmology, 2005
Affiliations / memberships
1.European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons
2.American Academy of Ophthalmology
3.Royal College of Ophthalmologists, England
- Holly House Hospital, IG9 5HX
- 17:30 - 19:30
- 020 8505 3311
- Moorfields Private, 9-11 Bath Street, Old...
- 14:30 - 16:30
- 020 7566 2803
- Spire Hartswood Hospital, CM13 3LE
- 14:00 - 19:00
- 01277 232525
- Spire Hartswood, Eagle Way, BRENTWOOD, Essex,...
- 14:00 - 19:00
- 01277 232525
- Spire Roding Hospital, IG4 5PZ
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 020 8551 1100
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr Niaz Islam 07931 708440