- Not Fee assured
- Verified this account
I was appointed as a consultant physician in endocrinology, diabetes and general medicine from 2007 and work at the Belfast Health & Social Care Trust.
I have an interest in diabetes, osteoporosis, pituitary, adrenal conditions and general medicine.
I am an Honorary Clinical Lecturer for Queen's University of Belfast and was awarded Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (UK) in 2009.
I trained in Belfast and undertook a clinical fellowship at the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
Areas of interest
Diabetes; Thyroid disorders; Adrenal; Obesity; Pituitary disorders; Hypertension; Osteoporosis
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Physician, Endocrinology & Diabetes, Belfast Health & Social Care Trust
Musgrave Park Hospital
Royal Victoria Hospital
Incretin hormones and type 2 diabetes
Young Clinical Endocrinologists Clinical Review Lecture: Challenges in disease detection and treatment of the HPA axis during pregnancy. Clinical Cases Meeting, Society for Endocrinology, Royal Society of Medicine, London (National Prize) 2006
The post-operative basal cortisol and CRH tests for prediction of long-term remission from Cushing’s disease after transsphenoidal surgery. Lindsay JR, Oldfield EH, Stratakis CA, Nieman LK Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2011
The Diagnosis and Investigation of Adrenal Insufficiency. Wallace I, Cunningham I, Lindsay JR. Ann Clin Biochem. 2009; 46:351-367.
Treatment of ACTH-dependent Cushing’s Syndrome: A Consensus Statement. Biller BMK, Grossman AB, Stewart PM, Melmed S, Bertagna X, Bertherat J, Buchfelder M, Colao A, Hermus AR, Hofland LJ, Klibanski A, Lacroix A, Lindsay JR, et al. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2008; 93(7):2454-62.
Decreased DPP4 activity and glucagon-like peptide-1(7-36)amide degradation in type 2 diabetic subjects. McKillop AM, Duffy NA, Lindsay JR, O'Harte FP, Bell PM, Flatt PR. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2008; 79(1):79-85.
The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in pregnancy: Challenges in disease detection and treatment. Lindsay JR, Nieman LK. Endocrine Reviews 2005; 26(6): 775-99.
- MD Queen's University, Belfast 2002
- FRCP Edin Royal College of Physicians 1999
- MB BCH BAO Queen's University, Belfast 1996
- CCD ISCD 2016
- Diploma, Post-graduate Medical Education Queen's University, Belfast 2017
- Society for Endocrinology National Training Scheme for Thyroid Ultrasonography, London, UK Society for Endocrinology 2008
- ARSAC certificate for the administration of radioactive iodine for treatment of benign thyroid disease. University of Birmingham, UK 2007
- Metabolic bone disease Preceptorship Columbia University, New York 2005
- Bone densitometry: Clinical Densitometrist Certification International Society for Clinical Densitometry, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA 2005
Reference number 4315816
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- College Tutor Royal College of Physicians 2009
- Honorary Clinical Lecturer Queen's University, Belfast 2013
- NI representative Association of British Clinical Diabetologists' (ABCD) 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Endocrinology & Diabetes, 2007
- General Internal Medicine, 2007
Affiliations / memberships
Ulster Society of Internal Medicine: 2008-present
Royal College of Physician’s, Edinburgh: 2007-present
Association of British Clinical Diabetologists: 2007/2016
Irish Endocrine Society: 2001- present
Diabetes UK: 2000/3-present
The Endocrine Society: 2002- present
- Ulster Independent Clinic
- 18:00 - 21:00
- 028 9068 7444
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
028 9504 7312