- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Reporting of echocardiography
- Trans-oesophageal echocardiography
Dr Patel qualified from the University of Wales, College of Medicine in 1992. He undertook his specialist training in Cardiology on The London Deanery Training Programme, principally at St Thomas’ Hospital. During this time, he received full training in all aspects of adult cardiology including coronary angiography (cardiac catheterisation), permanent pacemaker implantation, echocardiography (transthoracic and transoesophageal, Adult BSE Transthoracic Accredited).
During his research training fellowship, he investigated the use of non-invasive techniques to assess vascular function enabling the prediction of cardiovascular risk. The findings of this research have been published and presented at peer-reviewed national and international cardiovascular meetings.
Having then secured an interventional cardiology training fellowship at St Thomas Hospital, he received comprehensive, high-quality exposure and training in conventional percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) with balloon angioplasty and intracoronary stents, adjunctive techniques such as intravascular ultrasound and use of the intracoronary PressureWire as well as rotational atherectomy.
He was appointed as a Consultant Cardiologist in 2005 at Queen Elizabeth and St Thomas Hospital. He is currently Clinical Lead for Invasive Cardiology at Queen Elizabeth Hospital having overseen the establishment of a local angioplasty service for elective and emergency cardiac patients in a new cardiac catheter laboratory.
Areas of interest
• Chest pain • Angina • Shortness of breath • Blood pressure • Heart failure • High cholesterol and heart risk • Palpitations • Irregular heart rhythms • Coronary and ischaemic heart disease • Coronary angiography (cardiac catheterisation, incl. radial) • Interventional cardiology (angioplasty stents) • Pressure wire • Intravascular ultrasound • Rotational atherectomy (rotablation) • Radial artery access procedures • Hypertension • Echocardiography (transthoracic and transoesophageal) • Cardiovascular defects • Invasive cardiology • Cardiovascular medicine • Angioplasty • Permanent pacemakers (single and dual chamber)
- Ms Helen Symeou
- London Bridge Hospital 27 Tooley Street LONDON SE1 2PR
- 020 7407 5887
- 07824 905081
- 0845 280 0073
- Ms Sue-Anne Pluis (Account Manager)
- PO Box 161 WEST WICKHAM BR4 9AS
- 020 8325 1016
- 07818 043976
- 0845 280 0073
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Gudrun Kunst Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiologist Queen Elizabeth - Woolwich and St Thomas' Hospital
Aside of previous peer reviewed journals/ publications, invitations for UK newspapers/ media e.g. Daily Mail and BBC.
Courses offered to GPs
Cardiac Drugs Update; Cardiovascular Risk Management, Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and Diabetes; ECGs interpretation; Contemporary Assessment and Management of Ischaemic Heart Disease, Heart Failure
Invasive Cardiology Data is nationally reviewed and can be found at: http://www.bcis.org.uk/pages/page_box_contents.asp?pageid=775&navcatid=157
- MB BCh University of Wales College of Medicine 1992
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians of London and Edinburgh 1996
Reference number 3616949
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT in Cardiology, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the British Cardiovascular Society
Member of the British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
Member of the British Society of Echocardiography
Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
07824 905081/ 07818 043976/ 02074075887