- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 7 Jun 2020
- Lower GI surgery
Appointed Consultant General, Colorectal, & Laparoscopic Surgeon at the James Paget University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in January 2006.
Qualified from Indira Gandhi Medical College Shimla, India (http://www.igmcshimla.org) in 1985 and then underwent higher surgical training from 1987 to 1993 at Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Chandigarh, India (http://pgimer.nic.in) In 1994 completed FRCS in General Surgery. Over 25 years of extensive surgical experience.
Examiner for Intercollegiate Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS), GMC PLAB examiner, E-Tutor for Colorectal Mastership programme from UEA. Involved in teaching medical students and is an Honorary Senior Lecturer at University of East Anglia, Norwich.
Areas of interest
Laparoscopic (key hole) and open surgery for all types of common Hernias, including incisional hernias, surgery for small bowel disease, colorectal disease; bowel cancer, diverticular disease, Crohns, Ulcerative colitis, haemorrhoids, fissure etc. Laparoscopic and open Gall bladder removal (Cholecystectomy), removal of lumps and bumps. Upper Gastro Intestinal Endoscopy (OGD), Lower Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and removal of polyps (Colonoscopy and Flexible Sigmoidoscopy, polypectomy).
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Colorectal, General, Laparoscopic and Paediatric General Surgeon
Main place of work; James Paget University Hospitals, NHS Foundation Trust, Gorleston, Great Yarmouth
Private work; at JPUH as above and Spire Hospital Norwich, Old Watton Rd, Norwich, Norfolk NR4 7TD. 01603 456181
Bowel cancer and benign bowel disorders
Awarded Clinical Individual of the year October 2012 at the James Paget Hospital Annual Trust Awards.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Fluent
1. Effects of Blockade of Transdiaphragmatic Absorption of Bacteria and Parenteral Cefotaxime on Survival in Peritonitis: An Experimental Study in Rats.
Lal Roshan, Bose SM, Ganguly NK, Panigrahi D.
Indian J Gastroenterol, 1992; 4: 168-9
2. Traumatic Haemobilia
Lal Roshan, Singh G, Bose SM.
Bulletin of the postgraduate Institute, 1991; 26:149-51.
3. Expectant Management of Haemoperitoneum
Bose S M, Mazumdar A, Gupta R, Giridhar M, Lal Roshan, Praveen B V.
Injury, Int. J. Care Injured 30 (1999) 269-273
4. Gastric Outlet Obstruction due to Gall Stone – Bouverets Syndrome
Lal Roshan, Lawrence D.
West Suffolk Hospital E-Journal, Issue 5, July 2002
5. An unusual case of scalp abscess. Br Jl of Hosp Med. 2009; 70 (5); 297. Turnbull H, Duckworth A, Velchuru V, Lal R
6. Diaphragm disease and small bowel enteropathy due to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs; a surgical perspective. Pilgrim S, Velchuru V, Waters G†, Tsiamis A, Lal R
Dept. of General Surgery, James Paget University Hospital, Great Yarmouth, UK.
Original Article in Colorectal Disease; “Accepted Article”; doi: 10.1111/j.1463-
7. Aviation-based teamwork skills work for surgeons:time for an ‘aviation bundle’?
original article in ANZ J Surg (2018)
Atanu Pal,*†‡ Roshan Lal* and Frank Frizelle†‡
*Department of Surgery, James Paget University Hospital, Great Yarmouth, UK
†Department of Surgery, Christchurch Hospital, Christchurch, New Zealand and
‡University of Otago, Christchurch, New Zealand
8. Effect of Social Deprivation on the Stage and Mode of Presentation of Colorectal Cancer
Ann Coloproctol 2016;32(4):128-132
Ahmed ELHadi, Sarah Ashford-Wilson, Stephanie Brown, Atanu Pal, Roshan Lal, Kamal Aryal
Department of General Surgery, James Paget University Hospital, Great Yarmouth, UK
My 90 day bowel cancer resection mortality rate and results of patient satisfaction survey 2017-18 are all within national acceptable / normal range.
- MBBS Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimal, India 1985
- Master of surgery (MS)- 6 years training programme Postgraduate Institute Of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh India 1993
- FRCS Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 1994
- FRCS (ad eundem) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2010
- Membership of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers (FST) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2015
Reference number 4353018
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Surgery, 2005
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Sugeons of England.
British Medical Association.
- East Point Consulting Rooms, James Paget...
- 12:00 - 14:00
- 01493 601770
- Spire Hospital Norwich
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 01603 456181
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Charnwood ward at James Paget Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. 01493 453900, 452338.
At Spire Hospital Noriwch; main switchboard;
01603 255 614