- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Giuseppe Sforza studied medicine at the University of Bari, Italy, 1986-92. After his surgical training, he continued his higher orthopaedic training at the same University. In 1999 he was appointed shoulder surgery fellow at the Reading Shoulder Unit at the Royal Berkshire Hospital under Stephen Copeland and Professor Ofer Levy.
In 2000 after completion of his fellowship, he returned to Italy and was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Matera, Italy as head of the shoulder and elbow unit and from 2006 at Policlinico di Bari at the University Hospital. Since 2001 he has been visiting clinician and has attended regularly the prestigious "teach the teachers" elbow course at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, USA with Mr Shawn O’Driscoll and Mr Bernard Morrey. He achieved a master degree in Hand and Wrist Surgery at the University of Milan between 2013 and 2014.
In 2004 he joined the Reading Shoulder Unit, and he was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Redditch, Worcester Acute NHS Trust in 2007. From 2015, he has held a contract with the Royal Berkshire Hospital for upper limb surgery. He has moved to full private practice from 2016.
He has published scientific papers and chapters to books on Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and lectures on several topics: Shoulder and Elbow arthroscopy, arthroplasty, sports injury, post-operative rehabilitation.
Areas of interest
Shoulder surgery; Elbow surgery; Wrist surgery; Hand surgery, Trauma surgery of upper limb. Arthroscopic and Arthroplasty primary and revision surgery.
- Kate Whiting
- Berkshire Independent Hospital Swallowscroft Wensley Road Reading RG1 6UZ
- 0118 902 8109
- 0118 902 8138
- Michelle Bennett
- Platinum Medical Centre 15-17 Lodge Road London NW8 7JA
- 020 8004 6656
- 07826 595558
- Tania Sandham
- Spire Dunedin Hospital 16 Bath Road Reading RG1 6NS
- 07826 595558
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Contract with Trauma and Orthopaedic Consultant, Royal Berkshire Hospital Trust, Reading
Shoulder and Elbow arthroscopy and arthroplasty
Sailing, Reading, Jazz
-Sangiorgi Prize, University of Bari 1996
-European Grant On Erasmus project, Karolinska Institute, Stockolm 1997
-Italian Shoulder and Elbow Travelling Fellowship 2002, Mayo Clinic USA
-Best presentation British Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2012, 2017
Last 10 papers pubblished:
1. Reverse shoulder arthroplasty with a cementless short metaphyseal humeral implant without a stem: clinical and radiologic outcomes in prospective 2- to 7-year follow-up study.
Levy O, Narvani A, Hous N, Abraham R, Relwani J, Pradhan R, Bruguera J, Sforza G, Atoun E.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016 Aug;25(8):1362-70
2. Acromioclavicular joint acceleration-deceleration injury as a cause of persistent shoulder pain: Outcome after arthroscopic resection.
Atoun E, Bano AA, Tongel AV, Narvani A, Sforza G, Levy O.
Indian J Orthop. 2014 Mar;48(2):193-6
3. Medium to long-term outcome of thoracoscapular arthrodesis with screw fixation for facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy.
Van Tongel A, Atoun E, Narvani A, Sforza G, Copeland S, Levy O.
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Aug 7;95(15):1404-8
4. The "anchor shape" technique for long head of the biceps tenotomy to avoid the popeye deformity.
Narvani AA, Atoun E, Van Tongel A, Sforza G, Levy O.
Arthrosc Tech. 2013 May 11;2(2):e167-70
5. The 'hand squeeze' test for posterior 'muscle patterning instability' of the shoulder.
Van Tongel A, Atoun E, Narvani A, Sforza G, Levy O.
Acta Orthop Belg. 2013 Feb;79(1):31-5.
6. Management of first-time dislocations of the shoulder in patients older than 40 years: the prevalence of iatrogenic fracture.
Atoun E, Narvani A, Even T, Dabasia H, Van Tongel A, Sforza G, Levy O.
J Orthop Trauma. 2013 Apr;27(4):190-3
7. Arthroscopically assisted internal fixation of the symptomatic unstable os acromiale with absorbable screws.
Atoun E, van Tongel A, Narvani A, Rath E, Sforza G, Levy O.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012 Dec;21(12):1740-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2011.12.011
8. Pattern and time phase of shoulder function and power recovery after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair.
Hughes A, Even T, Narvani AA, Atoun E, Van Tongel A, Sforza G, Levy O.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012 Oct;21(10):1299-303. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2011.08.066
9. "Put your 'extended' finger on the bleeder": the use of direct pressure from the shaver blade to achieve hemostasis.
Levy O, Haddo O, Sforza G, Copeland S, Rath E.
Arthroscopy. 2011 Jun;27(6):867-9. doi: 10.1016/j.arthro.2010.12.007. Epub 2011 Apr 20.
10. Long-term result after traumatic anterior shoulder dislocation: what works best?
Van Tongel A, Rosa F, Heffernan G, Levy O, Sforza G.
Musculoskelet Surg. 2011 Jul;95 Suppl 1:S65-70
Courses offered to GPs
Shoulder Sports and Elbow Injuries:
Injection techniques for Shoulder, Elbow and Wrist, Update on Rotator cuff, instability and Ostheoarthrtis of the upper limb.
Readmission rate 2014-2016: 0%
Postoperative Infection rate: Deep infections:0%, Superficial <0.5%
Mortality rate 0%
Patient satisfaction rate:
Subjective score: 98,3% patients described their shoulder as better or much better after treatment.
97% improved Constant Score (shoulder and elbow score adopted from the European Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery)
- Medical Degree University of Bari, Italy 1986
- Specialization in Trauma and Orthopaedic University of Bari, Italy 1993
- Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship Royal Berkshire Hospital 2000
- Master In Hand and Wrist Surgery University of Milan 2013
Reference number 4620006
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member of the board Italian Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2007
- Member of subcommittee European Shoulder and Elbow Society 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialization in Trauma and Orthopaedics, 1999
Affiliations / memberships
Ordinary member European Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon
Ordinary member of the British Shoulder and Elbow Society
Ordinary Member of the Italian Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
Ordinary member of the Italian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Odinary Member of the Italian Society of Arthroscopist Surgeons
Ordinary Member of the British Medical Association
- Berkshire Independent Hospital
- 08:00 - 06:30
- 0118 902 8109
- Highgate Private Hospital, N6 4DJ
- 11:30 - 15:00
- 020 7483 5406
- Spire Dunedin Hospital, RG1 6NS
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 0118 955 3486
- Wellington Hospital
- 17:00 - 19:30
- 020 7483 5406
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Reading Shoulder Unit at Berkshire Independent Hospital 01189028000, Mr Sforza Secretary: 07826595558