- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Hand & Wrist
- Shoulder & Elbow
Mr Giuseppe Sforza studied medicine at the University of Bari, Italy, 1986-92. After his surgical training, he continued his higher orthopaedic training at the same University. In 1999 he was appointed shoulder surgery fellow at the Reading Shoulder Unit at the Royal Berkshire Hospital under Stephen Copeland and Professor Ofer Levy.
In 2000 after completion of his fellowship, he returned to Italy and was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Matera, Italy as head of the shoulder and elbow unit and from 2006 at Policlinico di Bari at the University Hospital. Since 2001 he has been visiting clinician and has attended regularly the prestigious "teach the teachers" elbow course at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, USA with Mr Shawn O’Driscoll and Mr Bernard Morrey. He achieved a master degree in Hand and Wrist Surgery at the University of Milan between 2013 and 2014.
In 2004 he joined the Reading Shoulder Unit, and he was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Redditch, Worcester Acute NHS Trust in 2007. From 2015 to 2017, he has held a contract with the Royal Berkshire Hospital for upper limb surgery. He has moved to full private practice from 2016.
He has published scientific papers and chapters to books on Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and lectures on several topics: Shoulder and Elbow arthroscopy, arthroplasty, sports injury, post-operative rehabilitation.
Areas of interest
Shoulder injection, shoulder pain, shoulder torn tendon, frozen shoulder, capsular release, MUA, shoulder ultrasound, subacromial impingement, AC joint Injuries, shoulder sport injuries, fracture of shoulder, rotator cuff repair, ligament repair, Shoulder stabilization, shoulder arthritis, Arthroplasty primary and revision surgery. Elbow arthroscopy, tennis elbow, golfers elbow, elbow stabilization, Ulnar nerve decompression, elbow arthritis, elbow fracture. Wrist surgery, Wrist pain, Carpal tunnel, Trigger Finger, Dequervain syndrome, Hand surgery.
- Francesca Weaver
- Schoen Clinic 66 Wigmore Street London W1U 2SB
- 020 3929 1046
- Tania Sandham
- Spire Dunedin Hospital 16 Bath Road Reading RG1 6NS
- Tania Sandham
- The Portland Hospital 205 - 209 Great Portland Street London W1W 5AH
- 0118 952 1317
- Trudy Wallum
- Berkshire Independent Hospital Swallowscroft Wensley Road Reading RG1 6UZ
- 0118 902 8109
- 0118 902 8138
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Full Private Practice
Shoulder and Elbow arthroscopy and arthroplasty
Sailing, Reading, Jazz
-Sangiorgi Prize, University of Bari 1996
-European Grant On Erasmus project, Karolinska Institute, Stockolm 1997
-Italian Shoulder and Elbow Travelling Fellowship 2002, Mayo Clinic USA
-Best presentation British Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2012, 2017
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Italian - Native or bilingual
Last 10 papers pubblished:
1 The "Parachute" Technique: A Simple and Effective Single-Row Procedure to Achieve an Increased Contact Area Between the Cuff-Tendon and Its Footprint.
Natera L, Consigliere P, Witney-Lagen C, Brugera J, Sforza G, Atoun E, Levy O.
Arthrosc Tech. 2017 Oct 16;6(5):e1903-e1909.
2 The "Purse String" Procedure for Recurrent Anterior Glenohumeral Instability: A Simple Technique to Achieve Bankart Repair, Capsular Shift, and a Good Labral Bumper.
Natera LG, Consigliere P, Witney-Lagen C, Bruguera J, Sforza G, Atoun E, Levy O.
Arthrosc Tech. 2017 Aug 7;6(4):e1245-e1251.
3. Reverse shoulder arthroplasty with a cementless short metaphyseal humeral implant without a stem: clinical and radiologic outcomes in prospective 2- to 7-year follow-up study.
Levy O, Narvani A, Hous N, Abraham R, Relwani J, Pradhan R, Bruguera J, Sforza G, Atoun E.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016 Aug;25(8):1362-70
4. Acromioclavicular joint acceleration-deceleration injury as a cause of persistent shoulder pain: Outcome after arthroscopic resection.
Atoun E, Bano AA, Tongel AV, Narvani A, Sforza G, Levy O.
Indian J Orthop. 2014 Mar;48(2):193-6
5. Medium to long-term outcome of thoracoscapular arthrodesis with screw fixation for facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy.
Van Tongel A, Atoun E, Narvani A, Sforza G, Copeland S, Levy O.
J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Aug 7;95(15):1404-8
6. The "anchor shape" technique for long head of the biceps tenotomy to avoid the popeye deformity.
Narvani AA, Atoun E, Van Tongel A, Sforza G, Levy O.
Arthrosc Tech. 2013 May 11;2(2):e167-70
7. The 'hand squeeze' test for posterior 'muscle patterning instability' of the shoulder.
Van Tongel A, Atoun E, Narvani A, Sforza G, Levy O.
Acta Orthop Belg. 2013 Feb;79(1):31-5.
8. Management of first-time dislocations of the shoulder in patients older than 40 years: the prevalence of iatrogenic fracture.
Atoun E, Narvani A, Even T, Dabasia H, Van Tongel A, Sforza G, Levy O.
J Orthop Trauma. 2013 Apr;27(4):190-3
9. Arthroscopically assisted internal fixation of the symptomatic unstable os acromiale with absorbable screws.
Atoun E, van Tongel A, Narvani A, Rath E, Sforza G, Levy O.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012 Dec;21(12):1740-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2011.12.011
10. Pattern and time phase of shoulder function and power recovery after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair.
Hughes A, Even T, Narvani AA, Atoun E, Van Tongel A, Sforza G, Levy O.
J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2012 Oct;21(10):1299-303.
Courses offered to GPs
Shoulder Sports and Elbow Injuries:
Injection techniques for Shoulder, Elbow and Wrist, Update on Rotator cuff, instability and Ostheoarthrtis of the upper limb.
Readmission rate 2014-2018: 0%
Postoperative Infection rate: Deep infections:0,01%, Superficial <0.5%
Mortality rate 0%
Patient satisfaction rate:
Subjective score: 98,3% patients described their shoulder as better or much better after treatment.
97% improved Constant Score (shoulder and elbow score adopted from the European Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery)
- Medical Degree University of Bari, Italy 1986
- Specialization in Trauma and Orthopaedic University of Bari, Italy 1998
- Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship Royal Berkshire Hospital 2000
- Master In Hand and Wrist Surgery University of Milan 2013
Reference number 4620006
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member of the board Italian Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2007
- Member of subcommittee European Shoulder and Elbow Society 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialization in Trauma and Orthopaedics, 1999
Affiliations / memberships
Ordinary member of the British Shoulder and Elbow SocietyOrdinary member European Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon
Ordinary Member of the Italian Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
Ordinary member of the Italian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Odinary Member of the Italian Society of Arthroscopist Surgeons
Ordinary Member of the British Medical Association
- Berkshire Independent Hospital
- 14:30 - 18:30
- 0118 902 8109
- Circle Reading Hospital
- 18:30 - 20:30
- 0118 922 6888
- Schoen Clinic
- 08:30 - 13:30
- 020 3929 1046
- Spire Dunedin Hospital, RG1 6NS
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 0118 952 1317
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Reading Shoulder Unit at Berkshire Independent Hospital 01189028000 or 07826595558