- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
I was an NHS Consultant Chest Physician for 18 years at Glenfield Hospital in Leicester before moving to Oxford to become the first University Professor of Respiratory Medicine in October 2013. I continue to see patients at the Oxford University Hospitals Foundation Trust, at the Manor Hospital in Oxford (Thursday evening) and Spire Hospital in Leicester (Friday evening roughly two weeks/month). My special area of interest is airway disease. I am a leading researcher in this area.
Areas of interest
Asthma; COPD; Chronic cough; Bronchiectasis
Current NHS consultant posts held
Honorary Consultant Physician
Oxford University Hospitals Foundation Trust
My research focuses on common airway diseases responsible for significant morbidity and NHS costs. I am the world's most cited researcher aged under 65 in this area. Key outcomes have not improved since 2005 despite increased use of effective treatments. I have addressed this by:
• Changing the way airways disease is assessed and classified so that treatment is used more effectively and economically by identifying key disease mechanisms, new biomarkers and leading the development of a new taxonomy of airway disease.
• Introducing new treatments. I discovered the clinical efficacy of Mepolizumab in 2009 by recognising that the effects were specific to patients with exacerbations and eosinophilic airway inflammation. I led the phase II (2012) and III studies (2014 & 17); and regulatory approvals (2015 & 16). This treatment is now approved for use on the NHS, the first new class of treatment for airway disease in 15 years, offering new hope for patients with severe asthma.
I am the father of three grown up children, none of whom have wanted to follow in my footsteps ('you work too hard dad'). I'm a keen golfer playing to a handicap of 6 and am a member of Notts (Hollinwell) and Frilford Heath Golf Clubs. I have a large garden in Charnwood Forest and love gardening. I travel extensively for work and pleasure.
2004: Cournand Lecture at the European Respiratory Society. This lecture is given to the most prominent European researcher aged <45.
2016: Gold Medal for asthma research from the European Respiratory Society.
I am the most cited researcher in my area world wide with 390 papers, including 8 in the leading Clinical Medicine journal (New England Journal of Medicine) and 13 in the Lancet. My 'H' index is 93. I am senior author of 4 of the 20 most cited papers in my field in the last 15 years.
Courses offered to GPs
I do ad hoc lectures to GPs and to patient organisation. We have a very active and successful patient involvement in research program in Oxford.
View photos of my team
Click an image to enlarge and read a description
View videos on youtube
- MB BS (basic medical qualification) University of London 1984
- FRCP (speciality exam; MRCP 1987; FRCP 1999) Royal College of Physicians 1999
- DM (Doctorate) University of Nottingham 1992
- FMedSci Academy of Medical Sciences 2015
- FERS European Respiratory Society 2014
- Specialist training in Respiratory Medicine 1987-1995 Leicester, Nottingham and Hamilton (Canada) 1987
Reference number 2942391
Details of entry to specialist register
- Accredited specialist in Respiratory and General medicine, 1995
Affiliations / memberships
British Thoracic Society
European Respiratory Society
American Thoracic Society
Royal College of Physicians (London)
Academy of Medical Sciences (London)
Professorial Fellow St Edmund Hall, University of Oxford
- Nuffield Manor Hospital, Headington, Oxford
- 17:00 - 19:30
- 01865 307451
- Spire Hospital, Leicester
- 17:00 - 19:30
- 0116 265 3678
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details