- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Sleep disorders
Dr Johnson Samuel has been a Consultant Respiratory Physician at Basildon University Hospital from 2004. He is the Director of Postgraduate Medical Education and the Lead for Pulmonary Physiology and Sleep Medicine in the Trust.
Dr Samuel graduated from the Christian Medical College & Hospital, Vellore, India with an MBBS and MD, General Medicine. After higher specialist training in Respiratory Medicine in Wales, he moved to Basildon. He became a Member of the Royal College of Physicians in 1998 and was elected a Fellow in 2008. He obtained a Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education (UCL/RCP) in 2009 and has been a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy since 2010.
His specialist interests are in Sleep medicine and Pulmonary Physiology. He has developed the Cardio-pulmonary exercise service, which is used widely by physicians, surgeons and anesthetists across the region. He sees patients with a wide range of respiratory disorders including COPD, Asthma, Lung Cancer, chronic cough, breathlessness, respiratory infections and interstitial lung disease. He performs fibreoptic flexible diagnostic bronchoscopy and other general respiratory procedures. He presents regularly at national & international conferences, has publications in peer-reviewed journals and has authored chapters in a respiratory textbook.
Dr Samuel is passionate about education and training. As DPME, he oversees postgraduate education and training in the trust. He regularly teaches medical students, postgraduate trainees, primary care physicians and nurses. He is an examiner of Royal College of Physicians and is an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer of the University College London.
Dr Samuel tries to treat patients holistically using patient centered, evidence based care. He believes medicine is a vocation and its practitioner’s lifelong learners.
Areas of interest
Sleep Apnoea; Chronic Cough; Invstigation of Breathlessness; Respiratory disorders; Bronchial Asthma; COPD; Lung Cancer; Assessment of fitness for surgery
- Josie Kelly
- Basildon University Hospital Nethermayne BASILDON SS16 5NL
- 01268 394707
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Respiratory Physician & Director of Postgraduate medical Education
Basildon University Hospital
Essex SS16 5NL
Investigation of Breathlessness
Slep Apnoea- treatment of subgroups
Clinical Excellence Awards
Part of COPD team winning Hospital Doctor Award 2005
Textbook of Respiratory Medicine
Courses offered to GPs
1. Regular respiratory updates.
2. GP learning seminaars
3. Education & Training for supervisors.
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians 2008
- MD Medicine Christian Medical College, Vellore, India 1994
- FHEA - Fellow of Higher Education Academy Higher Education Academy, UK 2010
- Postgraduate Certificate in medical Education RCP / UCL 2009
- CCST: Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training STA, Royal College of Physicians 2004
- MBBS Christian Medical College, Vellore, India 1989
- Cardio-Pulmonary Exercise Physiology Harbor-UCLA Medical Centre, Los Angeles 2011
Reference number 4732541
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer University College London 2010
Details of entry to specialist register
- Respiratory & General Medicine, 2004
Affiliations / memberships
1. Royal College of Physicians
2. British Thoracic Society
3. European Respiratory Society
4. British Sleep Society
5. East Anglia Thoracic Society
- Nuffield Health Brentwood Hospital
- 16:00 - 18:00
- 01277 695695
- Orwell Private Suite Ramsay Health Care Essex...
- 17:30 - 19:00
- 07712 111152
- Spire Hartswood Hospital
- 14:00 - 15:30
- 01277 266766
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr Johnson Samuel