- Not Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
Areas of interest
I do all aspect of Musculoskeletal Imaging and intervention. This encompasses use of X-rays, ultrasound, MRI and CT scans for all Orthopaedics, Rheumatological, Spine and Sports imaging.
Super-specialist interest in Foot and ankle disorders.
Specialise in guided injections and barbottage/dry needling for sports injuries. Particularly skilled with needle-phobics.
Lead for Neuroradiology at NHS hospital. This encompasses CT/MRI scans for Headaches, demyelination, stroke, TIA and spine disorders.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Radiologist, East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, covering Royal Blackburn Teaching Hospital, Burnley General Teaching Hospital and Clitheroe Community Hospital.
Super-specialist interest in foot and ankle disorders, involving plantar plates in the toes and high ankle sprains.
National research on imaging of SLE arthritis
Reading, walking, golf
Bronze award (2016)-
National recognition by the National Clinical Excellence Award Committee for contribution to radiology and dedication to patients.
This committee stringently evaluates the contribution of doctors in terms of innovative service delivery and development with a strong focus on patient care and teaching, publications and research contributions.
ESSR/ISS Prize (2005)- International recognition for radiology research in hand tumours.
SHM Khan, J Bloem. Chapter in Musculoskeletal Imaging, Edited by T.Pope, W. Morrison, JL Bloem, D. Wilson, J. Beltran. Published by
Saunders, 2nd Edition Dec, 2014.
2. Osseous Spinal tumors
SHM Khan, A De Schepper. Chapter in Spinal Imaging. Edited by J.van Goethem, Hauwe L, Parizel P. Published by Springer. Edition 2007.
3. Soft tissue metastases
A De Schepper, SHM Khan Chapter. in Soft Tissue tumor Imaging. Edited by A.
DeSchepper. Published by Springer. 3rd Edition 2006.
SHM Khan, JL Bloem. Chapter in Radiologic- pathologic correlation from
Head to toe. Edited by N. Gourtsoyiannis, P. Ros. Published by Springer. Edition 2005.
Journals (over 30 publications)
1. What is the relation between number of sessions worked and productivity of radiologists - a pilot study?
Khan SH, Hedges WP
Journal of Digital Imaging. 2016 Apr;29(2):165-74.
2. Adult Hypophosphataemic Osteomalacia
Imalingat HM, Mackichan M, Brockbank JE, Khan SH
JBR-BTR, 2015 June; 98(3):127-128
3.Brodie's abscess with tuberculous osteomyelitis of the foot.
Siddiqui MS, Javed S, Razak A, Zubairy A, Khan SH.
JBR-BTR. 2014 May-Jun;97(3):168-9.
4.Workload of consultant radiologists in a large DGH and how it compares to international benchmarks
Khan SH, Hedges WP.
Clin Radiol. 2013 May;68(5):e239-44. doi: 10.1016/j.crad.2012.10.016. Epub 2012 Dec 20.
5. IRMER regulations: Compliance rate of radiograph reporting by non-radiology clinicians
Kiu A, Bano F, Barnes R, Khan SH
Clin Radiol. 2010 Dec;65(12):984-8. Epub 2010 Oct 8
6. Radiology of acute injuries to the hand and fingers.
Porter N, Khan SH.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2010 Sep;71(9):M134-6.
7. Radiology of acute shoulder injuries
Basu S, Khan SH.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2010 Aug;71(8):M118-20
8. Radiology of acute ankle injuries
Gummow AD, Khan SH.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2010 Jul;71(7):M102-4.
9. Radiology of acute wrist injuries
Basu S, Khan SH.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2010 Jun;71(6):M90-3
10.Radiology of acute foot injuries
Gummow AD , Khan SH.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2010 May;71(5):M70-3
11. Radiology of acute knee injuries
Taylor V, Khan SH.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2010 Mar;71(8):M38-40
12. Radiology Reporting: A General Practitioner’s Perspective
FM Grieve, AA Plumb, Khan SH
British Journal of Radiology. 2010 Jan; 83(985); 17-22
- FRCR Royal College of Radiologists 2001
- MSK Dip (ESSR) European Society of Skeletal Radiology 2009
- Expert Witness Certificate Cardiff University with Bond Solon 2008
- Fellowship in Musculoskeletal Radiology and Intervention Leiden University Medical Centre 2004
Reference number 4609410
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Treasurer British Society of Skeletal Radiologist 2016
- Professional Support and Standards Board member Royal College of Radiologists 2014
- Editorial Board British Journal of Hospital Medicine 2006
- Editorial Board Radiological Documents 2005
Affiliations / memberships
General Medical Council
Royal College of Radiologist
British Society of Skeletal Radiologists
European Society of Skeletal Radiology
Radiological Society of North America
- BMI Gisburne Park Hospital, BB7 4HX
- 14:30 - 17:00
- 01200 415489
- BMI The Beardwood Hospital, BB2 7AE
- 08:00 - 13:00
- 01254 507650
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please contact me on 07915607530