- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Trauma focused CBT
I qualified as a Clinical Psychologist in 2002. I have worked in a variety of settings and have significant amount of experience in helping people with mental health difficulties that range from the mild to the severe. I have worked a lot with people who have eating disorders, relationship problems and other emotional problems. I strongly believe that each person is unique and therefore I use a variety of different treatments and approaches that are tailored to your individual needs and goals. At the first meeting, I shall work with you in order to understand your issues as clearly as possible so that the best treatment package can be devised for you.
I offer assessment, formulation and therapy to adults over 18 years of age experiencing mental health problems and/or interpersonal difficulties. To be more specific I work with people who may experience the following types of difficulties: Eating Disorders; Anxiety problems (generalised anxiety, phobias, panic, social anxiety); Depression and low mood; Long-standing interpersonal and relationship difficulties; Loss and bereavement; Consequences of childhood abuse and/or neglect; Self-esteem problems and Trauma (i.e. PTSD). I am trained in three types of psychotherapy; namely, cognitive behavioural therapy, cognitive analytic therapy and emotion focused therapy. I do tailor these therapies to each individual's needs and goals.
Areas of interest
Specialist Psychological Therapy (including Cognitive behavioural and cognitive analytical therapy) for the following difficulties; Major trauma (PTSD); Eating disorders; Substance misuse psychiatry; Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD); Alcohol / drug dependency; Anxiety disorders; Bereavement; Depression; Individual therapy; Adolescent mental health; Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
- Physical disability
Current NHS consultant posts held
I am currently the Clinical Director for a Clinical Psychology Training Programme at Cardiff University (Monday - Thursday)
I have been a very active researcher in the fields of adult mental health, eating disorders and clinical health psychology. My current research interests centre around the study of emotions in mental health problemsy, with a particular emphasis on eating disorders. Over the last few years, I have published a number of papers that have looked at the role of basic emotions in eating disorders.
John RE Fox and Ken Goss. (2012). Eating and its Disorders. WIley-Blackwell.
Fox, JRE., Smithson, E., Kellett, S., Ferreira, N., Mayr, I. and Power, M.J. (In-press). Emotion Coupling and Regulation in Anorexia Nervosa. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy.
- PhD in Clinical Psychology University of Edinburgh 2010
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (D.Clin.Psy) University of Wales, Cardiff 2002
- B.Sc (Hons.) Psychology Royal Holloway University of London 1995
- Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) Sheffield Hallam University/ Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapy (ACAT) 2012
- Basic Certificate in Emotion Focused Therapy York University, Toronto 2011
- Advanced Certificate in Emotion Focused Therapy York University,Toronto 2011
- Eye Movement, Desensitasation and Reprocessing (EMDR) Sandi Richman (London) 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Registered Applied Psychology Practice Supervisor with the British Psychological Society , 2013
- Accreditted Practitioner in Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT), 2012
Affiliations / memberships
Chartered Clinical Psychologist with the British Psychological Society (BPS)
Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society (AFBPsS)
Full Member of the Division of Clinical Psychology, BPS
Registered Clincial Psychologist with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
Member of the Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapy (ACAT)
- Remedy Lounge, 3rd Floor, Milton Hall, 244...
- 08:00 - 17:00
- 07946 063156
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.