- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
I am a Consultant Clinical Psychologist and BABCP Accredited Consultant Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist (since 2003) with over 25 years experience providing psychological assessments and treatment interventions for adults and children experiencing a broad range of psychological difficulties and mental health problems.
With relation to my CBT practice, since 2008, I have additionally been an accredited CBT Trainer and Supervisor and taught for over five years on the CBT Post Graduate Programme at the University of Birmingham. I continue to provide workshops and presentations in CBT and in recent years have been an invited speaker at international conferences in Egypt, Morocco and Switzerland. I have also provided extensive training for the Civil Service including the MOD and have provided workshops in mental health including CBT for GP's, Psychiatrists in Training and more Generic Mental Health Professionals.
With relation to my role as a Clinical Supervisor I have overseen the Clinical Practice of over 30 NHS qualified Psychologists and IAPT Workers and have helped a considerable number of professionals with their BABCP Accreditation process. I am also credited as having played an instrumental role developing a CBT Programme for Palestinian mental health professionals based in Bethlehem, Palestine. This was done in a voluntary capacity and has contributed to the establishment on a Palestinian Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies.
I have additional experience to draw on as past Regional Chair of the West Midlands Branch of the Division of Clinical Psychology, Chair of BSMHFT Trauma and Personality Disorder Working Group and I have served as a Trustee and an elected member of the Board Directors for BABCP.
Areas of interest
Individual Therapy; Couples Therapy; Family Therapy; Adult Mental Health; Child and Adolescent Mental Health; Eating disorders; Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); Bereavement; Depression; Anxiety disorders; Major trauma; Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD);Phobias; Stress related disorders; ADHD; Autistic Spectrum Disorders; School Refusal; Bereavement; Occupational Stress Related Disorders;
Current NHS consultant posts held
I have recently been appointed as Consultant Clinical Psychologist with responsibility for managing a team of Psychologists and Psychological Therapists who will help me develop Acute Mental Health Services in North Staffordshire Combined Mental Health Trust and the DBT Service in the same Trust.
1) The evidence base and application of CBT for common adult and child mental health problems.
2) Assessment and treatment of Single incident and Complex Trauma.
3) Transcultural approaches in Mental Health.
4) Positive Psychology and it's clinical application with strengths based formulation work.
1) I have aN interest in research in the field of Emotional Intelligence and it's application in everyday life and work / organisational contexts.
2) When I have free time I enjoy gardening, walking and travel.
Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society (AFBPS) (Awarded 2008)
1) Jabr, S., Morse, M., El-Sarraj, W., & Kessedjian, A. (September, 2013). CBT in Palestine. 43rd Annual Congress of the European Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies, Marrakech, Morocco
2) Kessedjian, A & Jabr, S., (September, 2012). A Pilot of an Arabic Spoken Ten Day Introductory CBT Practitioner Training Course in the West Bank, Palestine. 42nd Annual Congress of the European Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies, Geneva, Switzerland
3) Kessedjian, A (September 2001) The Role of Dysfunctional Core Beliefs among Individuals Experiencing Punishment and Persecution Paranoia. Submitted Thesis for award of Clin.Psy.D University of Birmingham
4) Kessedjian, A (September 2001) From Cognitive Biases to Core Beliefs: A review of the Literature of Evolving Cognitive Models of Paranoid (Persecutory) Delusions. Submitted Literature Review Paper for award of Clin.Psy.D University of Birmingham
Courses offered to GPs
1) CBT in a 10 minute Consultation (First presented at Primary Care Clinical Update Conference International Conference Centre, Birmingham, June 2003)
2) CBT for Patients with Anxiety and Depression
3) CBT for Patients with Anger Guilt and Shame
4) Professional Boundaries Training
5) An introduction to Dialectical Behaviour Therapy and treatment of Personality Disorders
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (Clin.Psy.D) University of Birmingham 2002
- Bachelor of Science with Honours in Psychology (BScHons) Open University 1997
- Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies 2003
- Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Supervisor British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies 2008
- Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Trainer British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies 2008
- Diploma in Counselling University of Warwick 1994
- EMDR parts 2 and 3 (Intermediary and Advanced) Sandi Richman (training approved by EMDR International Association) 2006
- EMDR part 1 (Basic) Sandi Richman (training approved by EMDR International Association) 2005
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.