- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Behaviour Therapy
- Behavioural Couples Therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Bulimia Nervosa (CBT-BN)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Trauma focused CBT
- Video & Telephone remote therapy sessions
Dr David Purves is a Chartered Consultant Psychologist and Health Professions Council accredited Psychological Practitioner. Dr Purves is also an accredited Cognitive behavioural therapy therapist.
Your mental health is worth protecting please make sure you choose a therapist who is properly trained and accredited.
Areas of interest
Anxiety disorders; Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD); Eye movement desensitisation & reprocessing (EMDR); Major trauma; Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT); Depression; Eating disorders; Individual therapy; Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); Adolescent mental health;
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
- Pain management
Current NHS consultant posts held
Dr Purves was previously Consultant Psychologist and head of the Berkshire Healthcare Traumatic Stress NHS Service
Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Depression and anxiety
Accredited CBT therapist
Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society
Fellow of the society of affective disorders
Computerised CBT in a primary care clinic In Primary Care today (2013).
David G. Purves & Janet Dutton (2013): An exploration of the therapeutic process while using computerised cognitive behaviour therapy. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research: Linking research with practice.DOI:10.1080/14733145.2012.761259
Purves, D. G., Bennett, M. And Wellman, N. (2009). An open trial in the NHS of blues Begone a new home based computerised CBT program. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 37, 541-551.
Courses offered to GPs
Computerised CBT in primary and secondary care
View photos of my work
Click an image to enlarge and read a description
View videos on youtube
- BSc Hons first class Lancaster univevrsity 1990
- D.Phil Psychology University of Oxford 1994
- MSc Cognitive behavioural therapy Metropolitan Univeristy 2007
- BPS Diploma in Counselling Psychology British Psychological Society 2000
- Advanced Diploma in Psychotherapy PHYSIS 2001
- EMDR EMDR UK and Ireland 1994
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Health and care professions register Professional psychologist 2009
- Chartered Psychologist British Psychological Society 2000
- Accredited cognitive Behavioural therapist BABCP 2009
Details of entry to specialist register
- BABCP, 2009
- Regus, 200 Brook Drive, Green Park, Reading,...
- 09:30 - 17:00
- 07801 289787
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.