- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Video & Telephone remote therapy sessions
Ian has been working in Mental Health for the past twenty years in a variety of professional settings. Ian offers particular services to professional bodies and individuals as described in more detail on his website. The services listed on this site are based on Ian’s continuing and varied experience in the field of Mental Health offering clients a professional and customised service depending on their identified needs.
Ian is an experienced psychotherapist having worked in both NHS and private settings and he will work with clients with a range of presentations.
Areas of interest
Depression/ low mood; Stress/ anxiety; Issues of identity; Panic; Self-esteem; Relationship difficulties; Obsessional thinking; Bereavement; Difficulties relating to loss, change and transition; Surviving trauma
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Physical disability
Current NHS consultant posts held
Psychotherapist in private practice
Independent Social Work Consultant
University of Hertfordshire
August 2005 – Present
Teaching on the DClinPsyc training- psychotherapeutic skills
A psychological approach to expert witness court appearances
Gillman-Smith, I. Politics, Psychotherapy and Personal Construct Psychology.
In: Personal Construct Psychology in an Accelerated World. Serbian Constructivist Association. Belgrade: EPCA Publications
In a book by Stojnov, D, Dzinovic, Pavlovic, J, Frances, M. (eds)
Gillman-Smith, I. & Watson, S. Group psychotherapy and personal construct psychology: working with borderline personality disorder.
In Personal Construct Psychotherapy: Advances in Theory and Practice. London: Whurr Publishers
In a book by Winter, D.A. & Viney, L.L. (eds)
Winter,D.A, Watson, S, Gillman-Smith,I, Gilbert, N & Acton,T. Border Crossing: a personal construct group therapy approach for clients with a diagnosis of borderline personality
Psychological constructivism and the social world. Milan: Franco Angeli
In a book by Gabriele, C & Nuzzo, M.L. (eds)
Courses offered to GPs
Confidentiality in psychotherapy, a talk to be given by Ian will to the psychologists Protection Society June 2014.
- BSc Psychology/ Biology University of Keele. 1988
- MSc in Social Policy and Social Work Studies (Econs) and a Certificate Qualification in Social Work (CQSW). London School of Economics 1992
- Advanced Diploma Course in Personal Construct Psychology Personal Construct Psychology Education and Training 2001
- Approved Social Worker Hertfordshire and Barnet Consortium 2002
- Foundation Course in Personal Construct Psychology Personal Construct Psychology Education and Training 1996
- Practice Teachers Award in Social Work Royal Holloway University 2000
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Registered Psychotherapist United Kingdom Council Psychotherapy 2001
- Registered Social Worker Health Care Professions Council 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- British Psychological Society Graduate Member, 2002
- British Assocation of Social Workers, full member, 2000
Affiliations / memberships
On the Register of ‘Checked’ Expert Witness with Sweet and Maxwell
Appointed Director on the Board of Directors for Personal Construct Psychology Education and Training Ltd. (2005-current)
Chair of the Experiential Constructivist Section of the UKCP and member of the Governing Board of UKCP. Dec. 2001-Dec. 2002
Member of the Board of Governors for a North London Independent Primary School. (2007-2011)
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.