- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Behaviour Therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Trauma focused CBT
I have 15 years experience of using CBT, in the NHS and privately, with a wide range of problems including anxiety, depression, eating disorders, psychosomatic disorders etc. I am very committed to my work and aim to ensure that I have a good therapeutic relationship with my patients, use CBT to a high standard based on a good formulation of the problems, and particularly ensure that progress is maintained.
Areas of interest
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD); Panic disorder; Health anxiety; Social phobia; Specific phobias; Eating disorders; Individual therapy; Depression; Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); Anxiety disorders; Bereavement; Psychosomatic disorders; chronic fatigue syndrome
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Neurological disorders
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
- Physical disability
- Hazel Kinsella
- 15 Farm Rd Chilwell Nottingham NG9 5BZ
- 0115 943 6378
Video and telephone consultations
- Offers video and telephone consultations
Current NHS consultant posts held
I have a professional background in nursing, and am qualified in Psychiatric and General nursing. I have worked as a CBT therapist in the Nottingham Health Care Trust since 1996 in a post split between the Psychotherapy Unit, with Dr Richard Fox, and the Dept of Psychological Medicine at Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, with Dr Chris Schofield.
I have recently been 'highly commended' by my employer for lifetime acheivement.
I have taught CBT widely and am currently lecturer on the PG Dip/MSc in CBT at Nottingham University.
I have published two books on CBT and various articles.
I am a thoughtful, kind and skilled therapist. I am married with two children and enjoy sport, music and reading.
I am accredited with the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy (BABCP.COM). My training in Psychotherapy has been obtaining the Diploma in behavioural psychotherapy from the Maudsley Hospital/Institute of Psychiatry, London, in 1996, and I have also completed an MSc in Psychotherapy/REBT from London University. I have recently completed the advanced diploma in Cognitive therapy at Oxford University.
I have recently competed Level one EMDR.
(Additional) Languages spoken
1) Kinsella P (1990) ‘Staged Fright: Munchausen’s Syndrome’ Nursing Times Vol 86, 31, pp27-29.
2) Kinsella P (1992) ‘Medical and nursing approaches to people with mental illness’ Nursing Standard, Vol 6, 31, p43.
3) Kinsella P (1992) ‘Are patients happy with nursing care?’ Nursing Times, Vol 88, 44, p58.
4) Kinsella P (1993) ‘Developing a model of cognitive behavioural therapy nursing for acute in-patient psychiatric care’ Professional Nurse, Vol 9, 2, pp98-100.
5) Kinsella P (2001) ‘Factitious disorder: a cognitive behavioural perspective’ Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy Vol 29, 2, pp195-202.
6) Kinsella P (2002) ‘Review: behavioural interventions show the most promise for chronic fatigue syndrome (commentary)’ Evidence Based Nursing Vol 5, p46.
7)Kinsella P (2002) ‘Food for thought; psychological approaches to obesity’ The rational emotive behavioural therapist.
8) Kinsella P (2007) Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Routledge (Book) http://www.cbtarena.com/books/Cognitive-Behavioural-
9) Kinsella P and Garland A (2008) Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Mental Health Workers: a beginner’s guide. Routledge (Book) http://www.cbtarena.com/books/Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy-for-Mental-Health-Workers-isbn9781583918708
Courses offered to GPs
Can be negotiated.
- Advanced Cognitive Therapy Oxford university 2010
- Psychotherapy (REBT) MSc London University 2002
- EMDR Level one Pproved by http://www.emdr-europe.org 2014
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chair East Midlands BABCP 2015
Details of entry to specialist register
- BABCP, 1998
- NMC, 1979
Affiliations / memberships