- Bupa Platinum consultant
- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
I have been working as a Consultant Anaesthetist in Addenbrooke’s hospital, Cambridge since 2005. I have a special interest in Ultrasound Guided Regional anaesthesia (USGRA), Orthopaedic anaesthesia and anaesthesia for liver and multivisceral transplantation.
I was an elected board member of RA-UK from 2014-2017.
I have published national guidelines in 2015 on ‘Consent for peripheral nerve blocks’ under the auspices of RA-UK.
I am actively involved in teaching regional anaesthesia. I have organised Cambridge Cadaveric Anatomy and Ultrasound Guided Regional Anaesthesia Course since 2005. This course is well attended by both national and international delegates. I also teach on number of national and international courses.
I have set up and maintained educational website for regional anaesthesia: www.nerveblocks.co.uk
I am faculty for MSc in Regional anaesthesia run by University of East Anglia.
In recognition of my efforts to teach regional anaesthesia in UK and abroad, I was awarded 'Unsung Hero' award at RA-UK annual meeting in Belfast in 2019
I am lead for transplant anaesthesia (Liver and Multivisceral transplant) at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, UK.
Publications in medical journals
1. Sardesai AM, Brown NM, Menon DK. Deliberate release of biological agents. Anaesthesia. 2002 Nov;57(11):1067-82
2. Sardesai AM, Denny NM, Herrick MJ, Lynch A, Harrop-Griffiths AW. Study of the characteristics of single-shot insulated block needles in a biological model. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2004 Sep-Oct;29(5):476-9.
3. Sardesai AM, Chakrabarti AJ, Denny NM. Lower lobe collapse during interscalene infusion at home. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2004 Jan-Feb; 29(1):65-8.
4. Sardesai AM. Monitoring techniques: Neuromuscular blockade. Anaesthesia and Intensive care. June 2005 :198-200.
5. Cash CJC, Sardesai A, Berman L, Herrick M, Treece GM, Prager RW, Gee AH. Spatial mapping of the brachial plexus using three-dimensional ultrasound. Br J Radiol. 2005 Dec;78(936):1086-94
6. Sardesai AM, Patel R, Denny NM, Menon DK, Dixon AK, Herrick MJ. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the cervical spine to improve the safety of interscalene block. Anesthesiology. 2006 Jul;105(1):9-13.
7. Russon K, Ridgeway S, Sardesai AM, Whittear J, Sildown D, Denny NM. Post-operative Shoulder Surgery Initiative (POSSI). Br J Anaesth. 2006 Dec;97(6):869-73.
8. N. Siddaiah, A. Sardesai Role of ultrasound in modern day regional anaesthesia. Current Anaesthesia & Critical Care. 2009 Volume 20, Issue 2, Pages 71-73.
9. Barr L, Iyer US, Sardesai A, Chitnavis J. Tourniquet failure during total knee replacement due to arterial calcification: case report and review of the literature. J Perioper Pract. 2010 Feb;20(2):55-8.
10. Sardesai A, Hujazi I, Khanduja V. Surgical access warming blanket to prevent hypothermia after hip arthroscopy. Arthroscopy. 2012 Aug;28(8):1045-6
11. Garner M, Alsheemeri Z, Sardesai A, Khanduja V. A Prospective Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing the Efficacy of Fascia Iliaca Compartment Block Versus Local Anesthetic Infiltration After Hip Arthroscopic Surgery. Arthroscopy. 2017 Jan;33(1):125-132
12.Not everything is as it seems.Biyani G, Sardesai AM, Rensburg LV. Saudi J Anaesth. 2020 Jan-Mar;14(1):104-106.
Areas of interest
Ultrasound Guided Nerve Blocks
Orthopaedic Surgery- I work with Mr Vikas Khanduja, Mr Alistair Vince, Mr Graham Tytherleigh-Strong, Mr Lee Van Rensburg and Mr Fred Robinson both in NHS and Private sector
Plastic surgery- Mr Ian Grant
Liver and Multivisceral transplantation
Reference number 5192343
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Primary stabilisation of multi-directional instability of shoulder joint +/- tendon repair - (1-5)
Injection(s) +/- aspiration, into joint, cyst, bursa with image guidance - (1-5)