- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 29 Apr 2020
- Sleep disorders
Graduated in 1989 and took Postgraduate degree in Respiratory Medicine in 1994. Completed dual certification in Respiratory and General Medicine in 2002 and has been on the Specialty Register of the UK Royal Colleges since then.
Practicing as Consultant Respiatory and General Physician at Bedford Hospital since 2002.
I am currently clinical lead for the Respiratory services and an Undergraduate Speciality Tutor and Recognised Clinical Teacher for the Cambridge Medical Students. I am also an Educational Supervisor for Foundation doctors and Specialist Registrars.
Areas of interest
Cough; Asthma; COPD; Lung cancer; Sleep disorders / Sleep apnoea; Non-invasive ventilation; Interstitial lung disease including Sarcoidosis; Asbestosis; Pleural disorders
Current NHS consultant posts held
Bedford Hospital NHS Trust
Actively involved in multi centre clinical trials.
Was Principal Investigator for the ACCLAIM trial, PROMIS trial and AUSTRI Asthma research study.
Was a sub investigator for the TIPAC study.
Cough, Asthma, COPD, Lung cancer, Sleep apnoea, Non Invasive Ventilation and Interstitial lung diseases.
Excellent Teaching Award - University of Cambridge Clinical School of Medicine.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Malayalam - Fluent
- Hindi - Conversational
A Randomized Controlled Trial To Assess the Optimal Dose and Effect of Nebulised Albuterol in Acute Exacerbations of COPD – Suresh Nair, Enson Thomas, Stanley B. Pearson and Michael T. Henry – Chest 2005;128;48-54.
Petousi N, Mathew J, Thomas EC. A patient presenting with generalised lympadenopathy – sarcoidosis, lymphoma or tuberculosis? -
BMJ Case Reports 2012;10.1136/bcr.11.2011.5150.
The following 2 papers were presented at the 10th Annual British Thoracic Oncology Group Conference 2012, in Dublin, Ireland:
1. EGFR mutational testing in non-squamous lung cancer: 12 months experience from a Cancer Unit in UK V.Bulusu, Y.Jeffs, S.Jessop, O-P Kwame, E.Thomas, A.Egan, P.Hicks, M.Azher
2. Lung Cancer in patients older than 75 years- referral pathways, interventions and outcomes: experience from a cancer unit Y.Jeffs, K.Adu-Poko, M.Azher, A.Egan, P.Hicks, E.Thomas, T.Broadhurst, V.Bulusu
3. Maintenance therapy in COPD: time to phase out ICS and switch to the new LAMA/LABA inhalers?Tariq SM, Thomas EC
Courses offered to GPs
Regularly teach GP's in the community and in Hospital. The talks delivered includes the following topics:
Interstitial Lung Disease including Sarcoidosis
- MBBS University of Calicut 1989
- MD in Respiratory Diseases University of Delhi 1994
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians (UK) 1997
- CCST (UK) (Respiratory & General Internal Medicine) The Speciality Training Authority of the Medical Royal Colleges (UK) 2002
- Sleep Medicine Course Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh 2007
- National Advanced Communication Skills Training National Cancer Action Team 2007
- Thoracic Ultrasound Course John Radcliffe Hospital 2009
- Good Clinical Practice National Institute for Health Research 2010
- ERS Practical Workshop on Thoracoscopy and Pleural Techniques ERS, Marseille, France 2010
- Severe Asthma Masterclass Novartis Pharmaceuticals, Reading 2014
- Advanced Diagnostic Bronchoscopy Imperial College, London 2015
Reference number 4764867
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow Royal College of Physicians of London 2008
- Fellow American College of Chest Physicians 2000
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCST (UK) (Respiratory & General Internal Medicine), 2002
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the Royal College of Physicans (London)
Member of Medical Protection Society
Member of British Thoracic Society
Member of East Anglian Thoracic Society
Gold member of European Respiratory Society
Member of American Thoracic Society
Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians
Life member of Indian Medical Association
- BMI The Manor Hospital, Church End, Biddenham,...
- 16:00 - 19:00
- 01234 369043
- BMI The Saxon Clinic, Chadwick Drive, MK6 5LR
- 15:00 - 18:00
- 01908 665533
- BMI Three Shires Hospital, The Avenue,...
- 16:00 - 20:00
- 01604 620311
- Bridges Clinic, Bedford Hospital, Kempston...
- 16:00 - 17:30
- 01234 792000
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Myself on 07810523349
Secretary (Sheron Eastham) on 07787790628