- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional is currently treating patients. Please speak to them to find out more about their availability.
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Oculoplastic surgery
- Surgical lacrimal
Professor Harpreet Ahluwalia joined the University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust (UHCW) as a Consultant Ophthalmologist with a special interest in oculoplastics, orbital and adnexal surgery in 2003. He has spent over 31 years in full time ophthalmology gaining comprehensive training in all aspects of ophthalmology. He received his higher surgical training in ophthalmology at University Hospital of Wales Cardiff. He has spent over two years sub specialising in ophthalmic, plastic and reconstructive surgery, first at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London and then at the Royal Perth Hospital, Perth Australia.
Professor Harpreet Ahluwalia has an expertise in eyelid surgery, tear duct surgery, ptosis correction, Entropion correction, Ectropion correction, Excision of eyelid cancerous lesions like basal cell carcinoma, SCC etc.functional blepharoplasties (upper and lower eyelids), functional brow lifts, almost scarless excision of moles, lumps and cysts. He deals with Thyroid Eye disease or any Orbital pathology and Proptosis (Bulgy Eyes). He also specialises in Ocular Surface disease and Blepharitis.
He deals with all aspects of ophthalmology but has a special interest in ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery viz, tightening of eyelids, ptosis correction, tear duct surgery, orbital surgery, Eye removal with orbital implant, excision of moles, lumps, cysts, skin tags etc. He has specific expertise in dealing with periocular (around the eye and on the eyelids) malignancy and is lead clinician ophthalmic cancer services at UHCW.
Professor Ahluwalia has received six clinical excellence awards.
Professor Ahluwalia is the author of over 52 peer reviewed publications in international journals and regularly presents at national and international meetings with over 112 presentations at national and international meetings.. His training programme in oculoplastics is approved by the Royal College of Ophthalmologists for senior trainees (ST7)choosing to sub specialise in ophthalmic plastic surgery. Professor Ahluwalia is the Head of school of Ophthalmology for Health Education West Midlands and Senior clinical Lecturer for Warwick University.
Professor Ahluwalia is married to Navneet and has two children Nimrat and Triman. He is passionate about cricket and enjoys travelling.
Professor Ahluwalia is a Professor of Ophthalmology at Aston Medical school and has over 30 years experience of teaching at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level.
Professor Ahluwalia is the Head of School of Ophthalmology for the West Midlands and responsible for delivery of Postgraduate Education and training in the region.
Areas of interest
Oculoplastics; Eyelid surgery, Droopy eyelid (ptosis), blepharoplasty (Eye bag surgery), minor eye-lid procedures,like chalazions, lid mole excision etc. eye-lid cancer surgery, Entropion (inturning of eyelid), Ectropuion (outward turning of Eyelid), removal of lumps & bumps.
Lacrimal (tear-duct) disorders; Dacryocystorhinostomy.
Orbital surgery/ disorders; like Thyroid Eye Disease, tumours etc.
Eye Removal with orbital implant
Eye - external disorders; General Ophthalmology
- Hazel Simpson
- University Hospital Clifford Bridge Road Coventry CV2 2DX
- 024 7696 6506
- 07747 767027
- 024 7696 6512
Anaesthetists worked with
Professor Harpreet Ahluwalia has worked with Dr Joy Beamer at the following hospitals:
- BMI The Meriden Hospital (1-5)
- Professor Harpreet Ahluwalia: http://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/consultant
- Professor Harpreet Ahluwalia: http://www.oculofacialplasticsurgery.co.uk/?LMCL=ynGyem
- Professor Harpreet Ahluwalia: https://www.spirehealthcare.com/consultant-profiles/mr-harpreet-ahluwalia-c4355429/
- Professor Harpreet Ahluwalia: https://warwick.academia.edu/HarpreetAhluwalia
- Professor Harpreet Ahluwalia: https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/consultants/mr-harpreet-ahluwalia
- Professor Harpreet Ahluwalia: https://www.uhcw.nhs.uk/our-services-and-people/our-people/mr-harpreet-ahluwalia/
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist & Oculoplastic Surgeon
University Hospital Coventry
Professor of ophthalmology
Floppy Eyelid Syndrome
Lacrimal imaging & assessment
Periocular Malignancy & reconstruction
Six Clinical Excellence awards
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Fluent
- Urdu - Fluent
Peer review journals like
Ophthalmic Plastics and reconstructive surgery journal
Courses offered to GPs
Arranged through the BMI, Spire and Nuffield Hospitals.
- MRCOphth,FRCOphth, Royal College of Ophthalmologists London & RCS Edinbugh 1997
- FRCS Royal college of surgeons Edinburgh 1997
- Masters of Surgery King Georges University 1992
- MBBS King Georges University 1988
- Oculoplastic & Adnexal Fellowship Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 2001
- Cornea & Oculoplastic Fellowship Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia 2002
- Residency in ophthalmology King George's Medical College 1988
- Higher Surgical Training in Ophthalmology University Hospital of Wales Cardiff 2002
Reference number 4355429
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Head of School of Ophthalmology Health Education West Midlands 2014
- Professor of ophthalmology Aston University 2019
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2002
Affiliations / memberships
British Oculoplastic Surgery Society BOPSS
European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & reconstructive Surgery ESOPRS
American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS)
Royal College of Ophthalmologists London
Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
General Medical College
Midlands Ophthalmological Society
Professor of Ophthalmology Aston Medical School
- BMI The Meriden Hospital, CV2 2LQ
- 14:00 - 18:30
- 024 7664 7000
- Spire Parkway Hospital Damson Parkway...
- 08:00 - 12:00
- 024 7696 6506
- Warwickshire Nuffield Hospital The Chase...
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 024 7696 6506
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please contact Hazel Simpson on 02476 966 506 or call the hospital where treatment was administered.