- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Lower GI surgery
I am a Consultant Colorectal Surgeon based at Prince Charles Hospital, in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, where I have established a comprehensive colorectal service. I bring over 2 decades of consultant experience to my private practice. I am also an External Professor of Coloproctology, at the Faculty of Life Sciences and Education in the University of South Wales, since 2000.
Before settling down in South Wales, I completed my medical education and achieved a Masters in Surgery in Bombay, India prior to coming to the UK in 1991. I then completed Higher Training in Surgery through various hospitals in Wales, specialising in Colorectal, Laparoscopic and Endoscopic Surgery and also undertook a Visiting Fellowship with the colorectal unit at the Cleveland Clinic in the USA prior to being appointed as a Consultant Surgeon in 1996.
My passion for education has culminated in the launch of a new educational website for colorectal disease aimed at patient education as well as staff training (first of its kind in the world) www.colorectaleducation.com .This website is constantly being upgraded, with material about different procedures being added in on a regular basis.
I have also won several awards including the Winner of the Best Hospital Doctor (Surgery) in the UK, and Best Surgical Trainer in Wales, the NHS Wales award, PEN – UK award etc.I have an active interest in surgical research and teaching with over a hundred publications/presentations and is a regular invited speaker at local and international conferences. Over the past 10 years, I have also been involved in training established consultant surgeons across the UK in the techniques of laparoscopic colorectal surgery.
I undertake private practice specializing in the following areas:
¨ Laparoscopic (key-hole) colorectal surgery,
¨ Early diagnosis and surgical treatment of bowel cancer.
¨ Benign conditions such as diverticular disease, Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative colitis etc.
¨ Day Case/Outpatient treatment for a variety of conditions including fissures, fistula, haemorrhoids etc.
¨ Pioneer in THD operation for haemorrhoids
¨ Colonoscopy and other endoscopy procedures.
Areas of interest
THD for haemorrhoids;
Laparoscopic procedures ('keyhole surgery'); Colorectal surgery (lower GI);
Current NHS consultant posts held
North Glamorgan NHS Trust, Now Cwm Taf University Health Board
• Consultant surgeon - 1996 to date
• Lead Clinician for Cancer Services - 1997 to 2000
• Director of Cancer Services - 2000 to 2004
• Clinical Director of Combined Surgery - 2004 to 2008
• Assistant Medical Director (Education) - 2013 to 2017
Dep RO (Dep to Med Dir) - 2017 to date
University of Glamorgan (now University of South Wales)
• External Professor of Coloproctology - 2000 to
RESEARCH/ AUDIT/ TRAINING/ TEACHING
• Over 100 publications and 200 presentations; Extensive CME and Teaching Experience
• Several local, regional and international lectures on aspects of colorectal surgery
• Supervision of Research Fellows working towards Higher Degrees – several
• Several Local, National & International workshops and Courses for Surgeons, nurses, students
Who’s Who in the World - 1997 • Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Team Work(UK)- Surgery – 1998 • Winner - Hospital Doctor of the Year Award (UK) – 1999 •Joint Winner - Best Surgical Trainer in Wales – 2001.• ACCEA national Bronze award – 2005.• UK Winner – Patient Experience Network in ‘Continuity of Care Category’ – 2010 PEN UK awards •Overall UK Winner – (PEN UK) for Colorectal Cancer Patient Information DVD – 2010 • Winner NHS Wales Award 2011
Please see website - www.profharay.com
Courses offered to GPs
Regular GP lectures/ seminars on:
Criteria for urgent referral in colorectal disease
Common anorectal conditions
- MB;BS University of Bombay 1984
- M.S. Master's in Surgery University of Bombay 1987
- D.N.B (Diplomate) National Board of Examinations, India 1988
- F.R.C.S Royal College of Surgeons (Glasgow) 1992
- F.F.S.T.Ed Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) 2015
Reference number 4146805
Details of entry to specialist register
- Puthucode Haray, 1996
- Cardiff Bay Clinic, CF11 0SN
- 16:00 - 19:30
- 029 2083 6700
- Nuffield Health Vale Hospital, CF72 8JX
- 14:00 - 16:00
- 029 2083 6700
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
I'm contactable via email: