- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Spire Elland Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Refractive surgery
- Surgical retinal
Ms Rahman received specialist ophthalmology training at the Oxford Eye Hospital. She has specialised in diseases of the retina and completed a 2 year fellowship in Vitreo-Retinal Surgery in the same institution. She has been working as a Consultant Ophthalmologist at Calderdale and Huddersfield Foundation Trust since Sept 2002, where she set up, a state of the art, Vitreo-Retinal Service from scratch, providing cover to Huddersfield, Halifax and the surrounding areas.
Cataract is an inevitable consequence of vitrectomy surgery. Ms Rahman has a special interest in combined cataract and vitreo-retinal surgery thus saving patients from a second operation following vitrectomy.
She was one of the first surgeons in the country to offer small incision (23G, 0.6 mm) vitrectomy to her patients to allow quicker visual rehabilitation. Currently she is one of the few retinal surgeons using an even smaller 27 G vitrectomy (0.4mm) for vitrectomy to allow painless eye surgery.
She has pioneered non-posturing macular hole surgery and rigorously performs outcome audits on her surgery to maintain an above average success rate.
Ms Rahman regularly presents her work in national and international meetings and has published over 50 abstracts and 30 papers on various topics in General Ophthalmology & Vitreo-retinal surgery.
Areas of interest
Cataract surgery with choice of standard mono focal lens, multifocal and or Toric lenses; Posterior Vitreous detachment; Floaters; Retinal tear; Macular hole; Retinal detachment; Epiretinal membrane; Advanced diabetic eye disease; Age-related macular degeneration; Retinal vein occlusion; Medical management of glaucoma, Ocular hypertension, Glaucoma suspect; blepharitis; Dry eye; Chalazion cyst; meibomisn gland dysfunction.
- Anne Woodhouse
- Spire Elland Hospital Elland Lane Elland HX5 9EB
- 01422 324020
- Jane Pilgrim
- Spire Elland Hospital Elland Lane Elland HX5 9EB
- 01422 324087
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist at Calderdale and Huddersfield Foundation Trust since Sept 2002.
Combined surgery for management of cataract and posterior segment pathology
Non-posturing macular hole surgery
Vitrectomy for floaters.
Early surgery for epiretinal membrane.
Refractive outcomes after combined phakovitrectomy.
I have 7 clinical excellence points awarded by NHS.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Urdu - Fluent
I have over 30 publications and 50 abstracts that I have co authored on various vitreo-retinal topics. below are listed some of my most recent publications papers:
1. Early surgery for epiretinal memebrane preserves more vision for patients. Eye (lond),2014 Jan 10.
2. Accuracy of intraocular lens power estimation in eyes having phakovitrectomy for rhegmatogenous retinal detachment. Retina.2013 Dec 31.
3. Persistent outer retinal fluid following non-posturing surgery for idiopathic macular hole. Br J Ophthalmol 2013 Nov;97(11):1451-4.
4. Risk factors of iatrogenic retinal breaks induced by separation of posterior hyaloid face during 23-gauge pars plana vitrectomy. Eye (lond) 2013 May;27(5):652-6.
5. A comparison of several methods of macular hole measurement using optical coherence tomography, and their value in predicting anatomical and visual outcomes. Br J Ophthalmol 2012 Jul;96(7):1003-7.
Courses offered to GPs
I regularly update knowledge of optometrists by presenting on pertinent topics as part of the educational program of the local optical society.
I run the Optometry teaching program as a member of the eye care services team.
My retinal reattchment rate is 90%, based on a recent audit of a 100 patients, who underwent retinal detachment surgery under my care,
My non-posturing macular hole surgery success rate is 94% after a single operation.
I am a proponent of early surgery for epiretinal membrane and vitreo-macular traction.In a recent review of 120 patients undergoing epiretinal membrane surgey, 36% patients achieved 6/9 or better vision.
- FRCOpth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 1995
- FRCS Edinburgh Royal College of surgeons in Edinburgh 1992
- Postgrad diploma in cataract & refractive surgery University of Ulstet 2016
Reference number 4146685
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow Royal college of Ophthalmologists, London 1995
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) 1992
- Member British & Eire society of Vitreo-retinal surgeons (BEAVRS) 1998
- Member American society of retina specialists (ASRS) 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophtahlomologist with special interest in vitreo-retinal surgery, 2002
Affiliations / memberships
Member of British & Eire society of Vitreo-retinal surgeons (BEAVRS)
Member of the American society of retina specialists (ASRS)
Member of the UK association of Cataract & Refractive surgeons (UKICRS)
Examiner for Royal college of Physicians & Surgeons, Glasgow.
- BMI Huddersfield Hospital, HD2 2BL
- 14:30 - 17:00
- 01484 533131
- Spire Elland Hospital, HX5 9EB
- 09:00 - 12:30
- 01422 324000
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
01422 324 084