- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
Last updated: 28 Apr 2020
William Atiomo qualified in Medicine, at the University of Ibadan, Nigeria in 1987.
His initial specialist gynaecological training took place in University Hospitals in the Southwest Region of England (Exeter, Bristol and Plymouth).
Following a decision to go into academic medicine, he worked as a clinical lecturer in obstetrics and gynaecology at the Royal Free and University College London Medical School from where he was appointed to his current clinical academic post in Nottingham.
He has been a consultant gynaecologist in the UK for about 18 years.
Areas of interest
Benign Gynaecology, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Menstrual disorders including Uterine Fibroids.
Laparoscopic (Keyhole) Surgery (Hysterectomy, Myomectomy for uterine fibroids, Ovarian Cystectomy, removal of Ectopic Pregnancy, Adhesiolysis, treatment of Endometriosis).
Hysteroscopic Surgery (Myomectomy for uterine fibroids, Endometrial Resection for heavy menstrual bleeding, Resection Of Uterine Septae in infertility or miscarriage) .
General gynaecological surgery; Hysterectomies (Abdominal and Vaginal), myomectomies, ovarian cystectomies and prolapse surgery.
- Elise Johnson
- c/o Mr William Atiomo BMI The Park Hospital Sherwood Lodge Drive Burntstump Country Park Arnold Nottingham NG5 8RX
- 07944 765958
Current NHS consultant posts held
Clinical Associate Professor and Consultant Gynaecologist, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences,
Queens Medical Centre
University of Nottingham.
Family Health Division.
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust. Nottingham. UK.
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
NHS Clinical Excellence Awards
Awards for research and medical innovation
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Yoruba - Conversational
Some key publications
Hardiman, P., Pillay, O.C and Atiomo, W., 2003. Polycystic ovary syndrome and endometrial carcinoma Lancet. 361(9371), 1810-1812.
Atiomo W, Laird D, 2006. UTERINE CANNULA A61B 17/42 (2006.01) (International patent) WO/2006/120451 01/01/1900 00:00:00
Some recent publications.
Clement NS, Oliver TR, Shiwani H, Sanner JR, Mulvaney CA, Atiomo W. Metformin
for endometrial hyperplasia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017 Oct 27;10:CD012214.
Atiomo W, Shafiee MN, Chapman C, Metzler VM, Abouzeid J, Latif A, Chadwick A,
Kitson S, Sivalingam VN, Stratford IJ, Rutland CS, Persson JL, Ødum N,
Fuentes-Utrilla P, Jeyapalan JN, Heery DM, Crosbie EJ, Mongan NP. Expression of
NAD(P)H quinone dehydrogenase 1 (NQO1) is increased in the endometrium of women
with endometrial cancer and women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Clin Endocrinol
(Oxf). 2017 Nov;87(5):557-565. doi: 10.1111/cen.13436. Epub 2017 Aug 18.
Courses offered to GPs
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- FRCOG (Fellow Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists) Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (UK) 2007
- FHEA (Fellow Higher Education Academy). UK Higher Education Academy 2007
- MA (distinction)- Higher and Professional Education Institute of education, University of London 2003
- DM (Doctorate in Medicine) University of Plymouth 1999
- MRCOG (Member Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists) Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (UK) 1994
- MBBS University of Ibadan 1987
- SFHEA (Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy) UK Higher Education Academy 2018
- Joint RCOG/RCR Advanced Certificate in Ultrasound Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology /Radiologists 2001
- Level 2 Minimal Access Surgery (MAS) Accreditation Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2001
Reference number 4145385
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member of the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (RCOG) Reproductive Medicine Clinical Study Group Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCST (Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training) in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (UK). , 2002
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the College of Experts Affiliated to the UK National Institute of Health Research Health Technology Assessment board.
Previous member of the UK Medical Research Council (MRC) College of Experts affiliated to the health sciences and public health research board
- Nottingham Woodthorpe Hospital 748 Mansfield...
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 0115 920 9209
- Sherwood Lodge Drive Burntstump Country Park...
- 19:00 - 20:30
- 0115 966 2000
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details